Pandora-Tan Character Art

-Tj-

This thread contains anime/manga-styled character artwork and related discussions. I humbly ask that you please refrain from posting negative comments if you do not like the subject material. Thanks!

When the wallpaper thread popped up, my first thought was "I gotta do one with an anime-styled girl based on Pandora." I did a little research before starting and found a couple other Pandora-tans, but not many. A friend and I both enjoy designing characters, so we decided to create some. Below are the rough designs we came up with, along with some info about them. Because they're roughs the poses are temporary, and the details and proportions may not be accurate or complete. If there's enough interest, we may make more finished versions for a wallpaper. :)

So! Without further ado, for your consideration, the Pandora-tans! Click the images for larger versions.

-------------------------------------------------------​
-Tj-'s Pandora-tan

20091210_Pandora.png
I envisioned a girl based on Pandora to be fairly mature; a little loli girl didn't seem to fit the image. Pandora's mainly black with hints of blue, hence the color scheme. The two satellites house the USB ports, SD1 and SD2 (on the back), the nubs, and the hinge pillars that house the light pipes and LEDs. Video out port is on her leg. Keypad and game buttons are on her right arm, D-pad on her left hand; probably going to swap these around. The visor is for the display. Can't see it, but on her jacket back is the Pandora logo. Little panda logos on her cheek and stomach.

I realize the visor doesn't make much sense, but hey, it looks cool on her. ;) For a future revision, I might swap the controls on the left and right hands, move the video out cable to her hip, and add L and R buttons as shoulder pads on her jacket.

-------------------------------------------------------​
chibiinochi's Pandora-tan
pandoratan01color%20copy3.jpg
This one is my friend chibiinochi's version. I'm proxy posting this image for him, his description of his design is as follows:
"I had the colors black and blue in mind, and wanted her to look "functional" with devices all over her. The devices lack detail at the moment. Keypad on her left arm, flips under her arm when in use. Stylus holder and small monitor on the right arm. Haven't designed the details yet. SD card slots on the left shoulder, game controllers on her right."

Both of us are a bit busy now so new drawings might come slowly. chibiinochi's said he's gonna try and do a bit more on his version on Monday, and I'm going to see if I can work my design a little more after my "day job". We'll upload more pics as they come. What do you guys think of them? :)

20091211_Pandora_Panda_Emoticon.png
Bonus panda emoticon for fun.

Yours is freaking incredible. DO WANT. (Although I could probably do without the little panda tattoos.)

P.S.: A wallpaper would be a fabulous idea, in case I didn't already make that apparent.

+1 for future box art once the pandora goes big (in know we're not getting a fancy box), well nvidia have their fairy and mermaid and ATI has their cyber chick after all.

but why all the blue?
Especially after that long debate about the anti-merits (there's a proper word for this, but I forget what it is) of blue LEDs :p

/* Stupip Answer on:

More Boops!

Stupid answer off */

Realy like the artwork nicely done.

I usually don't like these "-tans", but yours is totally amazing and well thought through (especially the thought of making her a more mature design, and thanks for not going overboard on the cups...). A wallpaper of that would be so sweet. I don't much care (I don't care at all, actually) for the second one though, it's too, well, childish.

EDIT: I could stand if you lost the little panda tattoos though. They don't quite fit with the otherwise very classy design.

The first one is sweet, Nice work!

I know these are rough designs so don't take offense to this, I just noticed something I thought was funny. With the shading around her legs it looks like she really needs a wax job. :D

Tj, you got a good natural pose. On first glance i'd go for a great picture, and i honestly cant wait for a cleaned up version.
However. (Hey, good critics, are supposed to help, yes?)
You got a LOT of details going on. Your shadows seam slightly messed up, face doesn't match the body shadow. And what material are the "socks" made of. You can see a pair of kneecaps, but not a wrinkle...

(Also i cant help but get a feeling her left leg is ever so slightly to long. (To the right, in picture.))

Bloody hell. you got talent. As a rough design, this is beautiful. I'm not getting a Pandora, but do keep working on this, and I'll grab a copy when your done to put in my artworks collection. Shes a real beauty, and got nuts amounts of potential. Thank you for sharing it.

The chibiinochi one isn't quite up to the same standards, but with a bit of practice, or just more time, it could go somewhere.
Main flaws, if you were to express it like that. She completely lacks a natural upper body pose. I don't know if her left arm is supposed to look straight, or bent. There is something funny going on from the elbow joint, and down to the wrist. I hate hands myself, they never turn out good, and well, seams I'm not alone with that problem.
This picture looks a lot more like conceptual / feature art, then a design trying to be the final work, so lack of personality, and shadows isn't really an issue.
I'd love to see this one with a bit more work on it, and cleaned up.

And, I'm not trying to be rude, or mean, just constructive criticism. I'm so going to keep tabs on this thread, i want to see where these go, and what else gets produced.
I hope this is well received... (Damn, i cant get over the first picture. I somehow feel i know that girl... Shes got real potential. Keep working with her.)
B!

Very nice! I agree with the earlier comments about dropping the panda tattoos; I also think you've gone a bit overboard on the logo marking on every bit of clothing - dropping the 'pandora' wording for some blue highlight bars might be a better option.

That said, they're awesome! And by awesome I mean totally sweet.

Brilliant work .
They are both nice, while the second one reminds me a little bit of "Captain Future" (Old series from the 80's).

Me personally, i like the first mature design more.

(here is a pure idea from me) -> If i am OK to leave my comment, i would say remove the Panda Logo from
the cheek and enlarge the belly one a little bit and let it look a little bit more natural like not comic like (The Panda logo).
Maybe like a Tattoo. <-(this is my personal suggestion and you don't need to take it into account at all, but i thought i might could look OK)

Yes !Please give us more !

Upon seeing the thread I was prepared to dismiss it, but upon seeing the drawing I must agree that you've got some talent. I like it a lot (the first one), very aesthetically pleasing. Weird thing tho - she bears frightening resemblance to an ex of mine o_O

Back