New Case Design

Do you prefer the New Design or the Previous Design

• I Prefer the new edges

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Na let's stick with the old edges

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

I don't really like either render. Best would be something between the full "IBM Square" first render and the "toddler toy" second render.

If it had a flat spot between the side of the lid and the back of the lid, or a compound curve that was flatter in the middle I would like it a lot more.

All in all it doesn't matter, but I think that the "chubby curve" now is over the top.

Couple thoughts on the dark side after thinking about it;

1) That's a pretty damn big change after it's been sold, I bought a sleek plain brick looking thing but I'll get over it.

2) Room inside the lid/case is not necessarily a bad thing from a modder pov and in fact a bonus.

3) Cutting the corner and reducing the button sizes may be a horrible idea ergonomically, I want to see some testing.

4) Can I sand off the logo without putting a hole in it?*

*no offense to the logo meant, it just may interfere with my custom paint job or sticker.

Sphinxter said:
Couple thoughts on the dark side after thinking about it;

1) That's a pretty damn big change after it's been sold, I bought a sleek plain brick looking thing but I'll get over it.

2) Room inside the lid/case is not necessarily a bad thing from a modder pov and in fact a bonus.

3) Cutting the corner and reducing the button sizes may be a horrible idea ergonomically, I want to see some testing.

4) Can I sand off the logo without putting a hole in it?*
*no offense to the logo meant, it just may interfere with my custom paint job or sticker.

It was a brick looking thing but certainly not sleek. It was quite boxy before, I have a mockup and it didn't look so hot, it was a cross between a cigar box and a DS lite. I remember the reactions: first: "It is fugly I am not buying one" Second: It looks a bit nicer but it too boxy, I will put an eye out, can't it have curves? Third: It is too curvy, I wanted boxy. You can't win.

You don't lose much room in the lid (only a little on the extreme edges), it is not any thinner although it makes it look thinner and it does make it easier to slip into a pocket or case.

Reducing button sizes? There was no change to any of the buttons or controls.

Yes you can sand off the logo.

Last edited by a moderator:
DaveC said:
It was a brick looking thing but certainly not sleek. It was quite boxy before, I have a mockup and it didn't look so hot, it was a cross between a cigar box and a DS lite. I remember the reactions: first: "It is fugly I am not buying one" Second: It looks a bit nicer but it too boxy, I will put an eye out, can't it have curves? Third: It is too curvy, I wanted boxy. You can't win.

You seem to have ignored the obvious solution - diamond-cut edges. Boxy, curvy, and instant recognizability;)

I very much preferred the old case. Just an elegant blank slab of awesomeness. The raised logo feels like its trying much too hard to "brand" itself. Subtle and clean should reign over big and loud.

Judging from the poll results so far, the decision for the new design was right :)

Truck vs. Porsche :D

Just kidding ;)

RajTakhar said:
Depends on what your interpretation of "Next Weekend" Really Means ;)

Ony Joking :D

gp32_console :gp2x and hopefully a :pandora1:
Actually it's sure that "Next Weekend" means this weekend (13rd-14th) because in this week we didn't have any news so now it's the time. :p

P.S: Ok. This is the last time I write about this argument.

RajTakhar said:
Depends on what your interpretation of "Next Weekend" Really Means ;)

Ony Joking :D

gp32_console :gp2x and hopefully a :pandora1:
Craigix's weird week always starts on Sunday so you can do the math easily. ;)

On third thought the curved surface will surely eliminate any possibility of customization by sticker since it would now pucker at the edges. Not sure if that's a bad thing but the logo should be recessed if the aim of this mod is to actually, "make it easier to slip into a pocket or case.". I still don't see it as adding value.

The keypad has not arrived yet so we can't put the whole pandora together, when it arrives you will all know within minutes!

This is the problem of us being open about things, manufacturer tells us '2 weeks', so we tell you '2 weeks', then they miss the estimated time and we look like the lazy bastards.

It's tricky and I can see more and more why other companies might keep quiet.

craigix said:
The keypad has not arrived yet so we can't put the whole pandora together, when it arrives you will all know within minutes!

This is the problem of us being open about things, manufacturer tells us '2 weeks', so we tell you '2 weeks', then they miss the estimated time and we look like the lazy bastards.

Yes, but you are Open for discussing things. Correct?

craigix said:

no, you don't. by reading some individual comments one might get the impression that this is what the majority thinks - but there are 3000+ preorders and just about 10 or so people maximum who voice their very critical opinion. i think most are just overanxious confirming that they really like the pandora.

well, anyway, just wanted to say that probably noone thinks you're lazy, for some the wait is getting on their nerves and probably all of us really like to be informed.

craigix said:

Don't worry Craig. It seems like most of us understand and get tragic little stiffies from any scrap of info.
I'm so pathetic that i just woke up from a dream about watching a documentary on the making of the pandora. Yes really. No wonder i'm single.
Can any of your readers beat that?

craigix said:

If the keypad still isn't here by today, could we see a sneak peek for the final case? It's only the keypad that's holding things up, and a photo or two of the final case would be nice to see.

craigix said:

Like hch said!

A forum is never representative and I've the strong feeling, that most members are happy about every little info regardless if it is positive or negative. The majority of the level-headed members seem to have switched to lurking mode, that leaves far too much room for moaning. But talking about the weather is no solution either :D

craigix said:
But please, don't ever change that quality of being open. Dealing with loud people is tough, but the quiet are the ones who will continue to support. It is this quality in which I look forward to in this project and this is the only project that I have supported BECAUSE you are open. I am sure I'm not alone. Thank you for your efforts in dealing with disruptions on both sides.

Noisome

Back