Pandora with microSD - will you buy it?

Will you buy the Pandora 2 if it only has microSD slots?

• Yes, I don't mind much or at all.

Votes: 31 24.4%
  • Yes, but I'd prefer it had at least one full sized SD slot.

Votes: 35 27.6%
  • No, I need to be able to use full sized SD - it needs at least one full sized SD slot.

Votes: 50 39.4%
  • No, microSD sucks and I will not buy it if has any microSD slots.

Votes: 11 8.7%

• Total voters

Exophase

Nothing good will ever come of Exophase.
A primary use for my Pandora is in reviewing pictures and video coming off of my cameras. If I can't pop the SD card from one to the other - it's no longer a 'device of interest' to me. You're all welcome to your own purchase decisions. The design team needs to know' date=' though, that if they go microSD, they will risk loosing a big chunk of the photography and beyond-gaming purchasers & users of their device. I can't make a microSD slot accept a full size SD card. I'm not about to give up the capacity and capabilities of the full size cards for other devices.[/quote']

Well, is he right?

Other: I need at least 2 full size externally accessable SD-slots. I don't mind an internal µSD-slot.

My biggest gripe with µSD is that they're *so* easy to lose.

Other: I need at least 2 full size externally accessable SD-slots. I don't mind an internal µSD-slot.

If you won't buy it it if has nothing but microSD slots (what Craig is currently saying) vote #3. If you WILL buy it but won't be happy with it vote for #2. Your vote is one of those two, not an "other."

My primary use-case has turned out to be non-gaming, and I don't care what media it uses, just as long as I can hook said media up to my main computer or my netbook in order to move my work between them. So, that'll be the first option for me, please.

Last edited by a moderator:
We're talking about 2014 and beyond. Full sized SD will have been surpassed by the domination of new devices using micro SD by then.

Full sized SD isn't the future.

Last edited by a moderator:
µSD cards are hopeless for swapable media. You lose them way too easy and they are next to impossible to label. They are fine for storage you never remove, but not if you swap it out.

I don't understand all the fuss over something so stupid as to SD card size. I, for one, am a fan of only having microSD cards, since they will be so cheap in the two or so years it takes for the P2 to be released. I bought a few microSD cards a little over a year ago for about $1.37 USD per gigabyte on a class 2 card. You can now get class 10 cards for $0.62 USD per gigabyte. That's less than half the pirce and a 5x class increase. I think in two years it wouldn't be unreasonable to see 133x or equivalent for a quarter per gigabyte. At that rate it'd cost about $30 USD to put 128 gigs of storage into your pandora, which IMO seems like a lot.

Didn't voted because i want 2 (big) SD slots.

An internal storage (NAND or whatever) will be welcome.

I would rather have full sd slots. After running a Beagle XM and eventually giving up on it due to it repeatedly trashing filesystems between micro sd cards about two times a week.. I can't see a reason to put faith in MicroSD. I have one in my Moto Atrix that has also been somewhat iffy at times as well. Just my two cents.

Put some thought into it. I really don't care. Fact is, I have two cards the never get removed. I'll be disappointed if I have to re-invest in some micro-sd to hold all my stuff, but it wouldn't be a deal breaker for me.

unfortunantly, as much as micro SDs sucks to extreme, it won´t in a couple years, it is what the industry is already pushing, the only reason there is adapters to this day is because you either keep back compatibility, or allow another competitor in.

I enjoy the SD size, but the phone industry don´t and the tech industry wants money.

The photography/video will take a little while to glup it, but they also strive with their own formats.

This is an irrelevant pool IMHO, micro SDs have already conquered the world and that is a couple years ago.

Why not have full-SD slots with the capability of a mechanical adapter to miniSD or microSD? Which is what we have right now, and it gives the most options instead of tying everyone to microSD.

Unless, of course, the design is short on space such that microSD would really make a difference.

We're talking about 2014 and beyond. Full sized SD will have been surpassed by the domination of new devices using micro SD by then.

Then yours and my future will likely diverge after the 1Ghz Pandora. I need my handheld computing device to be more flexible than microSD can allow.

And easy to break. I owned at least 5 of these and most them don't last a year after plug-in and out. What a piece of crap of tech.

There's a reason why different sizes STILL exist (and why compact flash is not dead, as well). Unless you are making a device which is the size of a credit card, why do you care so much about having the smallest sizes possible?

Back