Release Pandora Photos: Final Design.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I understand craig being amazed. Most handhelds seem impossibly small when first held in hand.

Lurkio said:
My first thoughts were, bloody hell it's a fat bastard. :lol:
my first thoughts were, one step closer to the final.

I'm so glad...all i will need is a job so I can buy this thing... :(

Last edited by a moderator:
ninjak said:
That's rapid prototyping plastic obviously not the final finish.
:huh:

It's the opposite: this Prototype is somekind of Deluxe Version of the normal Pandora MK0. ED said that the case-material is different then it will be usual (therefore each Prototype costs ~500$) :unsure:

Hawkey said:
ninjak said:

It's the opposite: this Prototype is somekind of Deluxe Version of the normal Pandora MK0. ED said that the case-material is different then it will be usual (therefore each Prototype costs ~500$) :unsure:

ED also said, that the High Quality Cases are delayed (oh wonder -_-) so he only can show the MK0 Prototype Case to (next week or so) and I think this will be the same type of Case like Craigix showed us and this is a Rapid Prototype product.
But ED will use High Res Pix and Videos of course. :)

Now we know the reasons for the delays. The wine is always open and on display, the beer is close at hand but the 7Up is closed. ;)

Thanks for the photos Craig/Michael. Looking forward to the future sets with keyboard and revised case.

fusion_power said:
Hawkey said:
ninjak said:

ED also said, that the High Quality Cases are delayed

Wonderful. :rolleyes:

Beautiful! Even though it's not completely final, it still looks like it'll be comfortable and easy to use! I've had a DS Phat since launch, in fact I've never even touched a DS Lite(besides the in-store demos) and I have to say that that's a perfect size for a handheld, especially one with the features the Pandora boasts.
All in all, I'm very happy right now! Good job to everyone who's worked on this, I expect you guys will take a looong vacation after this is released. ;)

Hawkey said:
ninjak said:

Prototipes are far more expensive than commmon models, not because of better materials but a more "handcrafted" work. Making prototipes means to assembly a tiny batch of models, and this also means that aren't used large assembly lines (assembly lines are based on a large series of repetitive actions: assembler robots for make the PCB and put every component on it, plastic injection moulds for the case, and so on, a construction system that is very very expensive to set up initially but improves its reliability proportionally to the amount of items made; the greater the quantity of Pandoras, the greater reliability of the assembly line), instead of it, each prototipe is made using machines designed to work over very small batchs (think that a little change in a desing could represent so many changes to re-set up the whole assembly line, so, it's better to work in small amounts until the desing is proved right) and of course it means that make a prototipe uses specially designed machines to work on it (and even, sometimes, real handcrafting).

Think in a prototipe like if it were an unique item (it is possible that actually were that!).

PD: I'm sorry if it is not very understandable, I've do my best to explain it, but my poor english limits me badly.

icurafu said:
I guess people have trouble visualising a device like this. I remember when my GP2X turned up. I was shocked that it was smaller than I imagined.
I know where you're coming from. When I first ripped my GP2X out of it's packaging, I thought: "DAMN, this thing is tiny!"

I am glad to see all these prototype pics, and am hoping to see more. But I'm really waiting for that e-mail to make sure the mailing list works. ;)

-God Ginrai

Since the photos at the top of the thread were teeny and dark, I've taken the liberty of blowing a couple of them them up a bit and adjusting the gamma, so you can actually see what's going on:

pandora_enhanced.jpg

pandora_enhanced2.jpg

So no actual keyboard there yet... <_< Can't wait to get my hands on a real one!

Its this the final design??? i mean it doesnt have that shiny shell like ds lites? and the top part where the screen goes look too fat <_<
please dont get mad of me :( its my opinion :)

^ It's just a prototype case, that's why it's not shiny.

As for the lid thickness, it looks to be about half the thickness of the base, which looks well proportioned to me. That's just my opinion though. :)

I really like those concept pictures fusion power posted on post #38. I hope the finals look that sweet.

Gruso said:
^ It's just a prototype case, that's why it's not shiny.

As for the lid thickness, it looks to be about half the thickness of the base, which looks well proportioned to me. That's just my opinion though. :)
I don't remember them ever guaranteeing that it would be shiny, and to tell you the truth, I prefer matte, so I would prefer it not be shiny.

ish420 said:
I really like those concept pictures fusion power posted on post #38. I hope the finals look that sweet.
no offense to fusion_power, but I think that his concepts looked cheap, and I wouldn't want my Pandora looking like that.

-God Ginrai

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back