Release Pandora Photos: Final Design.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lurkio said:
jaycee900 said:
Its all a bit confusing to if this is the final super douper rounded edged slimlined final final version from what we saw before or the nearly there version with a few small tweaks needed version?
ITT

jaycee900 said:
Also Craig can you post some dimensions for me, I want to buy a case before it arrives and although you will/might do an official case later on of course thats not top priority so I want to buy a 3rd party case so some dimensions would be great, thanks
The wiki is your friend ;)

Hi, thanks I did look on one wiki faq but couldnt find any info, thanks for the link!

The 4th photo from the top still to me makes it look still thicker than the 27mm it states it will be, is this because the lid is not the final version? I remember Craig saying the lid will get slimmer at some point, the bottom part alone looks this depth! How about a photo with the lid closed next to a ruler to put some of our minds at rest!

Last edited by a moderator:
I've already seen the small and very low quality pictures of the Pandora console. Looks like they were taken with a cellphone. Craig; could you get a hold of a good quality camera and give us something to drool over?

I believe he's currently working on a video for us. I'd rather see that before more pics.

looks pretty cool. I am eager to see some high-res photos of this soon but for a little peek preview this is enough to satisfy me for the next few days :D

Looks like I desperately need to save some money now. Anybody looking for spare body parts? I guess I can spare a kidney ^^.

@CraigIX:
if you calibrated your monitors there would be much less glare in the photographs, monitor brightness should be set relative to the ambient lighting, or you will get high/lo brightness banding. as well as bad glare in photographs :).

we actually use this forum now?

Well, she's a beauty. I noticed that eye thing also, give 'er a pretty mouth and I won't need a girlfriend!

Anyway, I just love this. It's just... sooo small. I mean I knew it was gonna be this small, but DAMN

pandora said:
This is the MK0 case, right? So..... Not the final design?
I thought the publicly availiable pandora (MK1) would have a 'much sleeker looking case'.
jaycee900 said:
The 4th photo from the top still to me makes it look still thicker than the 27mm it states it will be, is this because the lid is not the final version? I remember Craig saying the lid will get slimmer at some point, the bottom part alone looks this depth! How about a photo with the lid closed next to a ruler to put some of our minds at rest!

Well there are limits due to components. Until they come out with a mystic 5000 MAh battery that is 1mm thick and magic .5mm thick LCDs and speakers, and buttons and nubs that don't stick up, you can only get so thin unfortunatly. Damn physics and geometry ruin it everytime :p

jaycee900 said:
http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa99/MW...07/DSC00736.jpg

I still don't see why everyone's so gaga over the size. It's about as big as an original DS, by my calculations. No great cramming feat. That's not to say that it doesn't look extremely solid and aesthetically pleasing in a sort of rugged, 80's way, but it's not that small, guys.

Regardless, thanks again for the pics, Craig! Any idea when we'll get a glimpse of the MK1 case, or is that to be revealed only the moment I crack open the box itself?

CronoTriggerfan said:
I still don't see why everyone's so gaga over the size. It's about as big as an original DS, by my calculations. No great cramming feat. That's not to say that it doesn't look extremely solid and aesthetically pleasing in a sort of rugged, 80's way, but it's not that small, guys.
We're talking a computer/gaming console with touchscreen, bluetooth, wifi, keyboard, gaming controls, fast processor, lots of ram, large screen, tv out, audio in and probably more stuff than I've forgotten.
I'd say that's pretty damn small to fit everything in.

chris_r said:
CronoTriggerfan said:
We're talking a computer/gaming console with touchscreen, bluetooth, wifi, keyboard, gaming controls, fast processor, lots of ram, large screen, tv out, audio in and probably more stuff than I've forgotten.
I'd say that's pretty damn small to fit everything in.

While this is quite the incredible feat from an all-in-one standpoint, you forget how small many of these components are. Being a student of basic electronic engineering and PCB design, while I'd say that Pandora has an excellently formulated and organized motherboard, I would say Pandora is about what I would expect with the given components. Not too big that it'd be unwieldy, but not so crammed as it would be uncomfortable or completely volatile to explorers such as myself. In fact, I seem to remember Pandora being designed with a bit of extra space to accommodate adventurous modders.

My point is, it's average size, IMO, not OMG ITZ SO TINEE!!!>!?! :p

I hope the final product isn't going to look like a solid brick of cheap plastic when closed (No offense.) I'd like to see maybe glossy plastic, at least on the outer case.
Does anyone know what kind of plastic they're going to use?

CronoTriggerfan said:

Regardless, thanks again for the pics, Craig! Any idea when we'll get a glimpse of the MK1 case, or is that to be revealed only the moment I crack open the box itself?
I agree, especially considering how long we've had the exact dimensions of the Pandora and pictures of similar "prototype" cases like this one. These kinds of reactions aren't anything out of the ordinary around here, though, so you shouldn't be surprised. Don't get me wrong, I appreciate the pictures, but I expected it to be the size it appears to be in the pictures, so there's nothing really impressive or shocking about the contents of the pictures.

MWeston said:
jaycee900 said:

Ah thanks very much for taking the effort for the photo, certainly makes me more happy now, you know doubts creaping in etc lol

Thanks again MW :D

MWeston said:
jaycee900 said:

Nice, MWeston saves the Day again. :) But to late, I needed the exact Measurements a little bit earlier because AFAIK there never was a detailed description of how much Millimeters of the 27mm thickness are for the case and how much Millimeters are for the lid. ^_^ So I just guessed the lid would be a little bit more than 10mm and I decided 11mm :lol: Now my measurements doesn't fit and my fantasy-Case doesn't fit to ;) :

Azure said:
CronoTriggerfan said:

I agree, especially considering how long we've had the exact dimensions of the Pandora and pictures of similar "prototype" cases like this one. These kinds of reactions aren't anything out of the ordinary around here, though, so you shouldn't be surprised. Don't get me wrong, I appreciate the pictures, but I expected it to be the size it appears to be in the pictures, so there's nothing really impressive or shocking about the contents of the pictures.

People have seen the DS for a long time, but a handheld roughly the same size with a giant touchscreen and qwerty keypad w/ game controls will amaze anyone. I keep picking up devices and trying to compare to the Pandora(Size and Spec), and I still cant get my mind around how it packs so much in that small space.

Edit: Pocket translators seem to be the closest in size and some idea of how small the keyboard is. Which reminds me, can there be a closeup of the keyboard, with a coin the size of a key on there? I'm interested in differentiating between thumb and finger typing.

and how it stays so cheap.

Sure, I have a DS. It has like 50 MHz and two handheld-average screens and 10 buttons + 2 shoulder buttons, then I look at the pandora, and, DAMN

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back