Release New (Beta) version of Reword

Do you think you could make it possible to limit the number of letter words to use (i.e. make maximum word length an option)? I find it to be impossible myself when it does 8 letter words (though that's mostly because so many of the words are extremely obscure; using the American dictionary, medium difficulty mode).

There were also quite a number of relatively common words missing in the American dictionary. All I can remember is "rains", but I can try to pay more close attention to this and remember some more if it would help.

Anyway, a welcome update, but honestly not as fun as the old version despite the improvements. :(

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, that is sad to hear. :(

re: 'rains' I think it fairly consistently excludes plurals so 'rain' would be there but not 'rains'. If anyone knows another good/full free dictionary file I can use (and can be easily parsed), please let me know ASAP.

Maybe as an interim measure, I can include the old 6 letter dictionary from the previous version (then selectable in the options screen).

Ok, that is sad to hear. :(

re: 'rains' I think it fairly consistently excludes plurals so 'rain' would be there but not 'rains'. If anyone knows another good/full free dictionary file I can use (and can be easily parsed), please let me know ASAP.

Maybe as an interim measure, I can include the old 6 letter dictionary from the previous version (then selectable in the options screen).

You could use dictionary files that come with spellcheckers (e.g. that of LibreOffice), and in many distros you'll find dictionaries in /usr/share/dict/.

Yes, I looked into it last night and started building a reword dictionary from a OED wordlist and used the xdxf dictionaries just to poulate the definitions. So far so good but need to feed more xdxf files through it to populate all the definitions.

re: 'rains' I think it fairly consistently excludes plurals so 'rain' would be there but not 'rains'.

Actually, I'm pretty sure that "rain" is a mass noun, so it doesn't exactly have singular or plural. "Rains" is a form of the verb, "to rain" (e.g. "We'd better be inside when it rains").

I've updated the repo and the OP link about my latest update (0.6.2) which fixes a few little things, adds a big new common dictionary with a combination of UK/US spelling and plurals etc, and the original 6 letter Reword dictionary, and generally tidies up some stuff.

Hope this helps the general game play and people's enjoyment of the game.

Remember, there's the Rewordlist utility available (on github, once I update it later) to create other language dictionaries and versions. There's also the old 6 letter GP2X French dictionary here: http://dl.openhandhelds.org/cgi-bin/gp2x.cgi?0,0,0,0,25,2642 by RogerCageot

Again, any comments or questions, please just ask.

Al

Is it planed to have ither languages supported, or is it just a question of putting some dictionary file somewhere?

Is the for example already a german dictionary?

Is it planed to have ither languages supported, or is it just a question of putting some dictionary file somewhere?

Is the for example already a german dictionary?

Sorry no German dictionary that I know of, but it already supports any Rewordlist generated file format (like the French one mentioned) and simply needs the file placed in the /sdcard/appdata/reword.purplepup/data/pandora/words directory to be included in the options screen. I just tried it again and it does work a treat, although I'm lost with non English words.

I don't plan to source or initiate any new dictionaries myself, but if anyone can't use the Rewordlist util and finds and/or send me a dictionary in xdxf or straight wordlist format (with or without definitions), I can run it through the Rewordlist utility (with any supplied inclusion and exclusion lists too) and post the result.

Al

Back