Pandora Pandora Sync Suite

Is it worth to make Pandora Sync Suite for windows?

• Yes

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Hessiess said:
no because WINDOWS IS SHIT.
Lets not get into an OS argument here. Some people prefer Linux, some prefer Windows. Lets leave it at that. There's no need for such comments.

Last edited by a moderator:
Squidge said:
It will be needed to add a little php script to make a list.txt of all files in txt format from server
No, the PHP script should make a list.xml file. .txt is so old and old-fashioned.
XML is so over and over-rated, though. If you need the full power of XML, why not use JSON, which is much more compact? Even JSON might be overkill, though. Assuming all programs will have the same meta-data, CSV might give you the best bang for the buck.

Yes from me! I'll do things directly from Pandora where I can (wifi allowing - it's not so prevalent down under). For the most part though, I think I'll be managing content from the PC.

If possible, make a linux version too.

I was a little mislead by the topic title... I thought this was sync software for like contacts, appointments and other such stuff... I will have to think a while before voting, but more platform support would be great :p

A yes from me, my gp2x folder on my pc is so disorganised. I never know where everything is and whats on my SD cards etc. Id use something like this a lot.

Dutch_Cap said:
XML is so over and over-rated, though. If you need the full power of XML, why not use JSON, which is much more compact? Even JSON might be overkill, though. Assuming all programs will have the same meta-data, CSV might give you the best bang for the buck.

I'm thinking XML simply because the file format is flexible. You can add elements and old versions of software will ignore them, if a piece of software in the archive doesn't have an a setting, you can ignore it and not generate the element in the XML file.

You certainly don't need full XML, SimpleXML would be fine - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simple_XML

many forum users getting wrong pandora sync suite, because they never used EmuDownloader. The Basics of Pandora sync suite is to automate downloading and configuring process of applications downloaded from repisitory servers dedicated to pandora. No such thing like microsoft active sync will be made. Apart from downloading apps / games / emus Pandora sync also could be an rss aggregator with all news about pandora, and also simple chat built on top of simple irc protocol. You'll be able to chat online with others pandora sync users [ and any other users who uses irc to communicate on pandora's irc channels ].

How's that ?
Good idea?

Squidge said:
Dutch_Cap said:

I'm thinking XML simply because the file format is flexible. You can add elements and old versions of software will ignore them, if a piece of software in the archive doesn't have an a setting, you can ignore it and not generate the element in the XML file.

You certainly don't need full XML, SimpleXML would be fine - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simple_XML

If you were to use CSV, an older client could simply ignore any column it didn't recognize. If a program lacked an option, it'd cost only three characters to print (',).

If you need nested/recursive data, though, that'd be a good reason to use XML (or JSON or LISP S-expressions).

I don't think implementing a second package-management via xml only for win-users would be a good idea.
why not making a windows-frontend for pandora's pakage-management-system (apt/ipkg/whatever) communicating via ssh? That way you wouldn't break anything in the intern package-management and everybody would be fine :) The internet-connection could always be tunneld over usb.

StreaK said:
many forum users getting wrong pandora sync suite, because they never used EmuDownloader. The Basics of Pandora sync suite is to automate downloading and configuring process of applications downloaded from repisitory servers dedicated to pandora. No such thing like microsoft active sync will be made. Apart from downloading apps / games / emus Pandora sync also could be an rss aggregator with all news about pandora, and also simple chat built on top of simple irc protocol. You'll be able to chat online with others pandora sync users [ and any other users who uses irc to communicate on pandora's irc channels ].

I'm one of those 'never used EmuDownloader' types. I'll ask a few questions which might also clear things a little fo other readers. I'm assuming from other people's comments that the app records what has been installed, if not then my questions are probably irrelevant.

If you update or install software through a repository how does that affect the sync software? Does it check what has been installed (or removed) by other methods and somehow add those to the data file? If so, does it ask what you want to do eg keep apps, not keep apps etc?

Similarly, if you use more than one pc, (personally I could be using one of three, depending where I am and what other things are running) and the software is loaded on each pc will this confuse the app ie is the data stored on Pandora or the pc?

If a Windows version were written, how likely would a Linux version be?

Does the Windows version need installing or is it just an .exe that could it be treated like a PortableApp, ie that can be stored on a USB and used wherever you are?

TaG said:
If you update or install software through a repository how does that affect the sync software? Does it check what has been installed (or removed) by other methods and somehow add those to the data file? If so, does it ask what you want to do eg keep apps, not keep apps etc?
it will be simply solved, if you will download any app form repository trough Pandora Sync utility once, pandora sync util adds to decompressed archve on your sd card / pandora disk small info file with version of app. Next time if you'll like to update stuff , pandor sync checks this file and compare with info in new archive. If its equal then will not sync / if version will be never will update it...

TaG said:
Similarly, if you use more than one pc, (personally I could be using one of three, depending where I am and what other things are running) and the software is loaded on each pc will this confuse the app ie is the data stored on Pandora or the pc?
pandora is a connector between repositories and your sd card not a connector between pandora sync and your sd card, so it's no matter where or on what computer you're using pandora sync suite

TaG said:
If a Windows version were written, how likely would a Linux version be?

Does the Windows version need installing or is it just an .exe that could it be treated like a PortableApp, ie that can be stored on a USB and used wherever you are?
Once it will be written-* [ and bug free ], ill release sourcecode. Kylix enthusiasts will have something to do. :)
Windows version will not need any installer. Itll be stand-alone-portable-app-in-exe-file.

*- The app is not written, i've created only few functions / procedures usefull for pandora sync suite. We have loong road to create full featured app. Thats why i created the pool, to know it is worth to make it.

I think first we need to find out how the Pandora file archive will work, whether it will be like Gp2X, or whether it'll be just a directory list with packages.gz and sources.gz (Like a debian repository), or both before you can start work on such an app.

For people new to Pandora, I think there should be the friendly GP2X Web-frontend to the archive. More experienced people will demand a proper repository (and probably miss out on the various apps which are uploaded to the archive in .zip format or other with no dependency information).

I'll be writing some Pandora apps to ease development, and manage the Pandora, etc, but these will typically be Windows-only (most likely using MFC), as I don't use Linux for desktop, only server.

Squidge said:
I think first we need to find out how the Pandora file archive will work, whether it will be like Gp2X, or whether it'll be just a directory list with packages.gz and sources.gz (Like a debian repository), or both before you can start work on such an app.

For people new to Pandora, I think there should be the friendly GP2X Web-frontend to the archive. More experienced people will demand a proper repository (and probably miss out on the various apps which are uploaded to the archive in .zip format or other with no dependency information).

I'll be writing some Pandora apps to ease development, and manage the Pandora, etc, but these will typically be Windows-only (most likely using MFC), as I don't use Linux for desktop, only server.

I'd better make sure I keep Windows on at least one pc then.

Thanks for your answers StreaK.

If you use/prefer Linux on a daily basis, then you can always either use an alternative, or use WINE/VMWare.

Sphinxter said:
Voted no because platform specific would just further fragment the community.
What kind of "fragmenting the community" youre talking about? If repositories will use XML routines/scripts to generate content updates , you and all linux users could use it aswell [ linux users could make linux-dedicated app to handle updates ]. Whats the problem ? Hating specific platform like windows also dont solve anything. Linux users should develop this kind of app to auto-download pandora emus / games, then everybody will be happy.

Your not talking about a 'Pandora Sync' program, you just want a package manager that works on everything. In that case there are people interested but it brings other problems. The package manager poll included some great discussion on how it could work. But it really breaks down to if it will resolve dependencies.

StreaK said:
Sphinxter said:
Voted no because platform specific would just further fragment the community.
What kind of "fragmenting the community" youre talking about? If repositories will use XML routines/scripts to generate content updates , you and all linux users could use it aswell [ linux users could make linux-dedicated app to handle updates ]. Whats the problem ? Hating specific platform like windows also dont solve anything. Linux users should develop this kind of app to auto-download pandora emus / games, then everybody will be happy.

Why not cross platform? Skillz?

Kings said:
Your not talking about a 'Pandora Sync' program, you just want a package manager that works on everything. ...
Yeah, im talkin especially about "Pandora Sync". Pandora Sync tool -> syncronizes all apps from www to pandora sd card. Is it a general problem in here? The name of the app?

Sphinxter said:
Why not cross platform? Skillz?
teasing me :). CrossPlatform ? Sure if i get real Cross Platform [ linux / win32 ] and BUG FREE RAD , i could try use it. Until then ill stay in my windows environment.

anyway, "good to see" orthodox windows haters around. In that matter you're completely the same as windows-lovers guys.

Back