Pandora console?

Amnykon

Looking at the Ouya, I defiantly have my questions about it. They say that the console is open, but it still requires it to be rooted and probably has DRM built into it. To me it sounds like they have a good right idea, but that they are going the wrong direction with it. I don't think they have showed their true colors yet, but from what I heard, I disagree with some of their core fundamentals.

With a good community such as this one, we could develop a better console that is completely open. Would anyone be interested in a Pandora console? I know a Linux computer can be connected to a TV and have similar results, but I think this falls short of the potential. Is this something the OPT would like to pursue? If so, what would we want in the console?

I would if...

• it had better "TV-out" than the current Pandora itself can do.
  • There was a way to easily sync save data between console and handheld.

Otherwise I just want a TV cable and perhaps a nifty wizard that asked you to map a USB pad to the Pandora gaming controls when you first plugged it in.

So what would differentiate the Pandora console from a linux box connected to a TV via HDMI with a USB/Bluetooth joystick attached?

So what would differentiate the Pandora console from a linux box connected to a TV via HDMI with a USB/Bluetooth joystick attached?

Not a lot, I suspect. Except perhaps the power footprint, and a developer focus on fine-tuning software for it.

An ever-so-slightly-more-powerful Raspberry Pi would pretty much nail it. Add a couple of iControlPads and you have perfection.

An ever-so-slightly-more-powerful Raspberry Pi would pretty much nail it. Add a couple of iControlPads and you have perfection.
Damn... yeah that's what was missing - The controls would be ICP2s...(Or a Pandora?) :D

And also a linux box would be fine... but I wouldn't buy it unless it would let me pop the same SD card in and play the same PND software... and/or the aforementioned save-sync-ing...

I wouldn't have thought porting the PND system would be too difficult. Could even make a custom build of the mini menu to support the screen resolution too :p

http://www.armkits.c...devkit8500d.asp

It's pretty close hardware wise to the current 1 GHz Pandora. Just get this for $149.. put it in a case.. Can most likely just work with the current Pandrora Angstrom install, but may need some tweaks for keyboard map..etc

EDIT: hmm just noticed they have a minimum order of 5 units..

but there are other similar development boards out there that can do the same thing.. in fact there are Tegra 3 boards out there like what the Ouya is using..

Last edited by a moderator:
Has anyone seriously considered making PandoraOS a proper linux distro for ARM-based consoles, instead of being entirely focused on the single handheld product

With enough devs backing it, it could end up as the OS for non-smartphone nerd entertainment...

On an interesting side note, a google.de search for "arm cortex a8 console" shows the Pandora wikipedia entry in 1st place, general arm in second and the Apple iPod touch in third. Openpandora > Apple B)

Has anyone seriously considered making PandoraOS a proper linux distro for ARM-based consoles, instead of being entirely focused on the single handheld product

With enough devs backing it, it could end up as the OS for non-smartphone nerd entertainment...
That's angstrom. (and it have been for the last 10 years)

It never stopped the company to try doing their own (meego, android, etc)

That's angstrom. (and it have been for the last 10 years)

angstrom is closer to real linux than what I was thinking of.

just as ubuntu is debian with a frilly hat on, there could be an angstrom fine-tuned for set-top box work (android compatibility layer? XBMC? Universal software launcher? TV-remote-freindly UI?)

^ If you want any of that, you better start working on it..

Not really- The standard PandoraOS would the job fine. It would need tweaking to better integrate external controllers (USB bluetooth) but aside from that you can boot to minimenu to launch games and boot to full desktop if you wanted with Keyboard and mouse plugged in...

Also these features of USB controller integration would benefit the TV-out experience for the Pandora itself...

The origen 4 quad has high potential.

http://liliputing.com/2012/08/origen-4-quad-a-development-board-with-samsung-exynos-4412.html

It has a SD port, I would prefer two...

ethernet port.

1.4 GHz quad core (about 6 GHz, though there is loss I did not calculate for multi-core processors).

with the optional sound card, it is $200.

The optional wifi/bluetooth card is a requirement.

With a case and the wifi/bluetooth card, the price will be about $300.

Add pandoraOS and ICP's it should be about perfect.

Back