Pandora Production Progress!

@jasay and Caine

I should search for the other times this has come up.
But anyway, storing and internal representation I find to be different to the way people like to read it.
Out of curiosity is that how you would right the date on paper to hand to someone else to read?

jasay said:
second exodous said:
DD/MM/YY actually makes more sense since you start at the smallest increment of time to the largest. I always write dates out like this:

21/AUG/10 that way there is no confusion. I have no idea why the US switched to MM/DD/YY.
While I agree that the US date method MM/DD/YY doesn't make any sense at all, I've always felt the best date standard would be YYYY/MM/DD. Then chronological order is also alphabetical order. Ever had to take notes at a weekly meeting or something similar? If you name the files something like "Meeting Minutes 2010-06-14", then all the files show up on the computer in order. If you use DD/MM/(YY)YY, then you end up with all of the meetings that happened e.g. on the first of the month together, that's hardly helpful. Likewise for the US method you end up with files sorted by month.

I also spell out the month on all legal forms, checks, etc., but am forced to use MM/DD/(YY)YY at work due to company policies.
Wow, YY/MM/DD would be better for computers, I never thought of that. I think the world should switch to that format, and this time everyone, not just everyone but the US.

Anyway, is 'Pandora Production' in twitter the Pandora team? I don't see why they made a separate twitter account just for this, why didn't ED or Craig just use their twitter account? This is from the Pandora team, right?

EDIT: Oops, just noticed it was a Flickr account. Gosh, too many social networkie things on the nets now-a-days.

Last edited by a moderator:
second exodous said:
Wow, YY/MM/DD would be better for computers, I never thought of that. I think the world should switch to that format, and this time everyone, not just everyone but the US.

It's how I often create file or folder names for works in progress (when I expect there to be several revisions over some time period rather than just 3 or 4, say). The latest is always the last one.[/quote]

When I sign in at school tomorrow, I will write the date as 15/6/10 (or maybe 15/06/2010 if I'm feeling verbose). The order in the UK IS DD/MM/YY.

second exodous said:

They already have. Kind of. :)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_8601#Calendar_dates

Na-Noo said:
But anyway, storing and internal representation I find to be different to the way people like to read it.
Out of curiosity is that how you would right the date on paper to hand to someone else to read?

If I write the date on paper I always write it out fully e.g. June 14, 2010, except at work where company policies dictate MM/DD/(YY)YY. I work in medical devices so we have a lot of paperwork that needs signing/dating and it needs to be consistent. If it's on a computer I always write YYYY-MM-DD (we don't do any digital signatures so I don't have to worry about this one).

As for whether people prefer to read one method or another, no one has ever questioned my choice of date format and I've caught a few other coworkers starting to use it after noticing the organization of my files on the network.

jasay said:
----snip----
As for whether people prefer to read one method or another, no one has ever questioned my choice of date format and I've caught a few other coworkers starting to use it after noticing the organization of my files on the network.
I wasn't talking about best way to format it for a filename. But like I said it was a genuine question.

Polossatik said:
atomicthumbs said:
if I can figure out how I'll make a graph widget using Google Visualization API and put it on pandorapress (if Gruso okays it), and update it with what we know from openpandora staff's posts

Jolly good idea indeed.

Guys,

I have a solution to track the Pandora Production Progress :

I created a "Pandora Production Number" as integer field for user info.

It is possible to query the latest one and you can also visualize the users on Google Map.

www.Open-Pandora.net > Menu Home | User List | Search users

David :pandora2ut4:

Na-Noo said:
@jasay and Caine

I should search for the other times this has come up.
Of course not. The accepted standard (around here) is DD/MM/YY (which would be my second choice).

Sometimes history yields standards which in retrospect could be better, unfortunately they are hard or impossible to change.

For instance, I'm also annoyed by the pronunciation of numbers in a lot of European languages.
Take the number 235. According to a base 10 numbering system this is 2*10^2 + 3*10^1 + 5*10^0.

English would call this: two-hundred (and) Thirty five, where thirty is an abbreviation of three-ten (this is quite acceptable).
Dutch would call this: twee-honderd en vijf en dertig (two-hundred and five and thirty). For some odd reason we reverse the last two digits (Germans do the same).
Japanese would call this: ni-hyaku san-ju go (two-hundred three-ten five) which is the best way in my opinion. It's nice, regular, easy and conforms to how the numbering system works mathematically.

(Note: I'm leaving the French out of this (they pronounce 90 as four times twenty plus ten) which is too insane to even discuss.)

Naturally, I cannot change these words in my Language. When naming files on my computer though, I'm free to alter the date in a format which is easy for me. And most people who see these files immediately understand a) why they are different and b ) what format is being used (I use YYYY/MM/DD to emphasize the fact that the first parts is the year and therefore an alternative date representation is being used).

We're stuck with the result of many years of history. It is kinda surprising though, that Americans have a tendency to end up with the least logical decision (MM/DD/YY, fahrenheit, etc.).

Well, enough off topic stuff for now. Back to business...

Nice work! (I'm mirroring the current version in this post for posterity)

9u3yI.jpg

One possible error: I think that they were going to be ordering all 9000 cases from China next time, rather than 3000. Or did that change?

Glad to see people feel the graphic is worthwhile.

I am not part of the team, just a keen customer.

According to all the information I can find, only 3000 extra cases have been ordered.

And strictly speaking I believe 'cases' means keymats, shoulder buttons and other minor items.

So far I have no clue about LCD screen quantities or orders. Or indeed if they come from China, Texas or elsewhere.

I'm also sketchy on main boards in the UK. 1,500 is a figure that has been bandied around.

If Craig, ED or any of the team would like to address this thread with correct numbers as they stand right now I'm happy to update and attempt to stay on top of it as much as possible.

pandoraproduction said:
According to all the information I can find, only 3000 extra cases have been ordered.
EvilDragon said:
It's definately more than 3000 we ordered (to have spare :D ) but I don't know if we went for the full 9000 :)

you are ruining the fun. half the fun of the pandora is piecing together various bits of information and putting it all together from different sources:
-gp32x forum threads
-craigix twitter posts
-ed's youtube videos
-mweston's flickr account
-the official pandora blog
-the un-official community blog (pandora press)
-Alec's stalker page
-speculation, rumors, etc.

it's a puzzle! :huh:

nice graph btw. It would be nice if a member of the official team kept one of these up to date, but I'd rather have them assembling more boards.

I have replaced the Flickr graphic with a full website for greater flexibility.

http://www.pandoraproduction.comze.com/

I will do my utmost to keep this accurate.

Please assist if you know any REAL information.

Updated today.

atomicthumbs said:
if I can figure out how I'll make a graph widget using Google Visualization API and put it on pandorapress (if Gruso okays it), and update it with what we know from openpandora staff's posts
Okay. :)

I ordered 7 days into the pre-order process. Looking through the other 'post your position by order date-time here' threads, that puts me somewhere in the 1500+/- range. Making some assumptions about cases showing up in reasonable time frames, etc... My Pandora should be here somewhere in what? Call it 40 days out at this rate. Whoever is at the tail end of the line (3900?) is looking at 3 months more then?

I understand that OPL is selling the first batch at a bit of a loss as it covers development costs - with the hope that the 2nd batch will start to show a bit of profit. I'm sure they have all the incentive in the world to get the first batch 'out the door' so they can get the 2nd batch orders processed and with any luck start showing some black in the ledger.

I'm still pretty concerned about the slow build rate though. Assuming the 2nd batch is somewhere on the order of 5,500 units (finishing out the case run leaving 500 for 'other'), they likely won't be on batch 3 until 2011. I hope they can find ways to speed up the build process.

Back