Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Meh.

• I dislike it

• I hate it

• Total voters

I am liking the design so far, clean and simple is the best way to go. The retro look does not bother me.
I prefer it.

I would definitely prefer black over white. I am already getting too much wIte-pod overload.

The D-Pad design did not initially grab my praise, but I will reserve my full opinion when I can get my thumb on it. :)

The only other issue I had (with the renders) is the DC jack. I know you have a lot to cram in that little box, but why on the front? I would think the rear would be a better choice.

Anyway, keep up the great work guys. Looking good!

Jackd said:
craigix said:
We also need to get across how small thing thing is to you, it's smaller than the GP2X, even a childs hands can reach the analogue sticks.
awesome more like a ds, im just glad its niot zaurus sized. how will the screen be protected from the analog sticks in your pocket? im worried that if the solution is a large gap then coins and stuff can slip into it and scratch the screen

There's a little curve, so that there's a gap between the screen and the sticks, but not between the two halves of the case.

Last edited by a moderator:
craigix said:
I've not submitted anything anywhere, really this little teaser was just meant for you guys, got a link?
Seriously, you are developing one of the most powerful gaming devices on the planet and you expect the word not to get out in this day and age? *tsk tsk* ;)

naples39 said:
Lack of vertical use is a BIG bummer for me. I use my GP2X for vertical MAME more than anything other single program or emulator (Donkey Kong, Tiger-Heli, Pacman, Galaxian, DK Jr.).
Yeah this design does make hundreds of arcade titles more awkward to play. That is kind of a disadvantage to the DS style. I guess it was more important to not have to use a separate case to protect the screen then to play MAME though.

Vertical play is not impossible though. As long as the thing opens 180 degrees flat you could still hold the keyboard section with your thumb on the pad and use the left-most keyboard keys for fire etc. The screen would hang over your left hand. Not ideal but it is doable. Let's hope for configurable controls in MAME, Final Burn etc.

I think you need more dual function keys (keys with more things printed on them accessible by hitting a Fn, Alt, etc key) as there are just not enough keys on the keyboard for many things.

The dual SD slots is a big WIN. Hopefully one will support SDIO for some cool expansion.

Overall I think it will work out well.

First of all, I want to say how impressed I am with the people behind this project. A hand full of people set out to make their own device and have it be nearly everything they could have wanted it to be. Seriously, that is really damn impressive. Gigantic multi-million dollar companies fail to grab my attention or my imagination but the moment I heard about this project I started to haunt these forums and tried not to drool on my keyboard. Throw in the fact that this community is rock solid with demigod programmers and I know this is going to be momentous.

Now that I'm done with the ass kissing, I want to talk about the design and functionality. Pandora resembles a Nintendo DS Lite on major steroids and will likely be banned from playing in the MLBA. It also looks like something Ben Heck might make (http://benheck.com/category/gaming/). Yes, there's a hell of a lot of buttons, knobs and switches crammed into a small area but think about the over all size of the device. I read that it's supposed to be slightly smaller than the GP2X?? So I'm going to be able to fit this super computer in my pocket? That's some good engineering. The clam shell design only adds to the ease of storage and protection of the all important screen.

As far as the looks, I think of the difference between the hot girl next door and a super model. Super models are often vain, pretentious and vapid. The moment they open their mouth you want to turn off your brain's ability to listen. If it wasn't for their exotic beauty you wouldn't care they existed. But then there's the hot girl next door. She may not be gracing the magazines and award shows but she's cute, smart and you can relate to her. The Pandora may not be exotic like the Iphone or the PSP 2000, but it has every thing that counts in spades. I really do like the design and it grows on me the more I see it. I hope that Craigix and the other people release some more pics, maybe some comparison shots next to other hand held devices.

So that's what I think. Again, congratulations on the Pandora project and I can't wait to purchase two or three units. I might give one to a friend. Maybe.

I for one love the design! When i first saw it, i thought that it was ok... but as i continued to look at it, the more it grew on me. I was already sold on this machine, but when i saw a pic of the black model on: http://openpandora.ca , i got even more excited.

Things i like about it:
- The clamshell, instant screen protection. ( i was hoping for a clamshell and NOT a slider, although i would have still bought it anyway)
- D-pad, nice design.
- Dual SDHC card slots, can you say 32GB x2?
- The volume slider, i prefer this to a dial (gp32).

I really don't have anything negative to say about the design. I'm sure it will work good enough for whatever application that you use the most for. I'm sure mweston and crew took the time to feel and test it in their hands, thus the design we have now is the result of all their efforts.

I know that you can't please everyone with the design and that everyone will always have their opinions and criticism of it. But to me, i STILL would buy this thing even if it was butt ugly! Well... maybe not too butt ugly, but you catch my drift. I mean to be able to potentially have full speed n64, psx, snes, mame, etc and watch movies, wi fi, touchscreen, tv out, usb, Dual SDHC and with gaming controls? Pandora has Everything i've always wanted on a handheld. I was going to get a Nokia 810, but not anymore as i wont be needing it.

Questions for MWeston, Squidge, Craigix and co:
- Will the keyboard be able to light up? (would be cool but if not no biggie)
- Is there a slot to put a stylus in?
- Just to confirm, that black will be an available color option?
- Approx battery life? (i read that it will last long, but just wanted to get a ball park figure)

Can't wait til i get this machine! Good job guys!

A suggestion for the power/charge light. At the moment, it looks like the LED would be hidden when the lid is closed. So when charging while closed, the LED could not be seen. Could the LED extend further up and on to the top of the hinge so it can be seen when the lid is closed as well as open?

I just wanted to give kudos to Craig for fixing the 1gb confusion.

As for the design, it has everything I could ever want. I like to travel and when I travel, I travel light. This lovely gadget is all I will need to take, thanks to the built in wi-fi with keyboard I can email friends and get some snes games in on the flight all with the same device. Genius.

Yeah, just to restate it, the button spacing is definitely something to consider, big time. Even just a slight bit more than the 2X would be really good. If that's doable, of course.

lol, I still hold by SNES style button placement. (Obviously not a deal breaker, hahaha)

Oh man, now you got me excited. I can't wait! :D

craigix said:
We also need to get across how small thing thing is to you, it's smaller than the GP2X, even a childs hands can reach the analogue sticks. If you want a real size cardboard render posted to you we can send one :)

We are enjoying reading this though, we can make them any colour you like. The 1Gb (we were never happy with that either) has been removed from the site and we will turn the console black.
Holy crap! Smaller than the gp2x with a bigger screen, i'm loving this machine even more. Happy to hear it will be available in black. Yes, i want real size a cardboard render posted to me, let me know where to send my info to. Thanks craigix.

I must say, there is a few flaws in the design for me. I like it but it's not perfect. One big thing is, that I would want to be able to use both analog sticks and the abxy buttons at the same time for some fps action. I am not sure how that problem could be solved though, maybe it is playable like this already. I would have also liked it, if the keyboard was slide out. It would probably look more slick and when gaming without the keyboard, it would be more convenient to hold, especially with the touchscreen. I do see that the screen will be more protected like this on the other hand. We might not even need a pouch to carry it in.

No matter what, I think it's still a winner. I'll definately get me on of those. Also I understand, that these pictures are rather quick mockups and the final product will look a little more slick.

xnopasaranx said:
I would want to be able to use both analog sticks and the abxy buttons at the same time for some fps action
Just move your thumb, like you would on something else.

well no. If you are playing an FPS on the xbox for example you use the right analog stick for aim. So imagine yourself tangled up in a hectical game of quake3, strafing about. Now you need to move your thumb that you normally have on the analog stick back to the keys to do some action... this might be a little awkward. The shoulder buttons would ofcourse be used to shoot and to jump, so that wouldn't be a problem.

Not saying that it wouldn't work, but it wouldn't work as well. I wouldn't have an idea on how to change that though, considering the limited space on a handheld. Just putting it out there.

EDIT: Just had a look at my trusty old psx dualshock controller. If the analog sticks on the pandora were to be installed a little above the dpad and the buttons, sort of forming a trapezoid, that would pretty much solve the problem. I think this design will be perfectly playable then. Also taking into consideration how tiny this little miracle machine is. Man, this thing is going to wipe the floor with the psp emulation and homebrew wise.

EDIT2: The more I look at the mockups, the more I am beginning to love this piece of kit.

I must say that I hate this design.

* If anything, it needs to be larger than a GP2X. Think Atari Lynx but not quite as wide.
* No clamshell please
* Big freaking touch screen
* PSX/N64 controller style controls.
* I'm not in love with the keyboard, its ok.
* No black, stainless steel por favor :)

Blah said:
I must say that I hate this design.

* If anything, it needs to be larger than a GP2X. Think Atari Lynx but not quite as wide.
* No clamshell please
* Big freaking touch screen
* PSX/N64 controller style controls.
* I'm not in love with the keyboard, its ok.
* No black, stainless steel por favor :)
You know, you basically just rejected the ENTIRE design. lol

Thought about this during the day and like it even more now. I don't think I could ask for any more from a device... A DS without a second screen but a keyboard and analogue sticks instead? Yes please. A PSP with a touch screen, second analogue, a keyboard and SD? Definitely.

Oh, and I like it best in RED!

btw to the person who asked about the hole in the D-Pad, I imagine (apart from avoiding copyright), it allows a joystick to be screwed into it.

You know...

I have been a member of this forum for a while and I completely missed about this Pandora project.

I really like what you are trying to do here. If small companies can build their own PCs, why can't such "indie" hardware developer develope their own console. right?

and the spec sounds really good.

With that said, I do have to point out that the design of the device could use some help. Both on the aesthetic and functional side. I've been working in the video game development industry for a while and interface design has been one of the focused study of mine. I hope my feedback will help you guys out.

Aesthetic side has more to do with having a support of some high level professional industrial designer to help you guys out. I can try to hook you up with some people if you are interested.

Functional side, I do think it would be much better to go without the keyboard. From what I can see, the device will be too small to have robust keyboard usage. If you have a USB connection, people can always hook up external keyboard. This will also cut your manufacturing cost down.

This will also help you to turn this into a one piece device instead of the clamshell design. Especially considering you have a touch screen. Unless you have a sturdy hinge-lock, it will be very hard to take advantage of the touch screen feature. This will be a none issue with one piece body design.

Another thing I suggest is not to put the speakers on the both sides of the screen. It creates unecessary space on the side and makes it look bad.

You can also go for this sort of design...
iriver-g10.jpg

(iRiver's never produced G10 early design mock up... this device will be produced by other company in Korea)

This Device will be produced as G100 by a company called Posdata. unlike the prototype G10, this one will have touch screen as well.
Posdata page about G100
postdata-g100-portable-gamer.jpg

Good luck with your project. Feel free to contact me if you need any help.

Back