• Meh.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I dislike it

• I hate it

• Total voters

Shiny said:
Are those two SD lights really necessary? I don't want a lights display going on while trying to use this thing :-||

EDIT: Why is the Z key missing from the later renders? (LINK)
EDIT EDIT: The power switch is missing from them as well.

I'm sure this was an accident - the Y key is on there twice, where it should be (and is) as well as where the Z key should be.

EDIT: It looks like the later renders (ones at the end) were earlier renders - the first one has much more detail than the last one. (It also fixes some errors, like the Z key.)

Last edited by a moderator:
Tobriand said:
Sphinxter said:
Keyboard.. What is that for, texting?
Typing emails, replying on here, word processing, entering text in amiga, ST, C64, and BBC emus to name but a few, and playing text adventures without having to spend a year and a day "typing" your next action using an on-screen keyboard. Interacting with the shell easily (insofar as you can interact with a shell easily), editing scripts on the actual machine (if they're needed). File management - particularly renaming. And don't forget the possibility of coding on the go, though that may or may not become a reality.

All in all, there's a few good reasons.

Not what I'm looking for in a portable media player or hand held gaming device.

We also need to get across how small thing thing is to you, it's smaller than the GP2X, even a childs hands can reach the analogue sticks. If you want a real size cardboard render posted to you we can send one :)

We are enjoying reading this though, we can make them any colour you like. The 1Gb (we were never happy with that either) has been removed from the site and we will turn the console black.

I really think that the keyboard should either be an attachment that is included with the device or be able to make itself scarce (slides under the device). It's a great feature that will make web surfing, typing, and other actions much easier, but not everyone needs it to be that out there. It makes the rest of the device seem a bit cramped.

I had a great idea that would be a design nightmare but would be amazing. (Yes, I know it's too late, but I'm putting it out there anyway.) The device would be a sort-of-a-clamshell - it would have a bottom piece with the screen, the d-pad, the analog sticks, the start/select/whatever buttons, and the speakers (like the designs of most of the community members). The top part would have the keyboard (facing towards the screen and buttons). You would press a button on the front face or something (laptop-esque) and the top (with the keyboard) would flip over and slide under the device (out of sight). Then, if you wanted it, it would slide out further and be available for use.

I know it would never ever exist, but it combines the keyboard sliding + hide-able keyboard + clamshell design to protect the screen.

EDIT: I was being silly, in case anyone didn't understand.

@Craigix: If we want a real size cardboard render, how should we go about notifying you that we want one? (I'm interested.)

EDIT2: One thing that I think would really add to the design and would make people a lot more interested is if it wasn't just a solid color. If it had some sort of cool design picture thingy on it, that would definitely add to the visual appeal (think the HP Blackbird 002 people).

EDIT3: Just a thought - add the Engadget post to the "In The Press" section of the webpage?

I originally voted 'meh', but I think that was primarily because I didn't like the white. If it's gonna be white I would much rather it look like eolair's render with the white keys and buttons. That looks much better. With better color selection I would raise my vote to 'I Like It'.

I also agree that I'd like to see the analog pads moved down a bit to help the thumbs clear the D-pad and buttons, but I can't really be sure that's necessary without a chance to actually hold the thing and see how it feels. It's hard for me to imagine what it will feel like being smaller than the GP2x.

I've put the black render on the page, take a look, better? We will do a proper black render tonight and get it on there, plus a few more pics too.

Guys: More renders on openpandora.ca!

I'm guessing that's MWeston's bit. :)

pand031207_02.jpg

pand031207_03.jpg

Cool, a mini-USB and a normal USB. I'm assuming this is USB On-The-Go.

pand031207_04.jpg

pand281107_02.jpg

black

pand281107_04.jpg

red

My suggestions for the renders: use less compression or make a PNG, and add a ruler model (with both feet and centimet(re/er)s) so we can see the real size.

Edit:

Another suggestion: I'd rather have a Y key and a Z key than two Y keys, even though redundancy is good and all.

Edit:

Holy crap, my Wiki's on Engadget.

Oh yeah, the Pandora too. :D

Realize that the red and black ones are older renders, as they have problems with the key layout and a lack of a power button and fewer details and other small differences.

EDIT: Yeah, you're welcome about the Engadget/wiki/whatnot. I think Craigix submitted it to them too.

I really like it. It REALLY reminds me of an older Nintendo device.

A couple things concern me, though. For one, that screen angle seems really weird. Definitely make it so it has several places it can click into (or at least makeit really firm), and definitely let it go out a lot, almost 180. With the buttons, space them well. I would be really mad if I could finally play MMX4 on a handheld, but I couldn't dash-jump without having problems. Oh, and yeah, if you can, I think it would be a lot cooler to match the Nintendo SNES button layout, with A on the bottom (unless Nintendo somehow patented that?). Might as well ditch the last vestiges of GPH vestiges.

Other than that, I'm VERY happy with the clamshell design, and I can tell that this puppy's going to be a blast.

I know these are only renders so far, but I don't see so I have to ask...

Where does the stylus go?

Edit 1: If you were to close your eyes and run your thumbs over the keys, how easily could you feel that your thumbs are passing from one key to the next? Is there a good feeling of seperation between the keys?

I think many of you guys are being pretty harsh. The design isn't all my dreams come true but it's pretty well thought-out I think.

For starters, I guess I'm in the minority--I think it looks better in white. Eolair's black picture brings back bad memories for me of blocky late-90s laptops. Given that this looks very similar to a DS Lite (which is a very attractive design IMO), I think white will definitely be the way to go as white DS Lites look a lot better than black DS Lites (IMO).

I was never big on including a keyboard on this thing, but I will be happy to have that keyboard here if we can get some serious Amiga and DOS emulators going. Okay, it's a not a pullout as many had hoped, but this will do the job just fine. My biggest concern about the keyboard is if I will constantly be hitting the keyboard buttons with my palms while I use the gaming controls. Only hands-on can answer that question.

Dpad looks great. Better than I expected actually.

Analog sticks do look hard to reach, but then again I thought dual analog sticks was overkill in the first place. Again, only hands-on will answer how easy they are to handle.

Lack of vertical use is a BIG bummer for me. I use my GP2X for vertical MAME more than anything other single program or emulator (Donkey Kong, Tiger-Heli, Pacman, Galaxian, DK Jr.).

I am also concerned about the touchscreen on the top pivot. Having a DS Lite, I can't imagine trying to play a touchscreen heavy game on the top part of the unit--I would think the balance in your hand will be very uncomfortable.

All in all, I think the device suffers a little bit from trying to please everyone, but it's a decent design. Though I'm still smarting from the lack of a vertical option, I can't deny that if I see 60fps SNES with transparencies, significantly enhanced MAME, and some quality touchscreen PC emulators, etc., I will be buying this.

Oh, and mini-USB? Is that something for which we can buy a simple adapter and use all normal USB devices?

Yes, some of these are not current, but you get an un-cropped image of Pandora you can mess with and photoshop into a happy meal ;)

This is mostly to see more colors and the selection of connectors.

craigix said:
I've not submitted anything anywhere, really this little teaser was just meant for you guys, got a link?
I submitted it to Engadget, as they had posted something about it a few months back (when the thread was only 63 pages long).

http://www.engadget.com

It's a few posts down the page.

EDIT: I hope you don't mind me doing that. If you do, sorry. :(

You know, I really like it, but I just realized DaveC is going to self-combust. :unsure:

Hi guys,

I was active for a while on the german board and I read the whole "Our New Machine"-Thread over the last weeks. I just registered to say what I think about he design:

LID STUFF:

- I guess you didn't design it due to the cost, but tablet-mode would be freaking awesome.

- The speakers are a no-go. Go for vertical long lines that form anything but a circle.

KEYBOARD STUFF:

- You can't be serious about shipping a linux device withour a Control-Key. Really. Add one, I'd rather have no comma than no Ctrl. It would make using a shell absolutely impossible.

- TAB is nearly as important and I think you should rethink the decision to make in only accessible per fn-key. As you hopefully know, the tab-key is commonly used to auto-complete everything in the shell. As typing won't be that easy on this device, auto-complete is very important.

- I guess you designed the keyboard that way so the thumbs do not press any buttons while using the gaming controls. Good Idea, but PLEASE make the keyboard (as it is in another colour) a square one with non-pressable fake keys in the top corners. It would look way better.

- I think there is too much space wasted on the numbers. make them a bit smaller and add escape to the top left corner. DEL could be remapped to backspace for those who prefer that

- If there ist any chance to add a fourth row and still have a typeable keyboard (perhaps none-flat keys), go for it. with the space in the lower middle, Ctrl, Alt, "." and "," right of m everything would be so much easier.

MISC:

- Dual SD is soooooo nice. Thanks. Really.

- I really like the clamshell decision, it's by far the best option in my book. Just make sure the button don't touch the screen when closed like in some notebooks, the screen gets worn there and looks bad after a few months.

- Even though it looks cluttered, I think everything is in the right position, seems like you thought a lot about that, but one have to test that to find out if it suits.

Concerning the looks:
First i thought "UARKS". But it isn't that bad. The Speakers look terrible and the keyboard isn't a beauty also. The rest is WIN.

Thanks you guys for putting all the hard work in it.

greets
B2m

Okay, here are the current dimensions so we can dispel the rumors that only giants can play this thing:

Footprint - 140x83x27mm

Each analog nub is 46mm in from the side to the center, with the nub being 15mm in diameter.

The dpad and ABXY buttons are both 16.5mm in from the side to the center.

craigix said:
We also need to get across how small thing thing is to you, it's smaller than the GP2X, even a childs hands can reach the analogue sticks.
awesome more like a ds, im just glad its niot zaurus sized. how will the screen be protected from the analog sticks in your pocket? im worried that if the solution is a large gap then coins and stuff can slip into it and scratch the screen

Back