Pandora Fps

CronoTriggerfan

Website
pixelstopolygons.com
Seeing as this (aside from retro emulation, which was graciously answered by Craigx's video-- thanks!) is my main reason for buying a Pandora, what all can possibly be done? Quake 3 is a great game, but what other good FPS games are open-source and potentially portable to the Pandora? And of those, how many have the ability to do some online fragging? What all would you like to see in terms of Pandora FPS?

Do you mean, the ones that won't work on GP2X already?

Marathon
Warsow
Urban Terror
quake2 world
black shades elite
quetoo
Nexuiz
Crystal Core
Blood Toll
AssaultCube
EDM
Tremulous
The Hunted
nmaFPS
Unreal Tournament

Actually, forget the last one~ And a lot of these will have memory problems, but it is so hard to tell after shifting through forums for 2 year old post about someone who can't run it on their Cyrix 6x86 or whatever.

There's only one FPS you need and that's DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:p

It'll be good if an N64 does become available and play games at a decent speed as we'll then get Goldeneye and Perfect Dark, which are both great single player FPS's.

CronoTriggerfan said:
Saurbraten seems a bit... graphically intensive for Pandora, though, no? :p
I don't think so, maybe the water shader would have to be simplified... Regardless even if a vanilla port does overpower the Pandora, there are tweaks that could be made. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Or we can add some fog to lower the farsight :p

Question: Is Cube2 a full featured FPS like Nexuiz. Or Its more like Cube1 with only one character model and a few weapons?

The screenshot looks great! But I had the same impressions from cube 1. Great Screenshots/Engine/Maps. But I play It not for long. Cause it was boring with only a few Weapons and one character model.

But now I find some Information about the Game Features. And Its sounds good. Not impressive but nice.

- Oldskool fast & intense gameplay (read: similar to Doom 2 / Quake 1).
- Many multiplayer gameplay modes, most in teamplay variants as well: deathmatch, instagib, efficiency, tactics, capture (domination/battlefield style), CTF (capture the flag), coop edit (!).
- Masterserver & ingame server browser.
- Lag-free gameplay experience.
- Two singleplayer modes: DMSP (fight a monster invasion on any DM map), classic SP (progression driven SP like other games)
- 7 weapons tuned for maximum satisfaction: double barrelled shogun, rocket launcher, machine gun, rifle, grenade launcher, pistol, fist.

Source:
http://sauerbraten.org/README.html

Tashi said:
The screenshot looks great! But I had the same impressions from cube 1. Great Screenshots/Engine/Maps. But I play It not for long. Cause it was boring with only a few Weapons and one character model.

But now I find some Information about the Game Features. And Its sounds good. Not impressive but nice.

- Oldskool fast & intense gameplay (read: similar to Doom 2 / Quake 1).
- Many multiplayer gameplay modes, most in teamplay variants as well: deathmatch, instagib, efficiency, tactics, capture (domination/battlefield style), CTF (capture the flag), coop edit (!).
- Masterserver & ingame server browser.
- Lag-free gameplay experience.
- Two singleplayer modes: DMSP (fight a monster invasion on any DM map), classic SP (progression driven SP like other games)
- 7 weapons tuned for maximum satisfaction: double barrelled shogun, rocket launcher, machine gun, rifle, grenade launcher, pistol, fist.

Source:
http://sauerbraten.org/README.html

For me, the biggest Problem on Sauerbraten/Cube 2 is: it has no Bots! So it's not really good if you want to play offline, the Invasion Mode is nice but it can't replace good Bots simulating hot Multiplayer Action. Standard should be the Bots from the UT Series, tough and smart guys! :)

The Engine scales good with the Hardware. I only have a GeForce3 (DX8) so Sauerbraten has no advanced Shaders, no Bump Mapping or DX9 Water Effects but it still looking good enough for a possible Pandora-port. Her a pic of my early experiments with the Editor, a Bridge! :D :

the cube and cube2 engines scale very well with hardware for instance cube2 will run fine with merely a geforce2 w/ 64mb vram but can fully utilise newer cards shaders if they are present

i think if the models were cut down to not support the higher PC resolutions it would work just fine probably even better than on my geforce 2 considering that the SGX has shaders all i have is register combiners the so called NSRs iirc

Julius said:
The single player part of Sauerbraten lacks, but multiplayer is a blast!

Oh and BTW "Blood Frontier" ( http://www.bloodfrontier.com/ ) a spin of project from Sauerbraten/Cube2 now has bots and I *think* they will be back ported to Sauerbraten sooner or later.

It says on the site that their Bots are just drones that can't do much atm.

-God Ginrai

I see real advantages for the Pandora in this space - The powerful CPU and a separate GPU, along with the keyboard and touchscreen / analog sticks. Optionally, Optimally, a USB or Bluetooth keyboard /mouse combo for control.

The P&|A seems to have a huge advantage over any other handheld out there for things like FPS / RTS games, no?

Airplane rides will never be the same.

AireTamStorm said:
Especially with airlines like American, Northwest, and JetBlue now offering in-flight WiFi. Fragging from 30,000 feet above the earth? Kick freakin' ass. :D

God Ginrai said:
-God Ginrai
Good enough for some DM, but yeah they are still WIP. But most of the work is done already.

CronoTriggerfan said:
AireTamStorm said:
Especially with airlines like American, Northwest, and JetBlue now offering in-flight WiFi. Fragging from 30,000 feet above the earth? Kick freakin' ass. :D

In-Flight WiFi??? HOLY CRAP!

Too bad international flights aren't exactly going to be an option for Pandora users if ACTA gets enacted.

Heck, mobile wi-fi (at least in the USA) will likely be possible once the US government auctions of the airspace freed up by the removal of analog signals.

So, how about Nexuiz?

Julius said:
God Ginrai said:
-God Ginrai
Good enough for some DM, but yeah they are still WIP. But most of the work is done already.

What does DM stand for? The only DM I know is Dungeon Master, and that obviously has nothing to do with an FPS.

quadomatic said:
CronoTriggerfan said:
AireTamStorm said:

In-Flight WiFi??? HOLY CRAP!

Too bad international flights aren't exactly going to be an option for Pandora users if ACTA gets enacted.

Heck, mobile wi-fi (at least in the USA) will likely be possible once the US government auctions of the airspace freed up by the removal of analog signals.

So, how about Nexuiz?

ACTA? ?_?

-God Ginrai

Back