Homebrew Home Console

jbrodack

gp2x fan
Website
jbrodack.googlepages.com
I've been seeing homebrew handheld consoles take off but what about a homebrew home console? I have a wii with homebrew channel installed and its cool but I think a dedicated console would be better. Does anyone else agree? I've seen stuff like uzebox but I'd rather see something with more modern hardware.

Has this been tried before and failed? Any thoughts?

jbrodack said:
I've been seeing homebrew handheld consoles take off but what about a homebrew home console? I have a wii with homebrew channel installed and its cool but I think a dedicated console would be better. Does anyone else agree? I've seen stuff like uzebox but I'd rather see something with more modern hardware.

Get a PC (can be a compact consoley thing if you want, mini-ITX, Nettop, etc.).
Install hombrew software.
Connect gamepads to PC.
Connect PC to TV.
Done.

That's why there is little interest in a homebrew console.

Last edited by a moderator:
What surt said.

You can even use it as a file server, etc.
The problem is that for some reason, PC developers haven't realized you can just plug gamepads into a PC and play splitscreen exactly like a console.

Then you can go ahead and write whatever software you like in any language, using the giant repository of x86 / Linux dev tools.
I wrote a music player for my PC. Yay.

So that's the problem: The only difference between commercial PCs and commercials consoles is how locked-down they are, and what architecture their CPUs are.
So when you move to homebrew, there is no difference whatsoever.

Actually reflecting on that I figured that Windows is way better then a PS3 or a 360. It's more open since you can run your own code for it. So I installed windows after around 10 years of all linux. Well, mostly for the drivers to nvidia's 3d vision, but still as a game console windows is ok.

surt said:
jbrodack said:

Connect gamepads to PC.
Connect PC to TV.
Done.

While that is true its still not quite the same as a plug and play console experience. Gamepad support among pc games and emulators isn't consistent for instance. Having to switch between the computer keyboard and the gamepads could get annoying.

Something with a simplified interface that could work entirely with a gamepad would be nice. Maybe it would be a bit redundant but it was something I was thinking about and was curious why it hadn't been done.

Well, there's this thing... http://www.letcool.net/display/N200-W.shtml

It's basically the Letcool N350JP handheld but in console form. While the Letcool hasn't really been hacked yet, the dev that ported Linux to the Dingoo, Booboo, is working on this one as well. So if the handheld gets hacked then I would think the same could be done to this.

jbrodack said:
surt said:
jbrodack said:

Connect gamepads to PC.
Connect PC to TV.
Done.

While that is true its still not quite the same as a plug and play console experience. Gamepad support among pc games and emulators isn't consistent for instance. Having to switch between the computer keyboard and the gamepads could get annoying.

Something with a simplified interface that could work entirely with a gamepad would be nice. Maybe it would be a bit redundant but it was something I was thinking about and was curious why it hadn't been done.

There are interfaces for that already. I'd link to them, but I can't remember the names and can't be arsed to google :p

Orion4874 said:

It's basically the Letcool N350JP handheld but in console form. While the Letcool hasn't really been hacked yet, the dev that ported Linux to the Dingoo, Booboo, is working on this one as well. So if the handheld gets hacked then I would think the same could be done to this.

Interesting! HDMI out?

Orion4874 said:
While the Letcool hasn't really been hacked yet, the dev that ported Linux to the Dingoo, Booboo, is working on this one as well.
What? I thought he disappeared.

Reo said:
Orion4874 said:
While the Letcool hasn't really been hacked yet, the dev that ported Linux to the Dingoo, Booboo, is working on this one as well.
What? I thought he disappeared.

According to Zear over at Dingoonity he's hard at work on this.

Cancel that, I misread the original post. Booboo is not involved in this. But keep your eye on the Letcool thread over there for additional news.

Nova said:
Orion4874 said:

Interesting! HDMI out?

That would be nice but I can't find any other info or pics. I can't tell if it's even released yet. But it does mention 720p video output.

Thanks for the info guys. The letcool itself looks pretty interesting but the home version is even cheaper. I knew there had to be some demand for something like this since the gp2x had tv out and everyone like having that feature plus some of the handheld consoles have been having tv out. The only thing was being able to connect 2 controller to it which the letcool devices seem to have for both versions.

There doesn't seem to be all that much information about these available though and not too many shops have them. Still, could be cool if it gets a decent amount of homebrew support. Hope to hear some more info on these and hopefully see some video too.

Also, it include standard a/v cables so hdmi seems unlikely.

Orion4874 said:
Nova said:
Orion4874 said:

Interesting! HDMI out?

That would be nice but I can't find any other info or pics. I can't tell if it's even released yet. But it does mention 720p video output.

Damn. I'd be very much in if it had that.

jbrodack said:
surt said:
jbrodack said:

Connect gamepads to PC.
Connect PC to TV.
Done.

Agreed. This is what I'm thinking of... And specialized hardware in addition, like a good strong GPU or two, nice big HDD,and some sort of marketplace like XBL/Steam/PSN etc., along with multiplayer and a more complex developer mode.

That letcool TV unit looks pretty cool. If anyone stumbles upon any more information on those, please link to it.

I certainly would use it.

I've inquired with letcool as to the possibility of obtaining one to review for openXile

Nova said:
I certainly would use it.

I've inquired with letcool as to the possibility of obtaining one to review for openXile

Here's hoping they respond Nova, it definately has peaked my interest. Even some additional info on this thing, like availability, would be nice.

Back