Slashdot effect

Kyosys

What we know is that about 2800 pandoras have been ordered and that digg & slashdot single handedly killed everything pandora related for half a day, but I'd like to know how many unique visits the sites actually got?

Must have been quite intense!

I'm still laughing about it. (In a good way!) I'm very happy for the team, and I honestly didn't expect the explosion to be this big.

I do miss my forums though! Glad we have these for the time being!

Haha, you can blame me I guess, I'm one of the aforementioned slashdotter's responsible. My only regret is not knowing about this sooner, as it is I did preorder one yesterday, and plan to develop for it, in fact I'm very much looking forward to it. Hopefully some of the other traffic has been caused by others looking forward to developing for pandora. I'm glad to see how welcoming the community seems for those of us who are new here. I can't wait for mine to arrive that's for sure. I also look forward to the DSi coming out, and the pulling out my pandora next to some co-workers, (I work at Gamestop). As soon as I have some time I will definitely be downloading the proper tools so I can get a head start before my pandora arrives.

Loswave said:
and plan to develop for it, in fact I'm very much looking forward to it. As soon as I have some time I will definitely be downloading the proper tools so I can get a head start before my pandora arrives.
What previous programming experience do you have?

I've been primarily on the windows environment with the main exception with embedded solutions and as such know ASM for several archs, C, C++, and VB as the primary well known and usable languages. There are a bunch of other random languages (such as flash's actionscript for example, and torquescript for that matter) not worth mentioning. I figure at the very least my ASM knowledge and low level C should come in handy. On top of that having worked on most varieties (methodologies) of languages I can usually pick up a new language in about a month, any suggestions? I'm fairly new to linux programming, but am a long time programmer and linux user. By the time my pandora arrives I imagine I'll be well enough along to have plenty of code waiting to play with on it.

It's always great to see new developers interested in the Pandora... welcome Loswave!

SDL is a great language for coding games on Pandora. It's very easy to learn. I've been teaching myself, albeit rather slowly. A good tutorial is here.

Loswave said:
I've been primarily on the windows environment with the main exception with embedded solutions and as such know ASM for several archs, C, C++, and VB as the primary well known and usable languages. There are a bunch of other random languages (such as flash's actionscript for example, and torquescript for that matter) not worth mentioning. I figure at the very least my ASM knowledge and low level C should come in handy. On top of that having worked on most varieties (methodologies) of languages I can usually pick up a new language in about a month, any suggestions? I'm fairly new to linux programming, but am a long time programmer and linux user. By the time my pandora arrives I imagine I'll be well enough along to have plenty of code waiting to play with on it.

Nice.

No offense, but why the hell are you working at Gamestop? With that background, surely you can get a good programming job instead. Or so I would've thought, maybe I'm wrong (I haven't coded anything in maybe 10 years and have no idea what things are even like anymore).

Haha, you have no idea how many times I've asked myself the same question. I suppose it has something to do with not having a piece of paper stating a specific skill set. Ahh the drawbacks of being an autodidact. The other reason likely being that I live in Central New York, and the job market here isn't doing as well as it could be at the moment, beyond not really having any notable companies to work for at the moment other than Lockheed Martin, who is not hiring. I think also that if anyone reads my resume they're usually thinking there is no way I'm as well versed in the numerous topics that I say I am without have a degree (back to that piece of paper again) to back it up. I don't entirely blame them, but if they ever bothered giving me an interview then perhaps they'd know better, but hey, gives me more time to work on p&|a until I get a real job!

magicman5421 said:
me either
interesting to see the usage graph tho.
2800 tho? that's incredible.
great job Pandora team!

I don`t know about the official usage graphs, But i found this traffic stats/info about
OpenPandora.org and gp32x.de, Which is quite interesting, Though i`m not too sure how to interpret it. But the graphs paint a nice picture. :D

gp32x.de

OpenPandora.org

Trooper

Last edited by a moderator:
trooper said:
I don`t know about the official usage graphs, But i found this traffic stats/info about
OpenPandora.org and gp32x.de, Which is quite interesting, Though i`m not too sure how to interpret it. But the graphs paint a nice picture. :D

gp32x.de

OpenPandora.org

Trooper

Nice. Too bad the GP32 picture is only half painted.

Its not even a "hockey stick" curve, its more like... the step function. lol :twisted:

-Origin

Loswave said:
Haha, you can blame me I guess, I'm one of the aforementioned slashdotter's responsible. My only regret is not knowing about this sooner, as it is I did preorder one yesterday, and plan to develop for it, in fact I'm very much looking forward to it. Hopefully some of the other traffic has been caused by others looking forward to developing for pandora. I'm glad to see how welcoming the community seems for those of us who are new here. I can't wait for mine to arrive that's for sure. I also look forward to the DSi coming out, and the pulling out my pandora next to some co-workers, (I work at Gamestop). As soon as I have some time I will definitely be downloading the proper tools so I can get a head start before my pandora arrives.
Oh that's great! Glad that slashdot is bringing in programmers as well, we can never have enough of these!

trooper said:
magicman5421 said:
me either
interesting to see the usage graph tho.
2800 tho? that's incredible.
great job Pandora team!

gp32x.de

OpenPandora.org

Trooper
Hehe, yeah I saw that.

Back