Paypal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CronoTriggerfan

Website
pixelstopolygons.com
I'd always assumed that we could pay with PayPal, as it's what the majority of people use for online transactions. But it would seem GBAX.com doesn't offer PayPal, does this mean that the service won't be available come preorder? I gotta say, that's pretty rotten if that's the case, as that's where all my money is tied up at the moment for this thing... <_<

CronoTriggerfan said:
I'd always assumed that we could pay with PayPal, as it's what the majority of people use for online transactions. But it would seem GBAX.com doesn't offer PayPal, does this mean that the service won't be available come preorder? I gotta say, that's pretty rotten if that's the case, as that's where all my money is tied up at the moment for this thing... <_<
I don't see how its that much of a problem, isn't the payment methods there the same as what you to do tie your bank account type to paypal, i.e. credit/debit cards? How do you think people paid for things before paypal came along? :unsure:

Using my debit card or using my paypal is the same for me, just theres paypal acting as the middle-man between me and the seller when it come to taking money from my bank account.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sometimes people forget that this, being a gaming device, appeals to minors. I'm only 17, I don't have a bank account, a line of credit, or any card whatsoever. My funding is 100% limited to what I've got in my PayPal account, and I've had it there and all saved up for this very reason for quite some time now.

Paypal is a service that protects your credit card information from others... there is a big difference between paying by credit card and by paypal.

I will not (pre)order unless there is a paypal option.

I believe the suggested way around this was to use the Paypal virtual debit service.

That was what was thrown at me when I suggested my main form of payment online (and to date for all of my electronic and media expenses over $70) would not be accepted.

Personally, I will have to think about it more before I am sure I could go through with getting a Pandora if Paypal isn't accepted because debit cards have no protection against fraud in the US and it seems to be increasingly more common for ID thieves to target debit cards. Though I hope to have gotten around to reading up on the virtual debit long before then, and the changes to their policies that have happened since last I read it, which will likely calm much of my fears and leave me eating the cost of the virtual debit.

It's good that you notice that but, It sounds like some of you are overreacting. I know Craig at least had paypal back when he offered off some gp32's on ebay (and of coarse you HAVE to have paypal there). So I honestly think it's just a matter of them not having a button up yet (I haven't looked yet).

the gbax site was fine when i ordered my gp2x and most cards are now covered with your bank anyway.

at the end of the day gbax are a small company so it is very unlikely that they will have anything dodgy happen. its not like amazon or w/e where they have hundreds of staff with access to your account details

He's accepted Paypal in the past along as you include in the transaction what its far, and included a little more (few %) to pay for the fees paypal charge him. However, if he receives 3000 Paypal payments of £200, all kinds of strange things may happen. Its been known before that Paypal have frozen accounts for "investigation" if you receive too many payments at once.

Generally, I hate paypal and keep nothing in the account whatsoever, as you never know when paypal decide somethings fishy and they want to investigate and freeze your account for no reason, and then expect you to give them everything (sometimes including your inside leg measurement) before they'll re-open it.

I've been following this paypal issue and i too am starting to get worried. I don't have a credit/debit card (not something that is as standard in the netherlands as it is in the US) and the paypal card is not an option here either.

IDeal would be ok for me too but don't know if that's a worldwide service yet.

I don't have a credit or debit card. I expected that I'd be able to pay using PayPal.

I'm pretty sure they don't have virtual debit anymore.

UPDATE: never mind, they turned virtual debit into secure cards via plugin...I wonder what the fees are...hmm. Just found out there are no fees.

We do accept it but as Squidge said the problem is they have a habit of suspending accounts if you get too much in them. But I'll give them a call and see what I can arrange (if they actually have a phone line).

craigix said:
We do accept it but as Squidge said the problem is they have a habit of suspending accounts if you get too much in them. But I'll give them a call and see what I can arrange (if they actually have a phone line).
I thank you greatly for looking into this, for me it is the final question on whether a Pandora is right for me or not. Especially since it seems certain homebrew programs for the PSP will never be updated and the only replacement programs are...weak at best in comparison.

What about Google Checkout? It's not as popular right now, but I'm sure Google will work better about this. Anyone tried it? I'm not much into buying online lately and you can't use it in ebay because paypal is owned by the eBay group.

http://checkout.google.com/

CronoTriggerfan said:
Sometimes people forget that this, being a gaming device, appeals to minors. I'm only 17, I don't have a bank account, a line of credit, or any card whatsoever. My funding is 100% limited to what I've got in my PayPal account, and I've had it there and all saved up for this very reason for quite some time now.
Your plenty old enough to get a debit card because im also 17 and I have one !
I too would prefer to oder by paybal but debit card is fine by me.

Korlithiel said:
I believe the suggested way around this was to use the Paypal virtual debit service.

That was what was thrown at me when I suggested my main form of payment online (and to date for all of my electronic and media expenses over $70) would not be accepted.

Personally, I will have to think about it more before I am sure I could go through with getting a Pandora if Paypal isn't accepted because debit cards have no protection against fraud in the US and it seems to be increasingly more common for ID thieves to target debit cards. Though I hope to have gotten around to reading up on the virtual debit long before then, and the changes to their policies that have happened since last I read it, which will likely calm much of my fears and leave me eating the cost of the virtual debit.
I am also quite disappointed that paypal might not be an option. I have most of my $$ in paypal and although I can tranf. the funds to my bank account, paypal is quite convenient for most of my dealings.

Concerning the Virtual Debit Service, I do not believe this is an option. I looked in the paypal debit card and their credit card so that the funds would be tied into my account but PayPal does not off this service to anyone outside of the USA.

So, my only option would be to wait until the Pandora was offered somewhere else that took Paypal or if Craig would take a certified bank cheque.

If he does allow this form of payment, would you still be able to get the pre-order when the cash is not accessable my them, instantly.. ( Craig would have to wait until the cheque was cleared ).

I am a bit puzzled on how this will work.. I sure hope he can get paypal working. I do not mind paying a bit extra for the incured % fees....

There seems to be a lot of mystery surrounding the pre-ordering and paypal there of. Waiting until the Pre-order time/day to get this info and then scramble to organize things does not sit well with me...

D)
David...

Google Checkout is perfectly valid for this and it's easy to setup. Whay about using it instead Paypal? You must pay a 2% but it can be avoided by using AdWords and such.

In the UK you can get a debit card as little as 13/14 years old! If other countries have a much higher limit, you blame the seller for not having paypal to bypass that limit? :p

So with gp32x being the only distrubuter for the 3000 units and based in the UK, it makes sense to not use paypal as an option if paypal increases costs for the seller. You don't have to worry about security either since its from the developer's shop itself!

Wait until the Pandora starts getting through to other sellers that offer paypal as an option, if you absolutely religiously abide by ebay's payment method. :p

I'm none to fond of Google check-out, but that's for other reasons and a past experience that left me wondering about the stability of the service.

MDave said:
In the UK you can get a debit card as little as 13/14 years old! If other countries have a much higher limit, you blame the seller for not having paypal to bypass that limit? :p

So with gp32x being the only distrubuter for the 3000 units and based in the UK, it makes sense to not use paypal as an option if paypal increases costs for the seller. You don't have to worry about security either since its from the developer's shop itself!

Wait until the Pandora starts getting through to other sellers that offer paypal as an option, if you absolutely religiously abide by ebay's payment method. :p

Yes, the guy who signed up today is telling people who have waited for months now to "wait longer". :rolleyes:

Ever considered having a debit card isn't a legal thing, but a parental aspect? Again, I've got money in a PayPal account and am entirely ready to pay for my Pandora that way, but it's not going to magically manifest itself into another form of payment. It's the most widely used form of payment on the internet, why not use it? I could care less if I have to pay a small fee to make up for the dough eBay takes off the top, but just let me purchase my damn Pandora. :angry:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back