Whats about an official Pandora Game Controller?

Hey gogeta74_3, did you get this PSX to USB working in Linux? I don't see it listed here but you can confirm that it recognizes 2 PSX/2 pads on Linux? That is if you use Linux.

I have two single USB to PSX but that makes more stuff to carry and uses an extra USB port. I still think the best option is a PS3 controller through bluetooth though, a lot less to carry.

Oh, and my post wasn't to you, I didn't even notice that there was a page 2, I read the first page and posted.

I'd tell you, but sadly it hasn't arrived yet. DX has horrible shipping times, but a deals a deal. The earliest I can get it is the 2nd, the latest being around 10th.

Post when you find out, I'd be really interested to see if it works. Some games I'd like 3 and 4 players and the ones that I got aren't sold anymore.

Kimundi said:
My Idea is to have a Gamepad/Usb Hub Hybrid that is small enough to have always with you
The flaw being that it would (almost certainly) need to be powered.

Anyways, one of you asked me to test out a controller and I did. A PS2 Controller attached to an extension chord attached to this
sku.11707
has successfully been tested and works in:

Windows 7 x86 (Tested in Controller Panel)
Windows Vista x64 (Tested in Control Panel, and w/ GTA IV)
Xubuntu 8.10 x86 (Tested with ZSNES)

Furthermore, with the help of X-Input, I was able to use my controller with GTA IV on my PC so I shall now enjoy "12 feet of length and a big screen".

Now,a thing I have to say about the Adapter is that the USB Hub did not work and I did not test out two-player. The adapter has an extremely small chord and often is either dangling from my computer or falls of, so think of something to deal with that. Shouldn't be a problem with the Pandora since the USB Hub is going to be close to the ground when you hook it up to your TV (or at least should be)

gogeta74_3 said:
I also wanted something like that and found the closest thing... A PSX/2 to USB 2.0 Adapter with a USB Port to make up for the one it takes: https://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.11707

As I've said, I'll test it if anybody wants to know. :)

I have that very same ps/ps2 to usb adapter, I use it with my PS arcade table to connect it to my media pc. It treats the game controller hooked up to it like any other HID.

I think this is a case of a device looking for a problem. Most multiplaying applications would be better served by full-sized Bluetooth controllers packed in alongside a TV-out cable for the Pandora in a small pack. The Pandora's screen just isn't large enough to get more than one set of head-AND-shoulders* in front of to see the screen for multi-play.

(*Only boy-girlfriend pairs, or equivalent, are going to ignore shoulder room)

The big thing is the total size of the package you want someone to carry. The Pandora is 'Pocket Sized' and that's it's selling point. I just load my pockets with the usual (currently wallet, pocketknife, keys, and Palm, the latter to be replaced with Pandora) and head out for the day. When you start adding carrying cases to pocket-devices you're in the land of backpacks and messenger bags anyway. At that point you've got the storage space to start carrying full-sized controllers.

Of course this is my own $0.02

I never said anything about home or away, indoor or outdoor, simply that the Pandora itself isn't large enough to provide decent display for more than one, maybe two -really friendly- players.

My other point stands as well: Adding a USB-hub+controller with cables pushes the Pandora well outside "Pocket-Sized" setup, and at that point you're using a backpack or messenger bag anyway. Even with the controller as a bluetooth device without the need for the cables the Pandora is at the limits of a pocket in the first place, hauling around another controller is yet another object, and at that point you might as well be carrying the rig in a larger pack anyway.

You do realize there is a Tv-Out...

But again, the vast majority of people may not want to have a controller, so that's their decision I suppose. Setting up two-player on such a small device does seem tedious when you already have a computer you can hook up, most likely with better hardware, to play games.

Dauric said:
I think this is a case of a device looking for a problem. Most multiplaying applications would be better served by full-sized Bluetooth controllers packed in alongside a TV-out cable for the Pandora in a small pack.

Apparently, yes I am aware there is a TV out. Shocking.

Dauric said:
The big thing is the total size of the package you want someone to carry. The Pandora is 'Pocket Sized' and that's it's selling point.<snip> When you start adding carrying cases to pocket-devices you're in the land of backpacks and messenger bags anyway. At that point you've got the storage space to start carrying full-sized controllers.

And if you're using USB cables rather than Bluetooth like the OP suggested, than you're looking at even more crap to carry for the setup, and if you're doing 3 or 4 players that means either A: someone's got a mess of cables streaming out of their hands while they're playing since they're holding the USB hub, or B: you've got a standard hub connected to the Pandora so no-one has do deal with more than one cable to deal with... and yet more crap in the bag you're traveling with.

And people have been discussing a variety of full-sized, standard USB and Bluetooth controllers for this purpose as perferable alternatives to a "Pandora themed controller brick" in this very thread.

It's a solution looking for a problem.

Back