Pandora Fps

quadomatic said:
Probably the best FPS that could be ported....would be....hmmm...Cube 2 or Nexuiz.
Yeah, Nexuiz would be a good one to port. Good existing online community, Quake 1-based (I think?) engine, and free.

Last edited by a moderator:
icurafu said:
Marathon
Don't know that one...
Warsow
Well... many people like it. Don't know how much it can be tweaked.
Urban Terror
Hell yeah.. would be amazing
quake2 world
boring!
black shades elite
boring!
quetoo
Don't know that one
Nexuiz
See warsow
Crystal Core
Isn't worth the effort. It's not even a real game :rolleyes: and isn't optimized in anyway. It will suck the hell out of the pandora without sense :p
Blood Toll
Don't know that one
AssaultCube
T think this is technically a given ;)
EDM
Must visit this project again. Last time it seemed pretty much abandoned and wasn't really worth a try. Some nice additions to the typical cube-stuff
Tremulous
Don't know if this will be a good thing on the little pandora screen. Some enemies are really really hard to see and will be even harder on a small screen...
The Hunted
Don't know that
nmaFPS
Don't know that
Unreal Tournament
nogo

Additions:
Teeworlds isn't really a fps, but still a wonderfull shooter. should be extremely funny on the pandora.
OpenArena would be quake3arena as a complete free game.
World of padman should be very much possible.

Additions:
Teeworlds isn't really a fps, but still a wonderfull shooter. should be extremely funny on the pandora.
OpenArena would be quake3arena as a complete free game.
World of padman should be very much possible.

ioquake3 is being ported, so all of those things should work right? That's how the standalone versions work.

What about Urban Terror? That has a very large number of players. I had no clue. Dling it right now.

Despite what we voted on for the gui dev, anyone who is porting ioquake3 should get a dev board fast.

Just tried Urban Terror. Its a really good game, and it has a lot of people playing. Plenty of servers with over 25 people, many servers are filled. Once ioquake3 is ported, I think Urban Terror should be a pretty high priority mod. I don't imagine it would be too difficult. Urban Terror uses ioUrbanTerror for standalone, which I assume is the same as ioQuake3 for the most part.

I assume most of the popular stand alone quake 3 mods would go over to Pandora very easily once ioQuake3 is ported, since they all have standalone versions that are based on ioquake3.

The thought of being able to play Urban Terror on Pandora....ooooh baby!

quadomatic said:
icurafu said:
It will be tough because of memory contraints.

Need to squeeze it into a 128MByte space.
Dreamcast managed it with 16MB of ram and 8MB of vram. Quake III original system requirements were 64MB of ram.

Do you have the contacts for the Q3A dev team for the dreamcast. You'll need ppl like that if you want to squeeze Q3A onto 26MB of memory used by the dreamcast port?

Remember that 64MB is recommended, because a PC has virtual memory. If the Pandora has virtual memory, it will not perform well enough to use with games. Also, the pandora does not have video memory, where 8MB is required. So at the very least, a direct port will require 72MB plus a fast pagefile to meet the minimum requirements of a straight port.

Anyway, the Pandora still has heaps of room for Q3A without too much tweaking. Urban Terror is a completely different story. The devs are not contrained by the Q3A minimum system requirements. Years later they have PCs with fat memory chips, so it will need some serious squeezing. I'm not saying it's impossible, I'm sure it will be done.

From the forums. "I have 1ghz, 512mb RAM, Radeon Mobility 9200 or something. Most maps are playable, however Suburbs is absolute shit and I get <6 FPS"

So it looks possible. Urban Terror is one of my favourite mods.

Perhaps someone could do a Descent/Descent II port? The GP2X port is too hard to play due to a lack of a joystick.

Megatog615 said:
Perhaps someone could do a Descent/Descent II port? The GP2X port is too hard to play due to a lack of a joystick.
Descent and Descent II both had their source codes released. Not sure if the games were ported to a mobile platform though.

icurafu said:
In regards to Aleph One - We alraedy have it on the GP2X, but downdcaled from VGA to QVGA. It'll be good to be able to read the console text plus have widescreen now. :)

You just made my morning. Marathon's my favorite oldschool fps (just edging out system shock due to the fact I can actually configure the controls. Pity 'shock is closed scource).

Jeric said:
icurafu said:
In regards to Aleph One - We alraedy have it on the GP2X, but downdcaled from VGA to QVGA. It'll be good to be able to read the console text plus have widescreen now. :)

You just made my morning. Marathon's my favorite oldschool fps (just edging out system shock due to the fact I can actually configure the controls. Pity 'shock is closed scource).

Yeah, I freaked out when you mentioned System Shock. Playing System Shock or System Shock 2 on Pandora would be crazy. Especially since I wasn't able to get System Shock 2 working on XP :(

And since I just recently beat Bioshock and would like to give the oldies a shot.

Not unless the opendark client is finished, and being entierly too optimistic that project's at LEAST two years down the road, and even then you'd have to make an arm port of the engine.

Back