Pandora Usb Video: Someone's Actually Played A Pandora!

CronoTriggerfan

Website
pixelstopolygons.com
Notasaz just posted a YouTube video of the USB board working with a USB controller, playing Sonic. Check it out here! It's a small step, but these are the kinds of things people want to see before the preorder.

Last edited by a moderator:
So we can use a controller with this for games? I don't really think that will be necessary with the device controls already.

well it would be nessasary for multiplayer or if you had it connected to a monitor and you wanted to play with a wireless controller :)

Plus the fact that the Pandora does not have any form of keyboard or controls at the moment. So you can quite simply say that this is a first, To actually see someone playing and controlling a game, Rather than watching a rolling demo displayed on the screen.

It`s progress. :)

Trooper

Mjlink said:
nice one hand Sonic control!
In fact that must have been knuckles, because he was flying!

And did anyone see the speed of Virtua Racing. Awesome!

Its still a huge let-down that the usb port requires a hub. They should include a small adapter to allow other usb speeds just by plugging it in or something similar.

Wow, I've never tried to play Sonic with one hand but notaz seems to be skilled enough for this. :D
And SVP Chip also works onto the pandora, Picodrive looks ready to go, frame limiter on and Pandora underclocked and then rock'n roll! :D (I wonder if Pandora-picodrive itself could set it's clockspeed on demand)

JayFoxRox said:
Its still a huge let-down that the usb port requires a hub. They should include a small adapter to allow other usb speeds just by plugging it in or something similar.
I hope this works without a HUB (is this a hub between Joypad and PCB?) maybe the Pandora can emulate a virtual hub to bypass this weird 480Mbit USB issue?

New update on the Pandora blog for anyone that's interested.
Video showing a USB pad working directly from the board (finally) and looking very sweet :D

Nice work guys and thanks for the update :)

EDIT: Never mind, I missed the other post lol

FRZ said:
So we can use a controller with this for games? I don't really think that will be necessary with the device controls already.

you could use it for playing games on TV-Out, etc.

JayFoxRox said:
How do you know you need a USB hub? The thing on the wire in the video looks like a small plastic label.

cool... now all we need to see working is a &%€$ING GPU. since this is primarily a games console, not a productivity / UMPC / web device, this is important.

the only demos we've seen have been proving the pure brunt of the CPU... even the quake2 video was running by software rendering. (aka a waste of devs' time porting.)

Pleng said:
Mjlink said:
nice one hand Sonic control!
In fact that must have been knuckles, because he was flying!

Yeah it's not a problem for me, I played the game in many ways (with half-broken gamepads, etc) when I was a kid.

techrock said:
JayFoxRox said:
How do you know you need a USB hub? The thing on the wire in the video looks like a small plastic label.

The big type A connector does need a hub to connect full or low speed devices (like gamepads), but supports high speed devices (like flash sticks) directly.
The small miniUSB connector can work in a host mode and supports all current USB modes, but needs a special adapter with ID pin connected to ground:
usbAdapt.jpg

I couldn't find where to buy it locally so I soldered one myself:
otgc0.png

otgc1.png

All tested and working :)

CC_machine said:
cool... now all we need to see working is a &%€$ING GPU. since this is primarily a games console, not a productivity / UMPC / web device, this is important.
The GPU maker has not released drivers yet, so you won't see any 3D stuff until they are done.

Back