Pandora Video Overview

Mygames19

Hey guys,

I'd been planning to do this ever since the Pandora came in the mail many months back, but unfortunately I had some camera troubles and other things keeping me from doing it. At least, until last night, when I sat down and finished my Pandora Overview:

https://www.youtube.com/embed/vHoyhRCTvdU?feature=oembed

For most of you, this is all probably old news. Most of what I do is share what you can do on a Pandora. (Emulating, Homebrew & Software) I know I may have left a few things out (Actually, a lot.) But to save time I left it out. (Amiga emulation and DOSbox emulation is a great example.)

A Video version of the review I posted here will be up sometime in the next week.

Let me know what you think/what things I said incorrectly!

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
stop biting your nails

dude seriously, that video is really hard to watch with your nails in front of the camera

Ashens' painfully long review strikes again! :lol:

Ya, exept it's less of a review and more of a "Hey, look at what the Pandora can do!" video. That's 34 minutes long.

stop biting your nails

dude seriously, that video is really hard to watch with your nails in front of the camera

...Those two sentences together made no sense. Wouldn't my nails only be in front of the cam if they were long? In fact, they're so short you can barely tell that I still have'em!

Anyways, I'm sorry about the nails thing. It's been a stupid habit that I've had sense as far back as I can remember (So, about 3.) Happens when I'm distracted by something else - I don't notice I'm doing it.

But to counter that comment... a vast majority of the video I have the light off and my hands are nowhere to be seen. So it's not like they are in front of it the whole time; just the first 5 minutes or so.

...Tough crowd.

no, dont get my wrong, i finished the video, and it was really nice, 720p woulda been nice, but minimal amount of errors of info. one word of advice, use PanPlayer for your video needs http://apps.openpandora.org/cgi-bin/viewapp.pl?/Application/PanPlayer.inf

the fingernails half the size of what theyre actually supposed to be just bother me in a weird way, but like everyone else, ive got my own habits that ive had forever and wish to stop, but cant...like my biting lips one

720p woulda been nice

I actually recorded the video at 720x480....Not really 720p, but better than what Youtube is giving you.

but minimal amount of errors of info.
Are there any errors I didn't already amend in my annotations? That was the one thing I was afraid of - giving inaccurate info, especially when this was all on whim.

one word of advice, use PanPlayer for your video needs http://apps.openpand...n/PanPlayer.inf
I saw that, but than read that it requires Hotfix 5 beta 2 (Or RC2. I assume it means the same?). I've not tried a beta yet, because with my luck, something would go horribly wrong. Been waiting for the latest hotfix, but others have been saying the latest beta is very stable, so maybe I'll just upgrade..

the fingernails half the size of what theyre actually supposed to be just bother me in a weird way, but like everyone else, ive got my own habits that ive had forever and wish to stop, but cant...like my biting lips one

+1 my friend has fingernails like that.

Thanks for demonstrating some of PandoraPanic! and taking a bit of time to explain that different developers worked on the minigames. :)

Pretty nice overview of the different possibilities that are available when using Pandora.

Kinda neat video. I am concerned about the bit showing Angry Birds as I was aware that title was NOT approved and it was taken off the REPO site due to the fact is may have been a illegal build. Unless I am wrong about this. I have not seen any update. :blink:

I was aware that title was NOT approved and it was taken off the REPO site due to the fact is may have been a illegal build. Unless I am wrong about this. I have not seen any update. :blink:

This was never available or distributed via the REPO in the first instance, it was distributed by file sharing websites like megaupload etc.

I was aware that title was NOT approved and it was taken off the REPO site due to the fact is may have been a illegal build. Unless I am wrong about this. I have not seen any update. :blink:

This was never available or distributed via the REPO in the first instance, it was distributed by file sharing websites like megaupload etc.

My mistake O' Wonderous One, It doesn't negate the fact it is a illegal build. :p :blink:

I actually thought it was a cute video; starts a little slow, but I skipped around, and it was nice to see some of the random game bits throughout. Then again, it always makes me happy to see people enjoying some of my work .. rewarding to see that yes, it paid off :)

jeff

I saw that, but than read that it requires Hotfix 5 beta 2 (Or RC2. I assume it means the same?). I've not tried a beta yet, because with my luck, something would go horribly wrong. Been waiting for the latest hotfix, but others have been saying the latest beta is very stable, so maybe I'll just upgrade..
Hotfix 5 got out of beta a long time ago, though - if it needed at least Hotfix 5 beta 2, then the final Hotfix 5 (which you should be using, if you aren't already ;) ) will work fine with it.

It's Hotfix 6 that's in beta-testing now. :p

Thanks for demonstrating some of PandoraPanic! and taking a bit of time to explain that different developers worked on the minigames. :)

Pretty nice overview of the different possibilities that are available when using Pandora.

No problem! I love Warioware-like games. My only dissapointment is that there aren't enough minigames! (Although I suppose the solution would be to make more of them myself! Haha)

Kinda neat video. I am concerned about the bit showing Angry Birds as I was aware that title was NOT approved and it was taken off the REPO site due to the fact is may have been a illegal build. Unless I am wrong about this. I have not seen any update. :blink:
Okay, I probably should have addressed this a little better... Yes, this build is not legal in that Rovio has not stated it as official. I actually contemplated for a few minutes about weather putting that in would be honest, but came to the conclusion that most of the audience for this device probably goes by the rule "Pay for it once, play it wherever". I don't mean to speak for the community in general (It's still technically not a legal port), but if you really think about who the audience for this device would be (Classic Gamers, mostly.), there's not really a way to play our retro games on our Pandora's legally, either. (Well, unless you use a Retrode or other device. But who's really gonna lug that around with it? Not many I'd assume.)

That being said, if you feel it's too sensitive of a subject at the moment or might hurt the community, than I'll take it out. I want to show people how cool this device is, but I don't want to hurt the community in the process.

I actually thought it was a cute video; starts a little slow, but I skipped around, and it was nice to see some of the random game bits throughout. Then again, it always makes me happy to see people enjoying some of my work .. rewarding to see that yes, it paid off :)

jeff
Sorry for the slow start... If you pay attention, you can tell that the beginning and the game footage was filmed at 2 separate times - actually, about 4 months apart from each other! Back than, I was only gonna show a few games, but when I came back to finish the video, I felt I needed to show more than just a few games. When I finished filming, I had an hours worth of footage. It was a little too long for my tastes, so I cut out a bit of footage. That way, the viewer gets enough time to see the game run nicely, but not too much, so we can move on to the next one. I think it worked nicely.

May I ask, what work it was I showed off that was yours? Pretty much anything I showed was something I loved the work of, so if it's there... it's like silent praise. :)

it's a very good video, actually i prefer longer videos, so you see a lot of features at once, i'll probably do the same, covering non-emulation/games apps and a maybe a few obscure old games

btw, boot time is more like 30 seconds (which is pretty good anyway)
Like I said above, the original video was an hour long... too long for my taste. I tried to cover some non-emulation games (Super Stardust, Pandora Panic, Wind & Water, Frogatto, Shootet) But for the sake of wowing the viewers I kept the game slelection to games people are familar with. Also, Boot-time for me has never been more than 30 second for me...at least, it never feels like it's that long. :p

Hotfix 5 got out of beta a long time ago, though - if it needed at least Hotfix 5 beta 2, then the final Hotfix 5 (which you should be using, if you aren't already ;) ) will work fine with it.

It's Hotfix 6 that's in beta-testing now. :p

Oh....Now I feel stupid. :p

Thanks for bringing that up.

It was a very nice video and thanks for taking the time to make it. It maybe of use in future videos, to include some details or footage of the UI's of the emu's, or how to set them up etc, as some folk have previously said that just pure footage of the games, is kinda like watching the original (as many work so well) and thus of more use is what the emu UI is like, what features there are. Some folk also have had some issues getting things going, so tutorial style videos (like mcobits for ScummVM) is probably a boon to some here. As an overview of various Pandora functions/software it was very nice though :) I'm guilty of poorer videos, so I'll shut up for now anyway!

I saw that, but than read that it requires Hotfix 5 beta 2 (Or RC2. I assume it means the same?).

They're not the same. A "beta" release is a release that is pretty much finished (or close to finished), but may have some additional bugs to work out (so basically, it's being tested).

RC, on the other hand, stands for "release candidate". It is what it sounds like: a candidate for the final release. If no bugs are found after some time, the release candidate becomes the final version. If bugs are found, a new release candidate is made available.

If you're curious, an "alpha" release is one that definitely needs more work before release (i.e. missing features, obvious bugs, frequent crashes), but is being made available to show off some features of the future release.

Back