Let's Make Our Own FPS!

-Tj-

There has been a lot of talk of this stuff: Source on Pandora? Rage on Pandora? UE3 on Pandora? Etc. Of course that's not all accurate, but my point is there's a lot of this "can we put this [closed source engine] on Pandora?" stuff going on.

Which begs the question, can't we just, you know... make our own engine for Pandora? :) Surely there are enough competent coders who have ordered or already have their Pandora who'd be able to code something up for our system? I know it'd be a lot of work to do something like this so I know it's kind of a stretch, but there's also a bunch of open source 3D game engines out there... Perhaps we could start with one of those, optimize it for Pandora's average (non-overclocked) specs, then start building/modding?

The way I'm thinking is this. If we can put together a decent enough engine, we could probably get to a point where we could recreate most of the FPS that have been talked about, to a certain degree. I'm not talking spot-on (that'd be impossible), but a reasonable facsimile, much like how modders have recreated levels, weapons, and/or characters for other game engines.

Most of my freelance work is nearing completion now and I would be interested in making assets for something like this after I'm done with it all. It would also help me keep creative outside of work.

Whaddaya guys think? There's a lot more I could write on this subject, but for now I'm just interested in how many people (users and/or developers) would be interested in something like this.

Whaddaya guys think? I've also posted this on the GP32X forums in case I've missed some people. :)

http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?/topic/56497-lets-make-our-own-fps/

Last edited by a moderator:
If we can put together a decent enough engine, we could probably get to a point where we could recreate most of the FPS that have been talked about, to a certain degree. I'm not talking spot-on (that'd be impossible), but a reasonable facsimile, much like how modders have recreated levels, weapons, and/or characters for other game engines.
You're right, we need to make a TF2 mod for (whatever will run on the Pandora).

not too unreasonable an idea, i mean butterman was working on Human Condition

i wonder if he is still going with that...

I love this idea. Unfortunately, I don't have a lot of free time because I'm trying to jumpstart my career.

i also love this idea, except that someone other then me should do it.....so it probably wont happen anytime soon. this whole OMG I HAS IDEA, YOU CODERS AND PROGRAMMERS, GO AT IT NOW! thing never really works, if you have an idea, learn to make it happen, if not, learn to enjoy the hard work put in by all the coders and programmers that the pandora and other open handheld systems have

i also love this idea, except that someone other then me should do it.....so it probably wont happen anytime soon. this whole OMG I HAS IDEA, YOU CODERS AND PROGRAMMERS, GO AT IT NOW! thing never really works, if you have an idea, learn to make it happen, if not, learn to enjoy the hard work put in by all the coders and programmers that the pandora and other open handheld systems have

No it doesn't really work, in fact it rarely works.. it's still a good idea though

Best way to begin would probably be a mod for an existing FPS that runs on linux

ioquake3 comes to mind as Quake models/maps are very popular in other game engines as well

hmz, combined with bosbeetle's idea, play as craig or evildragon and go take revenge on the salespeople from the Chinese factory with a quake shotgun

Learn to code and start writing I would say. More people will jump on board once you have an early version of your engine up and running.

The "I have an idea and others should spend their free time on it" approach never works. This is especially true if the idea is a LOT of work.

hmz, combined with bosbeetle's idea, play as craig or evildragon and go take revenge on the salespeople from the Chinese factory with a quake shotgun
That sounds to be in incredibly poor taste.

Is it difficult to, let's say there's talented narrator and speakers available, do movie-ish ingame sequences? I mean body language, mimic. How do people do animation? I've only made 1 animation so far with a sw that came along with my printer graphics card. I remember it being hours of work getting a hold of how it works and make font appear, rotate and be lighted the way I wanted it to. i take that can be improved with better software?

I don't see anything to gain from a new fps engine. But damn, a good mod with pandora as lead-platform for graphics and suited to it's controls sounds like a great idea.

In a few months quite some engines should be available and partly optimized. Also a lot more pandora's will hopefully be in the wild. That will be the right time to pick the most technically advanced engine and create a community-project around it.

I will once I have more free time I will try and code some crude things. Sorry for putting the adventure story here but Ive learned that it works once I tell an idea it leaves my head (more or less) so I can go on with more important things. (I will keep on working on them but dont expect anything fancy)

I do agree that saying here is an idea now do it doesnt work, but it can inspire.

"All it takes" is a dev to make/port a basic engine supporting gles that loads 3dmax or blender files. Then it could just start with a basic "TAG" game and move onward from there. Enough 3d guys around here to provide content, heck even i could make some stuff. But the first 3 words point out the problem.

"All it takes" is a dev to make/port a basic engine supporting gles that loads 3dmax or blender files. Then it could just start with a basic "TAG" game and move onward from there. Enough 3d guys around here to provide content, heck even i could make some stuff. But the first 3 words point out the problem.

No, finding one dev willing to work on a fps isn't really that problematic in this community. The problem is one dev alone can't do wonders and a showoff-project needs a team that really has (mostly) the same goals.

Back