Pandora with microSD - will you buy it?

Will you buy the Pandora 2 if it only has microSD slots?

• Yes, I don't mind much or at all.

Votes: 31 24.4%
  • Yes, but I'd prefer it had at least one full sized SD slot.

Votes: 35 27.6%
  • No, I need to be able to use full sized SD - it needs at least one full sized SD slot.

Votes: 50 39.4%
  • No, microSD sucks and I will not buy it if has any microSD slots.

Votes: 11 8.7%

• Total voters

If you moved the battery to the back of the unit, perhaps a daughter board could be added in front of it without adding to the overall thickness of the unit?

- Neelix

Is the current battery leaving enough of the unit uncovered for a full SD slot? If anything I'd want the battery to cover more, if it can..

Don't know what implications this would have for the stylus though.

Big problem is also the host-port, it would get in the way for the battery afaik

EDIT: And shoulder buttons I guess

Last edited by a moderator:
Big problem is also the host-port, it would get in the way for the battery afaik

EDIT: And shoulder buttons I guess

I wonder how important full sized USB for the host is to people. I can understand at least not wanting to confuse it with the standard OTG port. If they're moving to microSD only you'd think full sized USB would be on the chopping block too, and it'd probably upset fewer people.

Where's this notion that microSD is replacing normal SD cards coming from? All applications (camcorders, cameras, laptops, 3DS, etc.) where the expectation is that you'll swap the card out with some routine use either normal SD cards, or in the case of the Vita a proprietary format with similar dimensions. Only applications where thin profile has priority and the expectation is the card will rarely be removed from its fully enclosed, dare I say armored, receptacle.

It's not hard to understand why if you've handled microSD cards, they're relatively fragile and not suited to taking abuse from routine handling. Switching the Pandora over to primarily using them, and for that matter neglecting to make GNU/Linux a priority, would involve radically changing the projected usage profile away from the niche that actually serves to justify its existence.

The full sized USB host isn't going anywhere, it's staying for sure.
Will it be possible to directly plug in passive devices like Mouse/ Keyboard/ etc...? So no more detour over a Hub like with Pandora 1?

That would be awesome! Even more awesome would be two full sized usb ports! :)

What are the chances Craig?

two full sized usb ports! :)
Preferably USB 3 and at least one that can supply lots of current for charging other devices

Will start new topic about connectors/sockets

EDIT:

The full sized USB host isn't going anywhere, it's staying for sure.
Yay!

Where's this notion that microSD is replacing normal SD cards coming from? All applications (camcorders, cameras, laptops, 3DS, etc.) where the expectation is that you'll swap the card out with some routine use either normal SD cards, or in the case of the Vita a proprietary format with similar dimensions. Only applications where thin profile has priority and the expectation is the card will rarely be removed from its fully enclosed, dare I say armored, receptacle.

It's not hard to understand why if you've handled microSD cards, they're relatively fragile and not suited to taking abuse from routine handling. Switching the Pandora over to primarily using them, and for that matter neglecting to make GNU/Linux a priority, would involve radically changing the projected usage profile away from the niche that actually serves to justify its existence.
Can o' worms.

There are several of us on here who are very vocal proponents of keeping two full sized SDXC-UHS-I ports on the device.

There are several equally vocal people who have other opinions.

That squabble has quieted down for the moment - you might want to take 6-8 hours for some reading before re-opening that can of worms.

Meh, almost no one on these boards favors a Pandora that doesn't have two full SD slots. Aside from Craig anyway.

There are several of us on here who are very vocal proponents of keeping two full sized SDXC-UHS-I ports on the device.

No there aren't. Only one person has made any suggestion that they don't want at least two full sized, high speed SD cards; everyone else has been a vocal proponent of keeping two full sized SDXC ports. The debate is, and has always been, whether a theoretical third SD slot built into the device necessarily needs to be a full sized high speed device, or if it would be acceptable to make it microSD if there are space constraints.

No there aren't. Only one person has made any suggestion that they don't want at least two full sized, high speed SD cards; everyone else has been a vocal proponent of keeping two full sized SDXC ports. The debate is, and has always been, whether a theoretical third SD slot built into the device necessarily needs to be a full sized high speed device, or if it would be acceptable to make it microSD if there are space constraints.

OR that if that internal slot were a full sized SDXC slot, then we would only need it and one exposed slot.

In the midst of the row a few days back, did anyone suggest that fullSD was inferior to SD when used externally?

----

In the event of a flamewar breaking out, exits are available here, here and here. There are also several moderator call points located next to the multiquote button.

Thank you :)

OR that if that internal slot were a full sized SDXC slot, then we would only need it and one exposed slot.
Obvious troll is obvious. There's no reason for that post other then to stir up unnecessary and needless controversy.

No, that's still two full sized SD ports.

But if you look in THIS poll for who demands two SD, nobody wants two full-size SD slots. In fact a full 33% have said nothing through the poll about SD at all.

Interesting..................... :lol:

Exactly the point I've been trying to make.

If you are going to boot from a full sized SDXC device - it doesn't matter if it is internal or external at that point - you'd best not remove it, so it may as well be internal.

Obvious troll is obvious. There's no reason for that post other then to stir up unnecessary and needless controversy.

But if you look in THIS poll for who demands two SD, nobody wants two full-size SD slots. In fact a full 33% have said nothing through the poll about SD at all.

Interesting..................... :lol:

And exactly how are either of you contributing anything constructive to any conversation with those posts?

Exactly the point I've been trying to make.
No, I mean you originally said there were two sides: those that wanted two full sized high speed SD slots, and those that didn't. I pointed out that there weren't really these two positions, that the only person who apparently doesn't want two full sized SD slots is Craig, and that the argument revolved around the theoretical internal SD boot card. You responded with a third choice of an external full sized SD slot and an internal full sized SD slot which is still two full sized SD slots. Your original statement about there being "several" people that have vocal opinions opposed to having two full sized SD slots is extremely misleading.

And exactly how are either of you contributing anything constructive to any conversation with those posts?
Clarification of misinformation is always constructive in some way.

Back