Pandora with microSD - will you buy it?

Will you buy the Pandora 2 if it only has microSD slots?

• Yes, I don't mind much or at all.

Votes: 31 24.4%
  • Yes, but I'd prefer it had at least one full sized SD slot.

Votes: 35 27.6%
  • No, I need to be able to use full sized SD - it needs at least one full sized SD slot.

Votes: 50 39.4%
  • No, microSD sucks and I will not buy it if has any microSD slots.

Votes: 11 8.7%

• Total voters

It'd be nice and would make it less bulky (as I would imagine they could be installed under the battery) but it'd be such a PITA plugging them into your computer unless USB mode is fixed up a bit.

I have never seen an external microsd slot, except in an adapter. Is this the general opinion more or less? I want compatibility with Pandora 1, so using the same media is a win.

it's bad juju for sure, there are some, namely the chineese android handhelds, JXD S601, 5100, 5110, 5200 / Yinlips YDPG16, YDPG18 / GCW Zero.. I'm sure it's difficult from the engineering side of it though, to have them feasible or not accidently pushed behind the slot and get stuck in the device.... I wouldn't suggest it as a externally exposed slot, I could see lots of RMA's or at the very least, people opening up your device constantly.

full sd = external accessable

microsd = internal, expose part of the pcb where it connects and place it under the battery. (this setup works the best from my experience)

Last edited by a moderator:
I like using the external SD like old dual floppy drives. One for the system, one for music / video, one for games, one for... I'd hate to see it if the only storage was internal microsd behind the battery. We would lose that retro floppy goodness!

One thing the P2 should aim for IMO is versatility. If the disks are not comfortably removable (i.e. internal or microSD) we loose some of that.

Would it be possible to have two SD slots on top of one another instead of side to side? Like this: http://upload.wikime...55frontopen.jpg

I'm a complete hardware noob so I don't know if that would be possible, but if it is, it might save some PCB space.

It may be more difficult to build since the board is flat to begin with - not impossible but may require more labor to do it, I believe.

Would it be possible to have two SD slots on top of one another instead of side to side? Like this: http://upload.wikime...55frontopen.jpg

I'm a complete hardware noob so I don't know if that would be possible, but if it is, it might save some PCB space.

The SD slot needs pin contacts that are laid out on the board. To have them stacked like that you'd need to have a daughter board on top of the bottom slot, probably with wires soldered to the main PCB. You'd probably need to fasten the daughter board to the main board with stand-offs or something, otherwise it'd have no mechanical stability which is important for something you're inserting a card into. So the footprint would at least be a lot bigger than one SD slot, if not as big as two. Suffice it to say it would add a ton of thickness, way more than just the thickness of the slot itself.

I've said this a bunch of times before but haven't seen any real comment on it.. if the Pandora 2 is going to have a bigger (5"+) screen then its base surface area should at least be similar in size. So there's no reason why the PCB would have to be smaller. And I see no real reason why they'll be a lot more constrained for space this time around. When Craig says he wants to make it smaller I can only imagine he's talking about making it thinner.

Won't the Pandora 2 be bigger?

As we know Craigx plans to use a 5´´ screen.

I have a 3Ds xl and even that one is bigger than the Pandora.

If the device is bigger isn't there more space on the board?

If we keep everything as it's now but use a 5´´ screen then we'll have some extra space anyway.

I don't see such a big problem using 2 external SDXC slots. We will verry likely get more space on the P2 board.

It could be maybe slightly smaller if they put the speakers somewhere else, but not an awful lot smaller.

I hope it won't be too much thinner, because some thickness is needed to make it comfortable in my opinion. The lid of course can be as thin as is possible without making it too fragile, but the main box should not be thinner than it is now (or not much thinner at least). If they want to make the P2 look sexier, they should make the edges more rounded, maybe with some ergonomic curves. Don't make it so thin it'll cut my hands!

I hope it won't be too much thinner, because some thickness is needed to make it comfortable in my opinion. The lid of course can be as thin as is possible without making it too fragile, but the main box should not be thinner than it is now (or not much thinner at least). If they want to make the P2 look sexier, they should make the edges more rounded, maybe with some ergonomic curves. Don't make it so thin it'll cut my hands!

I don't know _wb_, I'd be surprised if you weren't in the minority on this one.. Nintendo's clamshell handhelds, for instance, are quite a bit thinner than Pandora, and I don't think I've ever heard anyone complain about them being too thin. On the other hand I have seen several people say they'd prefer a thinner Pandora. You're the first I've heard say that you want it to stay the same thickness for the base, at least purely for ergonomic reasons and not out of concern that it'd mean a smaller battery capacity.

But that's just my inference, it might be interesting to make another obnoxious poll on it :p

I mostly agree with _wb_ on this. The DS hurts my hand, it's too small and too thin.

The Pandora is way more comfortable to me. It may be a little bit thinner to be easier on the pockets, but not too much.

Having done a few sums, I think there is room for a 6" 9:16 screen at 13.2cm width and 7.45cm high

Which could put the P2 within range of small tablets :)

EDIT: only just - this is impractical!

I don't think OPT is going to pull off a zero-bezel display here.. hell, I don't even think you can do a good job with one in a clamshell.

I'd like to see a Nintendo 3 DS design.

That one fits great in my hands.

I support this.

A 16:9 screen with 5" diagonal is 11cm wide, and would easily fit in the space occupied by the P1

No.

If you keep the format of the P1's screen it doesn't.

I saw one broken prototype at ED's office while working on the rebirth.

I compared it with my Pandora and it wouldn't fit into it.

(There is NO Pandora 2 prototype !! ED had only one old broken 5'' screen. He also doesn't hide a bigger Pandora. I don't want to start specualtions in that direction)

Careful calculations:

A 5.5 inch diagonal 16:9* screen has a width:height:diagonal ratio of

16:9:18.4

divide everything by 18.4:

0.87:0.49:1

multiply by 5.5:

4.8:2.7:5.5

in metric thats:

12.2cm by 6.8cm

For that to fit in comfortably the P2 would have to be slightly squarer than the P1, which I make out to have a lid size of 14cm by 7cm

A 5" screen would be 11cm by 6.2 and should fit in somewhat better

*this is more letterboxy than the P1

Ok, that's convincing :) .

I would suggest to make Pandora 2 as big as the 3ds. We could place a bigger screen insode and put the speakers beside the screen.

For me it'd be imoorthant to have the speakers where they're now.

To be on topic:

3Ds isn't that big. it fits well in my hands.

We'd also have the advantage of a bigger board where we could keep the 2 full sized SD slots.

@ Those who want micro SDs because of size: We already have Space for full sized slots. Pandora 2 will likely get a little bigger. I don't think we'd need the extra space if we smaler the space the SD-slots need on the board.

The SD slot needs pin contacts that are laid out on the board. To have them stacked like that you'd need to have a daughter board on top of the bottom slot, probably with wires soldered to the main PCB. You'd probably need to fasten the daughter board to the main board with stand-offs or something, otherwise it'd have no mechanical stability which is important for something you're inserting a card into. So the footprint would at least be a lot bigger than one SD slot, if not as big as two. Suffice it to say it would add a ton of thickness, way more than just the thickness of the slot itself.

If you moved the battery to the back of the unit, perhaps a daughter board could be added in front of it without adding to the overall thickness of the unit?

- Neelix

Back