Release Pandora elite - Beta

Hideki, that looks awesome.

A slightly cheeky question, and possibly not able, but could it be made to accept the community created missions and add ons from oolite?

Just a thought.
There shall be no community supplied missions, lol

For the reasons Dunny mentioned above and because I want to go my own route with this

otoh, moxie should be happy to know he can now prod at planets on the charts with the touchscreen (not up yet)

That is a shame.

Thanks for the replies.

I look forward to the direction you will take this :)

For me this is a reason for having a pandora! having done extensive work on the programming of missions etc for oolite, the open source version of elite, this for me is an amazing step forward, and anything i can do to move this project along, i would willingly partake...... much reps to this project and creator, milinks

Hihi

Updated to 1.1.0.3 (see top post)

Added touchscreen support to local and galactic charts

Changed scanner so asteroid 'lollipops' appear as orange

Fixed bug in the status/position panel text display routine

Added basic destination planet info in right pane when moving around charts while docked

Last edited by a moderator:
This is excellently excellent. I will now download this update and revel in the luxurious experience of dragging the cursor around the scanner and get immediate info feedback :)

A note for people playing this...

Currently you are not penalised (legally) for attacking the station or attacking non-hostile ships, this is a bug which will be fixed in the next beta, you might want to keep that in mind!

Never really tried much of Elite to be honesy, have downloaded this to try out later after work! Played a little bit of Frontier on the Miggy back in the day, but it ran cripplingly slow so wasn't particularly enjoyable. Thanks as ever for all you hard work in porting these, they're always much appreciated! :) (btw, any more progress on you Amiga emu??)

This is going alongside wordwarvi as one of my favourite new-gen Pandora games .. Well done! Looking forward to future updates.

Again thanks for all your work on this. Runs really well and the thought of the missions, extra ships, etc sounds great. I too never liked the combat in frontier which was a shame as the missions etc would have been enjoyable add ons otherwise.

Again thanks for all your work on this. Runs really well and the thought of the missions, extra ships, etc sounds great. I too never liked the combat in frontier which was a shame as the missions etc would have been enjoyable add ons otherwise.

Did I miss something? I thought I read "There shall be no community supplied missions".

In case you guys who are into Elite didn't know about it, there was recently a total re-write of Elite done for the Oric-1/Atmos computers. You can download it here:

http://1337.defence-force.org/

And you can read more about its development here:

http://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1741

And see a demo of it here:

https://www.youtube.com/embed/kC1cJGLGlxo?feature=oembed

(Ignore the "work in progress" of those videos, the game is done now..)

If you want to run it on your Pandora, get the PandOricutron Oric-1/Atmos emulator, and away you go! :)

EDIT: Here is PandOricutron:

http://apps.open-pandora.org/cgi-bin/viewapp.pl?/Emulator/PandOricutron_108.inf

If you *do* run it, please leave us Oric fans a nice message here:

http://www.oric.org/index.php?page=software&fille=detail&num_log=2212&PHPSESSID=3893b8228ee5c4ac962ca0ff8bfdf667

(The Oric scene is alive, well, and producing wonderful new things all the time .. we could use the encouragement if you like 1337!)

Last edited by a moderator:
Did I miss something? I thought I read "There shall be no community supplied missions".
WTH? why are you holding a massive phallus in your profile picture?

To the above poster, is the beta thread for my release really the place to be promoting yours? Particularly with intrusive embedded Youtube videos rather than just links to them as I used in my actually on topic post...

No new beta today, not too well and my pandora battery has failed and is so slowing things down somewhat...

Sorry to hear about the whole battery thing, you might try firing off an email to Jacquelyn, I'm sure I recall of reading about someone on here recently who got a replacement battery sent from Craig's shop to replace one that had swollen/failed? I ordered 2 myself in the first place, didn't realise how long they normally run for!(I just occasionally swap one out for another just to keep both in occasional use)

Sorry I was taking following quote as indication missions and ships would be added - perhaps misread it.

eheh, I'm pondering adding a few things: (probably to a distinct version so the original is still available)

Autopilot - will pilot you to planet unless attacked using the fastest available methods (torus jump etc.)

Advanced scanner - Show ship type / bounty on viewscreen

Stargates - four or five per galaxy, allowing travel to any other gate in same galaxy

Shipyard - the obvious really

Mission board - frontier style, take package from a to b and get paid etc.

A couple of questions requests if I may:

1. Any chance of adding in saving when not docked - just had to dock at highspeed to try and make my train stop today
  2. Will save files stay compatible with later versions - just want to make sure I don't invest a lot of time to then start again

Thanks

hideki: sorry, didn't mean to rain on your parade .. I just wanted other Elite fans to know that there are other Elites for playing on the Pandora as well .. I apologize for stealing your thunder, my intention was only to participate in the Elite love.

A couple of questions requests if I may:

1. Any chance of adding in saving when not docked - just had to dock at highspeed to try and make my train stop today
  2. Will save files stay compatible with later versions - just want to make sure I don't invest a lot of time to then start again

Thanks
Saving when not docked, unfortunately not

Save files compatible with later versions, absolutely, I don't want to lose my commander either, lol

Reasonably well again now so back on the case, you might notice a slightly newer image on the top of the opening post (although no new .pnd as yet)

Hi

hideki: sorry, didn't mean to rain on your parade .. I just wanted other Elite fans to know that there are other Elites for playing on the Pandora as well .. I apologize for stealing your thunder, my intention was only to participate in the Elite love.
Wasn't that, was more that one of my pet hates is embedded flash content in posts... although that said, the Oric one isn't even for this platform, requires an Oric emulator etc.! you might as well point out that the all time best version of Elite for the Archimedes can be run in pandrpcemu, my last release that was largely ignored...

Never mind anyway, suppose this means I can rename this one 31337 if I attract any Brabeny wrath, lol.

Saving mid-flight is a bad idea, but what about a "quick-save"? Similar to what games like Fire Emblem on the GBA has - You cannot properly save mid-battle, but you can do a "continue later"-save, that allows you to quickly save the state of the game and turn off the unit, and then resume later (and as soon as a game is resumed, the associated save file is deleted). That might be useful.

Back