Pc Engine

jbrodack

gp2x fan
Website
jbrodack.googlepages.com
everyone knows that we don't nearly have a perfect pc engine emulator for the gp2x. I recently tried CPCE and was pretty impressed with it. has better sound than vobbos emu and is about as fast. the source code is included in the download.

this seems like a good base to start from to get a perfect pc engine emulator. anyone interested in using the source code and updating it?

download link here

Wish I could. I must say I do prefer HU6280 to me the games I play the sound is better.
Also my characters get hit they don't disapear they blink like thay should wich is very nice when playing games like Legendary Axe ;)

jbrodack said:
everyone knows that we don't nearly have a perfect pc engine emulator for the gp2x. I recently tried CPCE and was pretty impressed with it. has better sound than vobbos emu and is about as fast. the source code is included in the download.

this seems like a good base to start from to get a perfect pc engine emulator. anyone interested in using the source code and updating it?

download link here

Sweet! When are you gonna start? =D

Joking aside I'd love to see this worked on again. My Turbo Duo is my favorite console. I had high hopes for pc-engine emulation since it was so good on the gp32. It's still good but it just needs a little bit of tweeking. Sadly I'm just a 3D artist that knows only scripting and expressions, and would have a hard time working on this. Haha god know's how many errors I'd get trying to compile this.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was mainly just saying I didnt realize there was a good option that had source code available.
add a better menu and savestates and cpce gets quite close to the perfect pc engine emulator we've wanted.

disappearing is the problem with gp2xegnine cause of frameskip and speed but not something i saw in cpce.

I wish i could start this and thank the mods for moving it to the idea and wish section since I can't do anything.

any devs interested?

jbrodack said:
I was mainly just saying I didnt realize there was a good option that had source code available.
add a better menu and savestates and cpce gets quite close to the perfect pc engine emulator we've wanted.

disappearing is the problem with gp2xegnine cause of frameskip and speed but not something i saw in cpce.

I wish i could start this and thank the mods for moving it to the idea and wish section since I can't do anything.

any devs interested?
I think they would be better off porting the GP32 version. All of the current GP2X ones have awful sound except GP2xengine but that is slow. The Gp32 version has the best sound of any of them.

There have been topics like this but never got any interest from devs. There seems to be more interest in PSX and stuff like that for some reason.

DaveC said:
There seems to be more interest in PSX and stuff like that for some reason.

Well actually, I can only think of a couple of people working on a PSX emulator for the GP2X - one of which you seem to have held a grudge against for years for doing something you deem to be a waste of time. Has it crossed your mind that working on a PC Engine emulator may simply be... boring?

What if we offered a cash reward - a number of forum members, ponying up $5-10 apiece might be incentive. We could offer $2,000 now, plus 15, when we reach Alderaan. Or some such BS.

markiej said:
What if we offered a cash reward - a number of forum members, ponying up $5-10 apiece might be incentive. We could offer $2,000 now, plus 15, when we reach Alderaan. Or some such BS.
Because then we've paid $10 for an emulator. That goes against the free and open GP2X mentality maybe? :)

markiej said:
Most people here are too cheap to donate anything ;).

Orkie said:
markiej said:
Most people here are too cheap to donate anything ;).

I'd definitely donate. I think it's quite sad that the GBA more efficient PC-Engine emu (PCEAdvance) than the GP2X. An interesting thought from the PCEAdvance readme:

PCE has 64kByte of VRAM which can be background and/or sprites,
GBA has 64kByte background and 32kByte sprite VRAM.
The PCE CPU runs at either 1.78MHz (like the NES) or at 7.2MHz (all games seem to use this fast mode), the GBA CPU runs at 16MHz

On a side note, how troublesome would it be to port GBA homebrew to the GP2X? Are the two similar in any ways?

quartercast said:
On a side note, how troublesome would it be to port GBA homebrew to the GP2X? Are the two similar in any ways?
Looking at the souce, incredibly difficult; probably "easier" to start from scratch. PCEAdvance uses a lot of ARM assembly code. Although both the GP2X and the GBA are ARM devices, they are different (ARM9 vs ARM7, programming the GBA is more directly coding the bare metal). The emu also relies on the SRAM and whatnot of the GBA; converting to GP2X would require intricate knowledge of all three systems. Then again, I am not such a great programmer, so who knows...

That would be nice if someone takes some time to ehance one of the PCE emulators.
I don't know if it is difficult or not but it's been almost a year without any PCE emulators optimisation.
This and also the CPC emu (Caprice) too.
Hopefully we have a bunch of homebrew to try while waiting those updates :)

Back