Pandora sales

Kyosys said:
By the way, that is one awesome viking helmet, chip. I've always wanted one..
That was a cheap plastic viking helmet which I lost at a party seven or eight years ago. I got a very nice one a couple years ago made of steel and bronze with real horns, but it's a bit too small for my big melon head.

TaG said:
And some of you thought they knew nothing about marketing? The 'only 3000, then wait til next year' will have helped the onslaught.
A little bit like that South Park episode where Eric Cartman buys a failing amusement park, and then drives the demand way up by making commercials saying that no one else but him is allowed to go!

But seriously, awesome job, guys, at handling the volume and some pretty fast decision making on the Sunday deadline.

Chip said:
Kyosys said:
By the way, that is one awesome viking helmet, chip. I've always wanted one..
That was a cheap plastic viking helmet which I lost at a party seven or eight years ago. I got a very nice one a couple years ago made of steel and bronze with real horns, but it's a bit too small for my big melon head.

No party is complete without a big guy in a cheap plastic Viking helmet. :lol: I've had a few too, and I always lose them. Good thing they're cheap. Now that I think of it, I'll need one for this weekend. :p

Woooo! Just ordered mine, after some serious thought debate with myself. :lol:
I saw the text on the left of the main Pandora site, and thought 'Yay, a second chance!' I missed it on the the 30th 'cause I left my card at home, and it was sooo long after I got home, that I knew that they'd all be sold.
Well done so far p&|a team!

verm71 said:
TaG said:
And some of you thought they knew nothing about marketing? The 'only 3000, then wait til next year' will have helped the onslaught.
A little bit like that South Park episode where Eric Cartman buys a failing amusement park, and then drives the demand way up by making commercials saying that no one else but him is allowed to go!

But seriously, awesome job, guys, at handling the volume and some pretty fast decision making on the Sunday deadline.

I'm thinking this is more like the Wii episode, I can't wait any longer and I think I'm going to freeze myself till mid november - someone defrost me when My Pandora's here.. :D

i ordered my one as soon as the pre-orders started, and i am sorry i was one of those guys keep on refreshing the page, i was scared that all of the 3000 pandoras will go and none left for me :D

I am surprised how many have actually been sold so far, and I expect its even surprised its makers. It will be interesting to see just how many will be sold by close of business tomorrow.

I did pre-order mine about 17:30 on the day it opened.

Lennox Rosomer said:
does anyone know the exact (or there about) number of units sold so far?
Just wait till tomorrow. We'll have the total # of units.

Hey Chip. Btw, I recall you saying that they wouldn't sell out for nearly a month, and to back that statement, you claimed would buy one a day after preorders started. By rate of sales- 2000 in 6 hours- it sounds like you barely got a unit :p Although even I underestimated demand, I surely thought it would take a little under a week. But this.... mere days! Astonishing, really.

AireTamStorm said:
Hey Chip. Btw, I recall you saying that they wouldn't sell out for nearly a month, and to back that statement, you claimed would buy one a day after preorders started. By rate of sales- 2000 in 6 hours- it sounds like you barely got a unit :p Although even I underestimated demand, I surely thought it would take a little under a week. But this.... mere days! Astonishing, really.

My actual post, via Google cache:
The Pandora is not going to sell out within hours, or probably even days of the pre-orders opening up. These aren't superbowl tickets. There seems to be an echo-chamber effect at work here that is clouding everybody's judgment. Just relax. There will be plenty to go around.

In fact, I'm going to put my money where my mouth is. Whenever pre-orders do open up, I'm going to wait 24 hours to place my order. If I'm wrong, then I don't get one from the first batch. I'm very confident that I'm not wrong.

Of course, I placed my order as soon as they opened up. I may be confident, but I'm not stupid. It wouldn't really have mattered anyway, since there were still a couple hundred left before they decided to extend preorders to Sunday and just make however many were ordered. My main goal was to calm the people posting in several different threads complaining that they wouldn't be near a computer at exactly 2PM GMT. They needed a reality check, though I don't think I got through to many.

Chip said:
AireTamStorm said:

My actual post, via Google cache:
The Pandora is not going to sell out within hours, or probably even days of the pre-orders opening up. These aren't superbowl tickets. There seems to be an echo-chamber effect at work here that is clouding everybody's judgment. Just relax. There will be plenty to go around.

In fact, I'm going to put my money where my mouth is. Whenever pre-orders do open up, I'm going to wait 24 hours to place my order. If I'm wrong, then I don't get one from the first batch. I'm very confident that I'm not wrong.

Of course, I placed my order as soon as they opened up. I may be confident, but I'm not stupid. It wouldn't really have mattered anyway, since there were still a couple hundred left before they decided to extend preorders to Sunday and just make however many were ordered. My main goal was to calm the people posting in several different threads complaining that they wouldn't be near a computer at exactly 2PM GMT. They needed a reality check, though I don't think I got through to many.

well, technically chip wins the bet but it did sell quite alot more and alot faster than anyone's expectation.

i mean, 2k within 6 hours? i'm just glad i got my order in.

AireTamStorm said:
Lennox Rosomer said:
does anyone know the exact (or there about) number of units sold so far?
Just wait till tomorrow. We'll have the total # of units.

He might have said that but I am fairly sure he got in there pretty quickly.

quadomatic thought he wouldn't be able to get on but his sig suggests otherwise.

I think a lot of the 'regulars' got their units. Did anybody not manage to get on that was hoping to? They've got until about noon UK time tomorrow...

Oooray to all p&|a team.
I'm really glad to hear some good news about the Pandora's sellings.
I was away from the :gp2x: scene since months now because of "real life" things and the anxiety about the p&|a 's release (I know, I'm a weirdo :) ...).
But I followed the development of the p&|a and I feel really happy that this project is finally released, almost on time.
This project is the most interesting hardware thing since the :gp2x: for me.
I like the way it came from the :gp2x: scene, the way people got involved in it.
I'm pretty sure it will be a great success for those reasons.
I can't afford it for the moment so I'll have to wait the second batch but that's OK for me, I'm not in a hurry but I will buy one surely in 2009.

Holy crap jackets!!!

Time is now 12:15... just got off the phone with the lovely Jacquely ( very helpful for 4 hours sleep in 48 hours !! ) :eek:

I`m in :) ordered...

my wife`s going to kill me!

But I`m so happy :) :)

Back