New Case Design

Do you prefer the New Design or the Previous Design

• I Prefer the new edges

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Na let's stick with the old edges

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

joa

Now we've been given some news and it would appear the design of the chamshell has changed, even if a very slight change. If you have no idea what i'm talking about read this thread posted by Craigix on the 2nd Dec 2008.

Which do you prefer out of the two.

The first design can be found Here
The new design can be found Here

And i've just photoshopped (very poorly) what the new design may look like with a truer colour. The white was only to show the contour and doesn't represent the colour of the finished pandora at all - Just incase there was any confusion.

I'm not saying this will have any bearing on the final design used but I think it will be interesting to see.

REMEMBER: ignore the colour, image quality and things like that. Really the focus is on the edges and change in actual design...cool.

edit: grammar and original link.

Last edited by a moderator:
as long as the new lid isnt any taller (thus making the device stand taller when closed) than the old one then i like it. its just the render looks a bit weird, like its added a few mm to the height of the device.

joa said:
Now we've got given some news and it seems the design has changed, even if a very small change.

Which do you prefer out of the two.

The first design can be found Here
The new design can be found Here

I'm not saying this will have any bearing on the final design used but I think it will be interesting to see. REMEMBER: ignore the colour, image quality and things like that. Really the focus is on the software edges.

The software edges eh? :lol:

EDIT: I voted for the new software edges.

Yigguth said:
I think this is a better image for comparison http://www.pandoratr.com/images/gallery/small/pandoratr3.jpg

Agreed(the OP's render was already outdated, because of the missing anti-dust-edges, which led to the bricky look)

And comparing those two, you could just cancel the voting poll, I think.
Brick vs. not-so-brick ;) Reminds me of my Casio e115 BTW

Edit:
pandoratr3.jpg

pandoralid2.png

While the brick does look sexier, I think the curved edges will be easier in my pocket.

To whoever is designing the case, Nice change but as before how do i open this thing ? do i position my thumb at the front and press very hard so as to get enough friction to be able to lift the lid. Is that good for the hinge? or do i use the non-existent ridge between the bottom of the case and the lid and lift like any other clamshell device?

OH! i get it, its a Clamshell design so like a real Clamshell i have to use a knife to open it :lol:

j.pickens said:
I like the rounded case top.
However, I hope the top doesn't merge into the bottom as shown.
There needs to be a recess, ridge, overlap or release button of some kind to make opening the clamshell a quick operation.
Like most clamshell phones out there.
+1

EDIT: hehe

fixed said problems. Erm, there's no need to cancel the poll. People knew what the original one looked like without linking to all pics (fixed). But now they know what the new intended pandora will look like.

I'm still interested to see the results, ta.

Ryuu said:
To whoever is designing the case, Nice change but as before how do i open this thing ? do i position my thumb at the front and press very hard so as to get enough friction to be able to lift the lid. Is that good for the hinge? or do i use the non-existent ridge between the bottom of the case and the lid and lift like any other clamshell device?

j.pickens said:
I like the rounded case top.
However, I hope the top doesn't merge into the bottom as shown.
There needs to be a recess, ridge, overlap or release button of some kind to make opening the clamshell a quick operation.
Like most clamshell phones out there.
+1

I don't think it will lock tightly/loosely enough closed for this to be a serious issue - but I have no basis for that.

EDIT: added quote

Definently much preferred the old one. And hope the new one is black. But I'm not seriously bothered by the new one I guess, just don't see the issue with the old one. It looked very cool being retro and durable (like the IBM thinkpads)

The old design looked more like a linux UMPC. The new design looks more like a gaming device. Both look great, I just think personally I see it as more UMPC-ish.

new case design (= current case design = ordered case) := first final pandora this weekend
old case design (= not ordered case) := first final pandora in a month or something

Please vote again.

I think we're all 99.9% sure the pandora is going to be a dark colour. The white in that render was merely to show the contour - nothing more.

A final white design would be UGH!!!

I voted for the black brick look. It just seems more substantial.

But ste_167's re-coloring has me feeling a lot more comfortable with the new design.

Back