Pandora Update

goldcd

Still Fresh
First of all a disclaimer - I have no idea how much work this would involve, quite how it would be managed, if it's even possible etc etc.
I've got a Pandora with my name on it, somewhere in a queue, but I've not and am completely unable to contribute towards any of the enticing Pandora projects that seem to be gestating in the many threads of this board. I intend to enjoy my Pandora by shamelessly slurping down the effort of others, I'll probably bitch and moan at every bug, but contribute nothing.

So disclaimer out of the way. What I want to pitch is some system that will benefit people like me - it could be seen as self interest, but I'd prefer it to be seen as a method of making the wonders of this product to the vast majority of my fellow inepts, who are the target for any mass-market system.

The ideal system would be something like sourceforge/SVN where devs have somewhere to publish their work and tag/branch/trunk the latest versions of their work and allow them to run betas and production versions. The front end of this would be something horrifically simple like the Apple AppStore where people like myself would be able to see everything that was out there and click to download/update straight to their Pandora over Wifi.

Whilst the Pandora itself is completely open-source, the majority of users will use a limited sub-set of what it's capable of. They're not going to be kept in a walled garden, but it would be nice if there was some sort of garden for them to browse.

My apologies if this topic has already come up, but I had a quick look and didn't turn up anything immediately relevant.

If I had to scope my question it would be a reviewer getting a Pandora in a jiffy bag, turning it on and wondering what the thing actually does out of the box. It needs to impress and it needs to do something better than an Atom netbook (and an internet of x86 software) and a PSP/DS of commercial marketplace crap.

The very simplest approach would be that there's a DIR on your Pandora that maps to a 'marketplace'. Each App has their own unique name as a subfolder under this. Users can then subscribe to the apps that they want/like and that sub-dir is just updated to whatever the latest build is on the 'server'. Now there's loads of stuff around this, e.g. persistent cfg/rom folders maybe beneath the sub-dir updates to them blah blah, but the rough idea is vaguely sound.

Anyway, that's what I'd like - I can't offer much to contribute towards it. I've got a dedicated peered Xeon server with ~ a Tb and BW not being an issue (i.e. if somebody else has the knowledge/ability to implement this I'll happily host it all). I'm competent with Apache/MySQL/PHP - so I could assist possibly - even if it's just an RSS of latest apps/version or similar that could plug into summat that comes OOB.

Just to summarize, wouldn't it be nice if somebody expecting a DS got a Pandora for Christmas (OK, maybe 2010). They turned it on, connected it to their WiFi and it gave them a lovely latest list of apps/emulators/games and just asked "Do you want this?"

Not only has this come up several times in the past, we've actually been discussing something very similar TODAY!
If you'd been in the right forum, reading the threads here, you probably would have found it and been able to add your suggestions to the mix. :p

Actually I reckon that thread which was discussing it is about to turn into a CraigIX comment speculation-fest, but here it is:
http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?/topic/50681-drudge-report/ (discussion starts part way in)

There is already the File Archive for the user side of this, and there have already been various suggestions about making this more visible to the user, now that device can actually access it directly.
In the thread above, Craig mentioned that he has been working on an AppStore style thing of some kind, so there look to be even more options.

On the developer side, I'm not sure that a centralised source host is really necessary.
With the wide variety of free source code hosting providers around these days, any developer can set one up and link to it pretty easily.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back