Paypal?

Status
Not open for further replies.
CronoTriggerfan said:
Ever considered having a debit card isn't a legal thing, but a parental aspect? Again, I've got money in a PayPal account and am entirely ready to pay for my Pandora that way, but it's not going to magically manifest itself into another form of payment. It's the most widely used form of payment on the internet, why not use it? I could care less if I have to pay a small fee to make up for the dough eBay takes off the top, but just let me purchase my damn Pandora. :angry:
Couple things...first, I trust PayPal a lot less than just using a credit card for transactions, because PayPal, from what I've heard, has a nasty habit of seizing money kept in your account, and if this happens, it is entirely up to PayPal as to what they want to do with it. If anyone attempts to use a credit card fraudulently, on the other hand, it's easy to cal the card provider and have the fraudulent charges removed.

Also, there exist prepaid credit cards that can be used to buy things online - you can buy them in any amount and you don't have to have permission from parents, as far as I know...

Last edited by a moderator:
Tom, it's just an increasingly big pain in the ass for something that should be so simple. You don't like PayPal, fine, but a vast number of people use it and are being alienated by not having it accepted.

Credit card payments are much safer than Paypal transactions, since you're dealing directly with the credit card company, not some middle man (Paypal) that can (and will) delay and hold payments. I used Paypal once before, and it took them one month to process the payment I made with an online company, which is ridiculous.

Ultimately, it's up to the company what payment options they will use. If you don't have a credit card, just ask mommy or daddy to order for you, and pay them up front.

paypal can't seize your money they can just freeze the account, (for 6 months I think?), so basically you can't get money out, but you do get it back.
Even if you try to close your account they can, be like "ok, wait 6 months, and you'll get your money." Basically a precaution so they can't go out of money.

Problem solved

• Reload the Balance Anywhere – Most prepaid debit cards allow you to reload the balance almost anywhere. You can load via PayPal, at most bank branches, any Western Union or MoneyGram location and even by cashiers check or money order.

There are many varieties of these, available in most countries. Check 'em out.

CronoTriggerfan said:
MDave said:
In the UK you can get a debit card as little as 13/14 years old! If other countries have a much higher limit, you blame the seller for not having paypal to bypass that limit? :p

So with gp32x being the only distrubuter for the 3000 units and based in the UK, it makes sense to not use paypal as an option if paypal increases costs for the seller. You don't have to worry about security either since its from the developer's shop itself!

Wait until the Pandora starts getting through to other sellers that offer paypal as an option, if you absolutely religiously abide by ebay's payment method. :p

Yes, the guy who signed up today is telling people who have waited for months now to "wait longer". :rolleyes:

Ever considered having a debit card isn't a legal thing, but a parental aspect? Again, I've got money in a PayPal account and am entirely ready to pay for my Pandora that way, but it's not going to magically manifest itself into another form of payment. It's the most widely used form of payment on the internet, why not use it? I could care less if I have to pay a small fee to make up for the dough eBay takes off the top, but just let me purchase my damn Pandora. :angry:

Don't mean to be hostile in anyway, but don't go assuming I've only found out about pandora today simply because I decided to join the forums today. Thats a shallow argument to make. I've known about it for a while, and just have never had the need to make a post or reply because someone usually posts what I would of said.

quadomatic said:
Ummmm...to have a paypal account, you have to be 18. It's part of their user agreement. So, sorry folks, but the age limit isn't a valid excuse (thought I do hope paypal is accepted regardless).
So this makes it even more of a reason for someone to use debit card payments if they arn't at the the right age to use paypal? :eek: How ironic, seeing posts where people demand paypal only when they arn't even at age to use it compared to other payment methods, meaning they use false information to obtain a paypal account!?

Dave, it's not as if a PayPal account can't be under a legal guardian's name, y'know. And I'm not saying that you've just discovered Pandora today or anything, but telling people who have actually been vested in the product's development to "wait" because, for some reason, GBAX wants to alienate a huge user-base is a bit arrogant.

MDave said:
quadomatic said:
Ummmm...to have a paypal account, you have to be 18. It's part of their user agreement. So, sorry folks, but the age limit isn't a valid excuse (thought I do hope paypal is accepted regardless).
So this makes it even more of a reason for someone to use debit card payments if they arn't at the the right age to use paypal? :eek: How ironic, seeing posts where people demand paypal only when they arn't even at age to use it compared to other payment methods, meaning they use false information to obtain a paypal account!?

Ummm, at least in the United States, you have to be 18 to use a debit card anyways. I would think that a debit card is far more unsecured than paypal. Security keys are even available for paypal for $5 (generates 30 second security codes required for login which are unique to your account). I'm considering getting one, but not sure quite yet.

I don't have PayPal and don't plan to use it. I plan to pay with my VISA credit card. I hope that this will work?

I already used this card to buy plane tickets online (at lufthansa), so I know that it works in general. But will it work here? For example, for some unknown reason, I cannot buy Cedega with this card. Guys at cedega are currently investigating this.

quadomatic said:
I would think that a debit card is far more unsecured than paypal.
Not in this sense: a debit card is limited to what money is placed on the card. Depending on how it's set up, your Paypal account can draw on your bank or credit card to deliver a large amount of additional funds.

CronoTriggerfan said:
Dave, it's not as if a PayPal account can't be under a legal guardian's name, y'know. And I'm not saying that you've just discovered Pandora today or anything, but telling people who have actually been vested in the product's development to "wait" because, for some reason, GBAX wants to alienate a huge user-base is a bit arrogant.
Didn't know you could do that with paypal. Interesting.

I don't mean to sound arrogant when I say 'wait' by the way. You based your argument on the fact I joined today, thinking I havn't 'waited' as long as you or others. I said 'wait' as the last possible option if the other options arn't possible.

There plenty of good reasons why one would wait. If you have ever had the pleasure of being the first to own a variety of consoles on launch, you'll know the problems that usually arise. Mainly hardware defects. I trust the pandora team will make sure that every unit is in top tip condition and at least tested at the factory using the methods available. But even large scale console manufacurers make mistakes, although that can come down to trying to cut down so much on costs that the cheapest materials fail very soon after testing. Another good reason to wait is because of the possibilites other sellers doing special offers and bundles with the pandora that would come about.

CronoTriggerfan said:
Tom, it's just an increasingly big pain in the ass for something that should be so simple. You don't like PayPal, fine, but a vast number of people use it and are being alienated by not having it accepted.
Ask your parents to buy the Pandora with a credit card after transferring the funds from your Paypal account to their checking account. Paypal is different than a normal transaction processing service, and not everyone uses them. Not a big deal. I don't see where the issue is unless you're trying to do it without their knowledge. If their name is on the Paypal account then they're gonna know regardless.

quadomatic said:
MDave said:
quadomatic said:

Ummm, at least in the United States, you have to be 18 to use a debit card anyways. I would think that a debit card is far more unsecured than paypal. Security keys are even available for paypal for $5 (generates 30 second security codes required for login which are unique to your account). I'm considering getting one, but not sure quite yet.

Uhmmm no. You have to be 18 to use a credit card. A debit card such as an ATM card is open to all ages ( including toddlers) at the discretion of the bank. They are generally custodial accounts where both the parents and child's name is on the account, both can operate, and an ATM card is issued for either or both parties.

Paypal is alright in terms of security for online transactions. If you can use a credit card, it's better. By US Law the security you get from credit card companies is far better then Paypal. They also have a ton more power then paypal when it comes to getting money back from bad transactions.

The real disadvantage with paypal is that they have crappy customer service. I wouldn't use them as a bank, merely a service for transactions. Keeping money with paypal is equivalent to keeping lehman brothers stock 3 weeks ago. It may look good, but you're in for a bad dive sooner or later. They don't have normal bank regulations, they aren't FDIC insured, and they have viral practices such as freezing all funds for the most mundane of things.

In essence, DONT KEEP MONEY IN A PAYPAL ACCOUNT. Get a Bank account, and link that, so you're protected by local bank law. Link a credit card, if you can, for better protection.

You guys are taking this discussion WAY out of context, chill. This isn't a debate about whether you love PayPal or think it's a completely insecure extension of the "evil", "fascist" corporate eBay who can take your money whenever they want, so cut it out. It's a discussion of whether or not it should be an offered method of payment, and seeing as it's the most commonly used method for online transactions, I argue that it should be, regardless of whether or not I have to pay more to use it.

It's not you who has to pay more if you use paypal, its the seller. Unless the extra cost is passed to the customer instead. https://www.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/webscr?cm...&countries= . Now for 3000 units at £200 / $330 each, thats a quite a chunk paypal is taking away. Sellers would either have to increase the price to make up for the extra cost, passing the cost to the customers, or not use paypal at all saving money for either side. Fingers crossed Craig gets something sorted out with paypal though so paypal don't charge extra fees.

I don't think the discussion is getting out of hand, btw. I think it's a rather healthy and informing one for those misinformed. ;)

EDIT: Typo fixes.

Anyone who can access paypal can access other paypal like sites. Some the buyer has to pay more, I think that is how it works with eGold. Maybe they could be an alternative.

CronoTriggerfan said:
This isn't a debate about whether you love PayPal or think it's a completely insecure extension of the "evil", "fascist" corporate eBay who can take your money whenever they want, so cut it out. It's a discussion of whether or not it should be an offered method of payment, and seeing as it's the most commonly used method for online transactions, I argue that it should be, regardless of whether or not I have to pay more to use it.
So this is a discussion of whether or not Paypal should be used, but you don't want to hear any of the reasons why it shouldn't. That's not much of a discussion.

Right now it's being looked into, but Paypal may not be an option. There are several very good reasons why it might not be an option. Instead of sticking your head in the sand and demanding Paypal over and over, perhaps you should spend the next nine days investigating an alternate means of payment.

CronoTriggerfan said:
You guys are taking this discussion WAY out of context, chill. This isn't a debate about whether you love PayPal or think it's a completely insecure extension of the "evil", "fascist" corporate eBay who can take your money whenever they want, so cut it out. It's a discussion of whether or not it should be an offered method of payment, and seeing as it's the most commonly used method for online transactions, I argue that it should be, regardless of whether or not I have to pay more to use it.
It's not a debate about whether we as individuals love PayPal, it's a debate about whether PayPal is effective at what it does. eBay isn't directly involved at all, except insofar as they own PayPal and use it for most transactions.

In fact, outside of eBay I have only used PayPal once to buy anything, and a credit card innumerable times. I don't think it's "the most commonly used method for online transactions" at all, considering non-eBay-related transactions (a valid context in which to debate this issue, since I doubt Craig will be selling Pandoras on eBay officially, at least at first). There are many reasons for this, not least the considerable cost to the seller.

Perhaps Craig could work something out whereby people who want to use PayPal could shoulder the extra costs, but it's unreasonable to claim that " telling people who have actually been vested in the product's development to "wait" because, for some reason, GBAX wants to alienate a huge user-base is a bit arrogant," given that he's under no obligation whatsoever to offer a payment method that results in more cost to him, whether monetary or otherwise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back