Pandora Usb Video: Someone's Actually Played A Pandora!

notaz said:
techrock said:
JayFoxRox said:
Its still a huge let-down that the usb port requires a hub. They should include a small adapter to allow other usb speeds just by plugging it in or something similar.
How do you know you need a USB hub? The thing on the wire in the video looks like a small plastic label.

The big type A connector does need a hub to connect full or low speed devices (like gamepads), but supports high speed devices (like flash sticks) directly.
The small miniUSB connector can work in a host mode and supports all current USB modes, but needs a special adapter with ID pin connected to ground:
*img*
I couldn't find where to buy it locally so I soldered one myself:
*img*
All tested and working :)

Nice stuff you got there! However, thats probably for the usb otg port: it was mentioned a few times, that you MUST use an hub to handle the speed differences because the usb port (the normal one - not the usb otg port) only allows 480Mb/s (this is also why a software solution wouldn't work,fusion_power)

Last edited by a moderator:
That's basically what I wanted to say - OTG port supports all, and host port needs a hub for low speed devices (but doesn't for high speed ones).

Wow - I could almost TASTE it! That's an awesome video! Way to throw meat in the lion's den, huh?
Ashwin said:
well it would be nessasary for multiplayer or if you had it connected to a monitor and you wanted to play with a wireless controller :)
I was thinking just that - hooking it up to a TV, or colliding heads with someone who plays a USB pad, and you play directly on the Pandora... I guess the other player wouldn't appreciate it too much when you shake the console as you both play simultaneously... I think a little hub might be in order. I wonder how many controllers you can octopus out of this baby with a hub... Pandora: The Ultimate Party Game in your Pocket!

notaz said:
The GPU maker has not released drivers yet, so you won't see any 3D stuff until they are done.
I wonder if there's a potential for delays there? What would be worse, an unstable GPU driver on release (could crash the whole thing), a delay until GPU driver is stable, or a release without the GPU driver (CPU can do software rendering) albeit with a firmware update once the driver's good and ready?

sverm said:
I wonder if there's a potential for delays there? What would be worse, an unstable GPU driver on release (could crash the whole thing), a delay until GPU driver is stable, or a release without the GPU driver (CPU can do software rendering) albeit with a firmware update once the driver's good and ready?

Even if the driver is completely unavailable, it would not delay release. As we've seen, the Pandora is perfectly capable of running on the A8 alone. It would be nice to have an SGX driver by launch, but it won't make much difference as far as launch software or general usability.

Hey I got the same joypad! lol

Good old Sonic, running on yet another system it wasn't originally made for ;) GREAT STUFF! :)

"SunSpire"

notaz said:
The small miniUSB connector can work in a host mode and supports all current USB modes, but needs a special adapter with ID pin connected to ground:
Interesting. So when I plug a USB Gamepad into this Adapter and the Adapter into the Mini-USB jack onto the Pandora, I can use the Gamepad without a HUB? Nice, I hope such a adapter will be included into the Pandora Package. :)

notaz said:
The GPU maker has not released drivers yet, so you won't see any 3D stuff until they are done.
This explains some things, bad news. Imagine, the Pandora was released as first planed, June/july or so, we wouldn't have any useful Drivers for the 3D part yet. Maybe the Pandora delay wasn't that bad after all.
I hope they get the Drivers finished when the Pandora is shipping.

Why TI and SGX made such a cool Chip but don't made Drivers? AFAIK the 3D Drivers are Closed Source so the Company itself has to make it...these guys aren't the fastest ones huh? :lol:

Oh the drivers exist and work, they are just not in the current Pandora setup yet, they only work in an old Kernel.

They will get there though.

That's good news too. So, wait a sec: can PSX emulation already be done just with the CPU? If so, wow. Unbelievable at 600 MHz. I've always loved ARM, but that would be a pleasant surprise.

I'd love to play PSX on that thing. Can't wait to play Tomba 2 and Twisted Metal on that thing (I've tried on my PC, but the controls suck because I have no gamepad.

Back