Pandora's Rival: The Gizmondo

That would be difficult. My Gizmondo doesn't have any screws, and the battery is held in using tape :D

DisgruntleElf said:
Squidge said:
uglyhammer.gif

I wouldn't buy another Giz if it was $10, never mind $100. I still have one sitting in pieces in my bottom drawer. It was fun whilst I was hacking it, but once it run homebrew and you noticed the speed of the thing, you kinda lose all interest. (Maybe thats why they didn't allow you to run homebrew? :D)
Put your Giz back in working order and I'll buy it for 10 bucks. What's happened to this board? If it's not the GP2X or Pandora it's the "enemy". Since the announcement of the Pandora, some members have even turned on the GP2X. And now a few members want to take their DaveC's bashing mentality to other forums to promote a product that isn't available for purchase yet. I really hope the Pandora gets released or the makers of straitjackets are going to make a killing.

I think that people are allowed to make fun of a system if they bought it (and in this case, even attempted to program for it).

Last edited by a moderator:
it's not the DaveC bashing but rather his realism that you see when people make mention of reviving a machine that was really not that good when it was new, let alone three years after its death.

Hell the JXD would be better open source. I think the reason there is so much negativity can be reflected by the amount of stupidity it takes to bring something like GIZ back.

I would say this coming to market is more likely than the GIZ.-cb

http://tyrantcompany.com/portable_cube_open.jpg

Squidge said:
That would be difficult. My Gizmondo doesn't have any screws, and the battery is held in using tape :D
Still offering $10 plus shipping. The battery alone is worth that. Never hurts to have spare parts either. I hope that tape isn't extra.

DisgruntleElf said:
What's happened to this board? If it's not the GP2X or Pandora it's the "enemy". Since the announcement of the Pandora, some members have even turned on the GP2X. And now a few members want to take their DaveC's bashing mentality to other forums to promote a product that isn't available for purchase yet. I really hope the Pandora gets released or the makers of straitjackets are going to make a killing.
Because FanBois ( and yes - I do know what that particular spelling implies ) are the same the world over.

Meh.
I'm not a fan of Freer - he has found himself carrying the stigma of the last clusterfcuk, ruining his credibility. And for a salesman, once you've lost credibility, you've lost everything. So - the cheapest way of improving his image is to make the attempt to relaunch.
It doesn't matter if it succeeds or not, just that by being seen to try to set things right, his credibility ( at least amongst the credulous ) goes up.
That is only my opinion : I am old and cynical.

None of that matters - The design of the Giz is solid. Its one of the better quality pieces I've had the pleasure to mangle beyond recognition.

For the record - I bought one of the original 2Xs : Its still in pieces in the bottom of a cabinet and has been since the day I got it. And yes: if the Pandora ever surfaces I'll buy one of those too.
I hope the build quality is better, and they've actually paid attention to the errata issued by the chipset manufacturers - they're there for a reason, boys.

Its about the shiny - not the company that spawns it. I don't care what your preference is - there is nothing wrong in appreciating that someone else got an aspect of the design slightly better. Its called "progress".

I watch with interest.
O.

Lets clear a few thing up:

Mr. Freer commented at Georgia Tech that Stefan was hired because he had "contacts" and stated that that move was a regret

The Gizmondo already has a large fanbase.

The Gizmondo may be in retail stores shortly. (Pandora has no shot of ever reaching that milestone)

Otaku said:
None of that matters - The design of the Giz is solid. Its one of the better quality pieces I've had the pleasure to mangle beyond recognition.

Its about the shiny - not the company that spawns it. I don't care what your preference is - there is nothing wrong in appreciating that someone else got an aspect of the design slightly better. Its called "progress".

I watch with interest.
O.
You must not have had many pieces then. I thought the design of the Giz was *terrible*. Small washed out interlaced screen, no stereo speakers, terrible - I mean TERRIBLE GUI and absolutely horrid boot and shut down times (can't just switch the damn thing off, it takes forever), god awful stiff clunky D-pad, "piano keys" that only work if you put all of your weight on them. To me the design of the Giz was a complete disaster. It had me saying "What were they THINKING" alot. The only thing that I liked about it was the rubbery coating.

MaGaIn said:
Lets clear a few thing up:

The Gizmondo already has a large fanbase.
It does? What, 30 or so fanboiz? Large fanbase :lol:

MaGaIn said:
The Gizmondo may be in retail stores shortly. (Pandora has no shot of ever reaching that milestone)
Without weighing into any fanboy debate, Gizmondo making it onto retail shelves says no more about its quality than a Top40 appearance says about Britney's talent.

If the giz makes it to retail stores, chances are that within a week it will only be found in the bargain bin next to Barbie's dance grove 20.

Sorry, I owned one and must side with DaveC, it was a piece of padded dickweed.

I still have a PC Engine LT, just goes to show if it was worth keeping I would still have it.

Let me further clear a few things up:

Freer is not Stefan, he seems like a good guy that doesn't want to make a waste of something he thought was good (he has the same mentality as the N-gage team, take that as you will).

Even though Pandora may not reach retail, I wouldn't consider retail as that much of a milestone anymore honestly (those who pay close attention to both sides of the industry know what I'm talking about).

The Gizmondo has a good sized fanbase more in the lines of a cult following.

-I love all you new people ;).

Yeah, actually.....both that and the QD (I loved my QD, it was practically bulletproof).

They are misunderstood; but all the people who owned atleast the QD, loved them.

They are the product of having too much ambition with their marketing. They pretty much created their own downfall. Side-talking was retarded but it was fun while that lasted.

IMHO they had the best version of the original THPS and the N-gage Arena was pretty innovative at the time for what it was.

I loved that time period though; that whole thing was going on while the Zodiac was called the "Helix" and it had a kick ass website that I loved checking back every week to see each feature they unveiled of the system until they showed the entire system (maybe Pandora should do something like that....nah, we no too much already).

Hold on....

The Gizmondo also had a feature called "Smart Ads." In exchange for a discount on the Gizmondo (of $170 in the US, £100 in the UK), up to three advertisements per day would be displayed on the handheld’s screen. Although the ads would not interrupt game play or other functions of the unit, the user would be forced to watch them before going on to the next function or shutting down the device. However because of the closure of the company, "Smart Ads" currently do not run on the 'Smart Ads' enabled devices.

That's not a feature....that's torture

namco said:
Hold on....

The Gizmondo also had a feature called "Smart Ads." In exchange for a discount on the Gizmondo (of $170 in the US, £100 in the UK), up to three advertisements per day would be displayed on the handheld’s screen. Although the ads would not interrupt game play or other functions of the unit, the user would be forced to watch them before going on to the next function or shutting down the device. However because of the closure of the company, "Smart Ads" currently do not run on the 'Smart Ads' enabled devices.
That's not a feature....that's torture

Talk about it. Three ads may seem small but every day you boot it up and get those ads it would be torture. It would get to the point that when you buy another handheld you wouldn't sell your old one, you'd throw it at a wall.

Back