D-pad Design

From Pocket Gamer

"The superb mini-stick on the NGPC allowed for perfect control and execution of moves. In fact, the NPGC's stick is probably the first and only time such a device has worked on a handheld." The micro switched stick was based on the one found on SNK's Neo-Geo CD system, and it did indeed work like a dream, offering precise and accurate control accompanied by a delightful 'click' sound.

You use it like you would a d-pad too, it's pretty awesome :) although I thought the 'click' sounds were a bit too loud and annoying after a while, unless you play with the volume up :p

Actually, my major concern is that I'll hit diagonals accidently.
On my USB-Joypad this happens quite often and is a major bummer when playing eg Contra III.

Balzac2m said:
Actually, my major concern is that I'll hit diagonals accidently.
On my USB-Joypad this happens quite often and is a major bummer when playing eg Contra III.
That's what I'm concerned about, too. Like when I'm trying to go down a pipe in mario, I might press a diagonal and not be able to go down.

Last edited by a moderator:
yup, that's the other major game which really needs a dpad which doesn't do diagonals easily.
I play mario a lot (and by a lot I mean I hardly played anything else in comparison on consoles my whole life) and not being able to play it like with the original NES/SNES-Pad would probably make me think of selling my pandora.
Perhaps one could work around by not registering the diagonals in the emulator?

Balzac2m said:

So when it detects both directions pressed, you'd rather it didn't detect any?

Tinnus said:
Balzac2m said:

So when it detects both directions pressed, you'd rather it didn't detect any?
I thought it would be an eightwaypad. If its a fourwaypad... well.. i hope one can hit the "normal" directions well. I guess many people would be upset that they can't play many games in a satisfying way.

CronoTriggerfan said:
Ewww, Genesis-style dpad? Fail! Simple crosshairs a-la NES, SNES, GB, etc. are always the best choice.
Nintendo owns the rights to the traditional + design you see on all of its controllers. Don't like their DS or Gamecube D-Pad's though, because they suffer from diagonal issues (at least the revisions I own, don't know if they fix them in newer revisions of their hardware).

Genesis (3-button version) D-Pad has issues though, and not on the same level of quality as a Satrun D-Pad although they do look the same, they behave/feel different.

MDave said:
Nintendo owns the rights to the traditional + design you see on all of its controllers.

Nintendo's patent expired in 05.

Some games work better with a cross, some work better with a disc. There is no one correct way to do it. Having a well defined cross raised on a disc-shaped d-pad is the best compromise.

Chip said:
MDave said:
Nintendo owns the rights to the traditional + design you see on all of its controllers.

Some games work better with a cross, some work better with a disc. There is no one correct way to do it. Having a well defined cross raised on a disc-shaped d-pad is the best compromise.

agreed
i like the snes controller the most
and the ds phat did not have the worst dpad ever
the xbox 360 by far has the absolute worst dpad ever made

Ashwin said:
Chip said:
MDave said:

agreed

You've obviously never played an Atari Jaguar. Can't blame you, though. :D

Chip said:
MDave said:

Completley forgot it expired :p

Amen. :) As long as the D-Pad itself dosn't some into contact with its surrounding case plastic too much (like the 360's) and instead relies on the rubber pad and pcb to stop the motion, all is good.

CronoTriggerfan said:
Ewww, Genesis-style dpad? Fail! Simple crosshairs a-la NES, SNES, GB, etc. are always the best choice.
Except when you are playing any sort of games that uses diagonals or circles of any kind a good amount. And there's nothing wrong with the Genesis Dpad.

Ashwin said:
Chip said:
MDave said:

agreed

Umm.. all Playstation Dpads are shit; They are much worse than the 360 dpad. This includes the PSP.

CronoTriggerfan said:
Ashwin said:
Chip said:
MDave said:

agreed

You've obviously never played an Atari Jaguar. Can't blame you, though. :D

That may indeed be worse. I have never played it.

-God Ginrai

Back