Paper Wars

Hello Crow_riot, I´m very sad to hear this all and that this marvelous game won´t be seeing light anytime soon.

I could probably give a hand on generating the required gfx with the current style (paper cut+baked occlusion?) but I won´t actually be free till later this year

and I understand you are a bit burned on working online.

Again, this is a very inspiring game!

Cheers!

Hey guys! Sorry for not jumping in immediately, I wanted to take some time and think about how best to respond.

... screw Traylor park!
Ha, thats a good place to start ;)

I understand that sentiment. I am the only person to blame for this game getting stalled. I am also at fault for not recognizing my own limitations and communicating them to Crow_riot. I sincerely apologize to everyone, especially Crow_riot for not being able to fulfill my responsibilites.

Crow_riot is the most talented programmer I have worked with. He taught me so much. Prior to working with him I really knew nothing about making games. Even now, by having a proper job in the industry, I have come to respect his talents even more. What he does is not easy, and he makes it look effortless.

I love Paper Wars. I am still very passionate about this. I feel regret everyday, knowing that I no longer have the time to finish this game and that I left a good project hanging and a good friend angry.

When I started this project, I was living a relatively solitary life, teaching English at a school in the middle of nowhere Japan. I had nothing but time, and not much money. Things started to change when I got engaged. I sought new work (and actual career). The work I did on Paper Wars got me interviews at a couple of studios here in Japan, and I was hired. I then quit my teaching job, got married, and moved to a new city. I now have responsibilites that I did not before, to friends, to my work, to my wife. The job is great, but I often put in 12 hour days. After work and on the weekends, I just don't have the time or energy to focus another production.

There are many folks who do have the energy to handle a project on their off time. Unfortunately, as of now, I am not this capable. It was my fault for not identifying this earlier and communicating such a fact.

All that said, I am not posessive about this game. If another capable artist would like to pick up the task and contribute some more assets, including their own vision and style, I am totally okay with this! To get the game to a polished, playable enough state, at least for the Pandora community, the game needs a good looking menu at the start, some UI work and audio. It's not a lot of work that is left to do, but it will take some time and patience.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for not being Craig!

You have some good points, traylorpark.

Agreed, what you say sound very similar to my own situation. (Aside from not being in the games industry, but still in SW development.) All of my personal projects have ground to a halt and there seems to be few moments when I find time/motivation to further them.

Happy to see your response regarding Paper Wars! :)

All that said, I am not posessive about this game. If another capable artist would like to pick up the task and contribute some more assets, including their own vision and style, I am totally okay with this! To get the game to a polished, playable enough state, at least for the Pandora community, the game needs a good looking menu at the start, some UI work and audio. It's not a lot of work that is left to do, but it will take some time and patience.
Hi, nice to see you "alive" here. :)
Since crow_riot indicated that there is not that much left to do, I see no reason to screw all the existing graphics and start from scratch, makes no sense. If it's mostly menus 'n stuff nobody would see a difference if another artist finishes that job. For actual ingame content like units, levels etc. it may not that easy but I'm sure that someone can continue with that style, as long as the sources are fully available to pick up.

I wish, my own Blender skills would be enough to help there but they are not. However, the minimalistic art style should help to make it alot easier for people familiar with Blender and 3D graphics.

This does sound promising. If you really have no problem with someone else finishing what has been made by now, there may still be hope, although I guess it's always really hard to get into someone else's code and it still would be preferable if you guys could finish it.

I have my fingers crossed, that at least one of the mighty wizards around here has time and interest in doing it.

Would you consider going via the traditional publisher model? By this I mean pitch the game as it to some publishers, see if any bite, if they do get a minimum guarantee from them, use the minimum guarantee to get any audio/graphics that are missing, do the code tweaks etc. as required and ultimately put the game out on the market. Hopefully make a bit of cash. Ensure the contract only covers iOS/Android if possible. Etc.?
Well pitching is quite a lot of work, which requires time, I don't have at the moment. Additionally there are some private contracts which in the end will make it difficult for me going down that road.

Well for the ones who are interested ... this is the "latest" version of Paper Wars, it's quite old already but contains the last 2 maps traylorpark created along the at-that-time-of-the-build work-in-progress AI.

So it's by far not the finished version and I also think not the latest version when it comes to AI and UI and such. It also has some bugs, but you get the idea where we've been heading to.

I can't give any support for this at the moment, try it at your own risk. If you have feedback, I'll be happy to hear it.

http://crow.riot.org/paperwars/paperwars-v1.0.0.pnd

machi_koro_deluxe.jpg

I thought this looked similar in style to the japanese pandorabox, so i wondered if that was what he was doing.

Hi all :)

@ crow_riot: thanks for releasing that latest version ! 

Some feedback now (from my Rebirth Pandora, SZ 1.72, GPU driver 4.03.00.02): when I click on the "HQ" in order to produce some new units, I only get white squares in place of a preview of available units. Is this a display bug or some missing assets ?   

Cheers, Magic Sam

Hi all :)

@ crow_riot: thanks for releasing that latest version ! 

Some feedback now (from my Rebirth Pandora, SZ 1.72, GPU driver 4.03.00.02): when I click on the "HQ" in order to produce some new units, I only get white squares in place of a preview of available units. Is this a display bug or some missing assets ?   

Cheers, Magic Sam
That's one of the parts that never got finished :(

Hey guys! Sorry for not jumping in immediately, I wanted to take some time and think about how best to respond.

... screw Traylor park!
Ha, thats a good place to start ;)

I understand that sentiment. I am the only person to blame for this game getting stalled. I am also at fault for not recognizing my own limitations and communicating them to Crow_riot. I sincerely apologize to everyone, especially Crow_riot for not being able to fulfill my responsibilites.

Crow_riot is the most talented programmer I have worked with. He taught me so much. Prior to working with him I really knew nothing about making games. Even now, by having a proper job in the industry, I have come to respect his talents even more. What he does is not easy, and he makes it look effortless.

I love Paper Wars. I am still very passionate about this. I feel regret everyday, knowing that I no longer have the time to finish this game and that I left a good project hanging and a good friend angry.

When I started this project, I was living a relatively solitary life, teaching English at a school in the middle of nowhere Japan. I had nothing but time, and not much money. Things started to change when I got engaged. I sought new work (and actual career). The work I did on Paper Wars got me interviews at a couple of studios here in Japan, and I was hired. I then quit my teaching job, got married, and moved to a new city. I now have responsibilites that I did not before, to friends, to my work, to my wife. The job is great, but I often put in 12 hour days. After work and on the weekends, I just don't have the time or energy to focus another production.

There are many folks who do have the energy to handle a project on their off time. Unfortunately, as of now, I am not this capable. It was my fault for not identifying this earlier and communicating such a fact.

Yes, um... I may have been a bit harsh. It wasn't meant as badly as it sounds btw. 

Glad to hear @crow_riot made some stuff - but I never could buy a Pandora.
I talked to him sometimes - when we have that ooooold bulletin board… he was an amazing guy and programmer. Same for @traylorpark with his fantastisc skills.

Back