Pandora Production Progress!

pandoraproduction

Still Fresh
As a GBAX customer and user of this board I finally got fed up with 30-40% of the posts being about misinformation and desperation.

The main problem here is that there is information out there but it is being randomly posted by official team members and spurious guesswork is being posted by forum members.

I wonder if we can reduce some pointless forum traffic? The information should be visual, poignant, accurate and in a single place.

Let's try this...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/pandoraproduction/4698879651

If you have ACCURATE information, send an e-mail to the Yahoo account associated with the Flickr account above. Do not PM this forum account.

In response to the e mails I have received so far:

I am aware the figures I've posted are rounded as opposed to wholly 100% accurate. If we can get more accurate numbers I will post them.

If you have received a Pandora, and you are comfortable doing so, feel free to mail your production number and we can make good estimates from that.

I understand my figures may be wrong, please e mail me correct information if you have it.

The more accurate the update page hopefully the less random guessing posts will clog up this forum.

if I can figure out how I'll make a graph widget using Google Visualization API and put it on pandorapress (if Gruso okays it), and update it with what we know from openpandora staff's posts

atomicthumbs said:
if I can figure out how I'll make a graph widget using Google Visualization API and put it on pandorapress (if Gruso okays it), and update it with what we know from openpandora staff's posts

Jolly good idea indeed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Some great ideas appearing today! :D

Three cheers to anyone on here who creates something I can have as a browser favourite, that shows us prodn. details in pie/graph or whatever format, so that there's no need to trawl twitter/forum/a.n.other pages to try to put details together.

Absoultely no offence to the team, but I have found it quite a task to locate information reliably. Consequently, I have read some frustrated responses from Evil Dragon and Craig along the lines of "Jeez, I already told everyone in my last post to the forum in thread xxx!".

But as there is no rhyme nor reason as to where these posts appear, and they are not in a kind of summary form, you can see why there's so much doubt and confusion...

Fingers crossed one of these ideas takes hold and we have a central information summary thingummy page(!)

;)

Very interesting Graphic. :)
With such a thing from OPT, they've could have saved infinite time because nobody would ask every 5 Minutes about progress and order numbers. :D
A Picture says more than 1000 words indeed.
But I'm a little bit scared about the low building rate "per day", I remember they've built 200 in one Weekend.
22,6 Pandoras a day, with this speed they would need around 177 Days for 4000 Pandoras, delays because of still missing Cases not counted. Thats somewhat around 6 Months if they work 7 days a week. Would mean they need one year for assembling a second batch of 8000 Units. :blink:
Funny: if 80K people order a Pandora it would take 10 Years to assemble them at the current speed. :D
I hope they can indeed speed up things like promised. But of course not at the cost of Quality.

Keep in mind that this includes learning and organizing the assembly process itself, as well as waiting for the next batch of boards to arrive.

Although, before they started assembly I feared that the remaining 3000 cases would become a critical bottleneck and it appears that is currently the case.
We are (slowly) approaching the 1000 units and once it hits that it will be full stop until the Chinese deliver. Given past experiences I don't expect these cases to arrive until halfway or perhaps even the end of July.

Craig is planning to have some parts of the assembly to be performed in China as well hoping for a speedup, but it will probably be a screwup.

All in all, I currently believe that the last units will ship around December.

1st bar graph (700 constructed and detail that 200 are being constructed) should that 700 actually be 500? the 200 can't be in 2 statuses being built and already constructed?

fusion_power said:
But I'm a little bit scared about the low building rate "per day", I remember they've built 200 in one Weekend.
22,6 Pandoras a day, with this speed they would need around 177 Days for 4000 Pandoras, delays because of still missing Cases not counted. Thats somewhat around 6 Months if they work 7 days a week.

And this is why the team are reluctant to provide specific information. The raw build rate does not take into account that sometimes, time will be spent doing things that don't add to the shipping rate, like unpacking a pallet load of new PCBs, or building up the lids for 200 units whilst waiting for the PCBs. Add to that the short term delay caused by asking the Chinese factory to perform a man month of work before shipping the remaining cases - and it becomes nigh on impossible to even estimate how long the final 300 cases will take to fill up. At least we should get a tweet to mark that moment...

Twiitcher said:
1st bar graph (700 constructed and detail that 200 are being constructed) should that 700 actually be 500? the 200 can't be in 2 statuses being built and already constructed?

There is no error given the information I've found so far.

The 200 currently being constructed are NOT included in this 700. The figures I've found in the forums all point to 700 built but only 500 shipped.

I can only assume that 200 or so have been sent elsewhere, or have yet to be shipped?

Real figures and info welcomed.

Finally a good idea... This is the info that should appear on the official website...
Thank you ! will bookmark !

Awesome graph, but 2010 only has 12 months. :eek: Totally makes up for this not being about Pandora: The musical.

Also, why is there no PANDORA: The musical?

hedwards said:
Awesome graph, but 2010 only has 12 months.

I live in the United Kingdom so we have our dates DD/MM/YYYY or as we like to say "in the correct order". ;)

Seriously though, when I do the next update I will change this to say the month in letters just to be clear for all countries.

Glad people like this idea. :)

I'm happy to continue doing this, or if the PandoraPress website can set up something better then that is of course fine by me.

DD/MM/YY actually makes more sense since you start at the smallest increment of time to the largest. I always write dates out like this:

21/AUG/10 that way there is no confusion. I have no idea why the US switched to MM/DD/YY.

second exodous said:
DD/MM/YY actually makes more sense since you start at the smallest increment of time to the largest. I always write dates out like this:

21/AUG/10 that way there is no confusion. I have no idea why the US switched to MM/DD/YY.
While I agree that the US date method MM/DD/YY doesn't make any sense at all, I've always felt the best date standard would be YYYY/MM/DD. Then chronological order is also alphabetical order. Ever had to take notes at a weekly meeting or something similar? If you name the files something like "Meeting Minutes 2010-06-14", then all the files show up on the computer in order. If you use DD/MM/(YY)YY, then you end up with all of the meetings that happened e.g. on the first of the month together, that's hardly helpful. Likewise for the US method you end up with files sorted by month.

I also spell out the month on all legal forms, checks, etc., but am forced to use MM/DD/(YY)YY at work due to company policies.

second exodous said:

Indeed. I personally prefer YY/MM/DD which is even nicer since it is lexicographically sorted.

<edit>Hmmm, ninjas...</edit>

I was at production on site and can tell you all that it is way more work than even i had thought ,there are soo many factors going into the build of each and every single pandora that lots of time is needed throughout every element of build ,this device is not basic like the way Ed's pandora build video shows ,there are countless peices of hardware and countless peices of plastics that all need to be checked/prepped/placed/and then put together and even when these parts are together they need to be checked again and then again at the very end of the build.

These guys Ed Craig MWeston are doing a very hard job and they are doing it to an ability that is much better than my own ,the planning involved is crazy and honestly when i was there ,i felt bad for them becase they looked drained but happy // more than happy to go on and on in maximum effort to get these units ready and out the door ,and then there is all the shipping/posting out to the customers to deal with and if you believe there are loads of people doing this then you are wrong ,it's very hard work and the pandora is quite an amazing thing to behold ,i still can't believe i have one ,i still can't believe four people have created this and to look at the quality it's fucking amazing ,yes the pandora units are not perfect as you will all know and the amazing thing is 99% of the time these problems are nothing to do with OPT in regards to build quality ,the case is the worst hinderance to the build as it is not YET perfect but it will be and even the way it is now ,it's tops.

When i was with Craig and Michel & Michael Weston ,i got the feeling of extreme happiness and also extreme worrie ,those guys were only worried about one thing and i can tell you that worry was you the customer ,they really only want you to get your pandora and be happy ,and they all left an impression of greatness to me ,i hope they do well and i will be reordering when the second batch is here ,give it time guys (it's homebrew)

ps ,Ed is a mega cool guy btw and i think he is the most passionate about the pandora as you could see how excited he was just showing off the pandora he loves the device and you can't blame him and i think this is why Ed can get a little defensive at times plus stress and working on this project 24/7,craig also wanted me to personaly check the device out and try some games ,you could tell he really wanted real feedback and not just yer is amazing and the best thing in the world and craig was getting mucked in from the word go ,running around to the post office to post another box of pandora's and then right back and right to the production line and then thinking about how many he can get in after the current line of units are done,those guys have a long way to go and it is already tough on them ,i wish them luck ,they need it along with strenth and the main thing they need is to know you guys are right behind them ,you will get your pandora's thats for sure and they will be better and better with every batch of 100 that they do ,and the first 100 are very good so the future of pandora build i am sure is good.

Back