Pandora Status Update

Thanks for the info, Chip.

While it's not all good news, at least it's news, and it's good to know what's going on. :D

I just hope that most of the people who get the early units are developers! Heck, I'd gladly give up my place in line (if early) to a talented dev, were it possible.

Oh thank you mali, fellow countryman, for giving me the information from which I infer that I will be the last person from this part of Europe to get a Pandora :p

MisterBrisby said:
The most important thing for me personally is, that at least some Pandoras will actually get delivered in the next months.
+1, but I'd shorten the timeframe. The sooner the first unit ships, the sooner we can stop futzing about with all these 'OH NOES!1!!1 P@nd0R@ is a SK@M!!!111! Wh@r is my m0n3y!?!1!?' posts in the forums. And that's just better for everyone.

The way I read Chip's update, it's still possible to have the first units ship on time (end of this month). The LCD panels are still the biggest supply chain obstacle, and the wi-fi antenna won't have a significant impact on shipping. They already have 600+ LCDs, and the other hardware apparently isn't a problem, so they may be able to ship as many Pandoras as they currently have LCDs for before the end of the month. I'm holding out hope we'll see the first unboxing videos hit youtube sometime around December 1st.

Last edited by a moderator:
MiniSinisterMinister said:
Oh thank you mali, fellow countryman, for giving me the information from which I infer that I will be the last person from this part of Europe to get a Pandora :p
Don't worry, I will send you some high resolution pictures of my Pandoralein :lol:

Chip said:
I think you guys answered Christo's questions fairly accurately. It is not "illegal" to sell preorders for a product as long as you are clear that it is a pre-order, which is surely the case here.

I don't know if Craig meant 100K USD or GBP for a professionally designed antenna, but it's a huge chunk of change either way. That's why they went with an alternate plan. No specifics were provided, but I imagine it entailed a lot of trial and error. High frequency antenna tuning is an incredibly complicated art.

Thanks everyone for the answers. I had no idea that designing an antenna was so complicated or expensive. I figured you could hire a professional engineer for a year for less money than that.

Hopefully, there will be enough room for both devices to be a success. I've like Gamepark systems for almost 5 years now and the Pandora seems like a welcome addition.

Chris

well, I guess all I can do is wait and see.

Just more time for prices to go down on huge SD cards

paolo said:
what if I don't receive any email and I'm supposed to reorder? There should be a list somewhere to grasp.
That's not a bad idea. How about a simple web app which contains a database of a list of order numbers that needs to be re-ordered. If you type your order number in and it matches then you need to re-order - the app could ask for confirmation to remove the chance of typos.

If someone at Pandora WHQ can get me a list of order numbers then I can put such a solution together.

jdh2550 said:
paolo said:
what if I don't receive any email and I'm supposed to reorder? There should be a list somewhere to grasp.
That's not a bad idea. How about a simple web app which contains a database of a list of order numbers that needs to be re-ordered. If you type your order number in and it matches then you need to re-order - the app could ask for confirmation to remove the chance of typos.

If someone at Pandora WHQ can get me a list of order numbers then I can put such a solution together.

well this would be the only solution 100% transparent, with anyone being able to see how many transactions are cancelled and need to be made a second time, otherwise nobody can be said sure (reasonabily, of course) of what's going on until shipment is delivered ;) Sticking a message full of "I received the mail, what position is mine?".. "I received too, but 10 min later, what does it mean?" can't be a solid method when dealing with such a huge amount of money!
since 250x4000 makes a serious amount of money I have no doubt craigx and the staff will set up a crisp clear method, privacy proof (no need of publishing dealers, just the order code).

Chip said:
andrewe1 said:
I paid using my visa debit card and the money got sucked out instantly, in my experience its not as easy to refund money to a debit card as it is to a credit card...
Does your debit card have a Visa or Mastercard logo on it? If so, then it's a credit card as far as any online ordering is concerned. The refund will work just fine, unless your bank just plain refuses it for some absurd reason.
Are you sure about that, Visa debit is definitely not a credit card. a credit card is just that "credit". There is a third party (your ccard company) who buys the items then bills you at the end of each month. A visa debit is different, much like a mastro etc. - Already covered. thanks

I'd like some clarification on who which card types are being refunded. (in the nicest possible way)

:)

joa said:
Chip said:
andrewe1 said:
I paid using my visa debit card and the money got sucked out instantly, in my experience its not as easy to refund money to a debit card as it is to a credit card...
Does your debit card have a Visa or Mastercard logo on it? If so, then it's a credit card as far as any online ordering is concerned. The refund will work just fine, unless your bank just plain refuses it for some absurd reason.
Are you sure about that, Visa debit is definitely not a credit card. a credit card is just that "credit". There is a third party (your ccard company) who buys the items then bills you at the end of each month. A visa debit is different, much like a mastro etc.

I'd like some clarification on who which card types are being refunded. (in the nicest possible way)

Chip is correct - as far as the website that collected your information it was billed as if it were a credit card - the transfer of funds is handled differently but the website/vendor doesn't get involved in that.

AFAIK, no-one knows which orders actually need to be refunded or not (it's not as simple as all orders of type X).

jdh2550 said:
joa said:
Chip said:
andrewe1 said:
Are you sure about that, Visa debit is definitely not a credit card. a credit card is just that "credit". There is a third party (your ccard company) who buys the items then bills you at the end of each month. A visa debit is different, much like a mastro etc.

Chip is correct - as far as the website that collected your information it was billed as if it were a credit card - the transfer of funds is handled differently but the website/vendor doesn't get involved in that.

AFAIK, no-one knows which orders actually need to be refunded or not (it's not as simple as all orders of type X).

My mistake, just re-read the whole thread. I ordered with maestro and got in about a minute after it went live and still no email; strange. I'll sit tight and wait a few days. Won't be ordering again until the funds have returned though.

The LCD delay possibility, while disappointing, is not terribly surprising, and I don't think it would be fair to blame the Pandora team for it - we'll just have to weather it like any other hiccup.

What's more important is that the project is moving forward, and I hope I speak for everyone involved when I say thanks for keeping us up to date and informed, even of the bad news. I'd much rather have a stream of bad news and delays than radio silence, especially as the ship date closes in.

Please please keep the information coming and I'd love to see updates on the front page. And thanks for all the hard work, even though everything isn't going according to plan, I'm still excited as hell for this project, and the continued commitment of the entire team (especially in the face of adversity) is appreciated beyond measure.

Illuminerdi said:
The LCD delay possibility, while disappointing, is not terribly surprising, and I don't think it would be fair to blame the Pandora team for it - we'll just have to weather it like any other hiccup.

What's more important is that the project is moving forward, and I hope I speak for everyone involved when I say thanks for keeping us up to date and informed, even of the bad news. I'd much rather have a stream of bad news and delays than radio silence, especially as the ship date closes in.

Please please keep the information coming and I'd love to see updates on the front page. And thanks for all the hard work, even though everything isn't going according to plan, I'm still excited as hell for this project, and the continued commitment of the entire team (especially in the face of adversity) is appreciated beyond measure.
+1 to that statement :)

mali said:
I have order no 30XX or so. Does that correspond to my place int he queue?
You are a Landsmann aren't you?
In Germany they started with 2299 and were actually online before the rest of the world. If I remember correctly , around 700 P.s were sold in Germany.

2299 + 700 = 2999

My number is 3033, so if this is true, then I'm probably on the end of queue. First I though I'll be happy to get :pandora1: at the end of October. Then Christmass seemed to be more acurate and now I hope my :pandora1: will make it till January 6th which is my birthday.

However, it still will be LEGEN - wait for it - DARY and awesome when it arrives. :)

When I get sad (because of :pandora1: delay), I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

Eso Rimmer said:
mali said:
I have order no 30XX or so. Does that correspond to my place int he queue?
You are a Landsmann aren't you?
In Germany they started with 2299 and were actually online before the rest of the world. If I remember correctly , around 700 P.s were sold in Germany.

2299 + 700 = 2999

My number is 3033, so if this is true, then I'm probably on the end of queue. First I though I'll be happy to get :pandora1: at the end of October. Then Christmass seemed to be more acurate and now I hope my :pandora1: will make it till January 6th which is my birthday.

However, it still will be LEGEN - wait for it - DARY and awesome when it arrives. :)

When I get sad (because of :pandora1: delay), I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

Be prepared for everything, but it is definitely possible, that things speed up. They warned us just in case, I suppose :)
Ausserdem, Vorfreude ist die schönste Freude ;)
I don't care, when I will get my P.

Eso Rimmer said:

:lol:

+1

High five!

This is very disappointing. I saw some people mentioning an order number, is that printed anywhere or is there a way to find that out? Also, is it EVERY credit card order or only a select few of them?

Back