Pandora Can Run...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fishbong said:
...which has how much to do with porting the game to a different architecture?
Why do you have to make your points in a way that is completely irrelevant to the topic at hand? Maybe because they are irrelevant?

I am replying to those who act like they know, with some sort of authority. They acted like they didn't understand the Original Posters confusion, when they were working the "garbage-in-garbage-out" model. You seem to support the detrimental/dishonest/uneducated posts. Like I said ALREADY they got the big picture right but totally fucked up the details... the reason why. If you can't understand why (you think) having your facts straight isn't important *when you act as someone who knows*, then there isn't much I can do for you. You're just either intellectually dishonest or below the bell curve.

Last edited by a moderator:
i was still arguing on the point of "i can mod HL therefore why cant it be played on the Pandora". and as far as a mod goes, i figured it was something basic like a weapons patch rather than an entire new version of the game. i dont know where this post became about there being any source code being released but i think the vast majority of us were sticking to the original question and subsequent argument of "can we play it? why cant we play it? isnt it open software?" to which all the answers, at least on a fundamental level of portability to the Pandora, are No.

'BackAssward' said:
'Monk' said:
At the bare minimum, modding a game is modifying it - that can be as little as changing the sprite for a single item (say, a wall panel) or it can be as much as completely replacing all of the artistic elements of a game before you even get to code modification...

To be honest, we weren't talking about modifying it in general, we were talking about "mods". If we want to be honest in the HL vernacular, a mod is exactly as I presented it (and we want to be accurate in the language of the subject we are talking). Also, it was stated that "mods don't require source code", using "don't" not "don't always"... so a point of fact is made there, that mod don't require source code, not that they don't "always". Back to basics, we are talking HL.

This turns out, it seems, to be inaccurate. Observe:

'wiimario' said:
I have a mod for half life so I think that the source code was just released

'wiimario' said:
I what is a source code I'm doing a mod for quake 2

The OP is talking from the point of view of someone who has A MOD for Half-Life and is modifying Quake 2 themselves. I think it is quite likely that they are not modifying the Quake 2 code, though that is an assumption. So the OP is talking much more generically about mods to games, or at least games based on id game engines rather than only Half Life games. They specifically aeem to indicate that as they are producing a mod for Quake 2 they do not understand what more is needed for Half Life to be Pandora-portable. The missing component is, of course, the source code for Half Life.

Consider the following questions with yes/no answers only:

Do you need the source code to make a mod using id game engines? No.

Do you need the source code to port a game to the Pandora (i.e. not running under emulation)? Yes

The (full, complete, not partial) source code is, in a rather simple way, not REQUIRED to mod a game or to make a "Mod" of an id game such as the OP has experience of but IS required to make a port to the Pandora.

'BackAssward' said:
HL mods so far are code modifications (9 years later and counting).

Really? ALL HL mods are source code mods? Even way back to the original Sven Co-op back in 1999? (two single player maps and the game configured to allow NPCs in the game). Impressive. There's a LOT of HalfLife mods out there for such a sweeping statement I'd have thought!

http://www.moddb.com/games/half-life/mods

alone appears to list 365 mods. Darned impressive community if you ask me!

Monk said:
'BackAssward' said:
'Monk' said:
At the bare minimum, modding a game is modifying it - that can be as little as changing the sprite for a single item (say, a wall panel) or it can be as much as completely replacing all of the artistic elements of a game before you even get to code modification...

To be honest, we weren't talking about modifying it in general, we were talking about "mods". If we want to be honest in the HL vernacular, a mod is exactly as I presented it (and we want to be accurate in the language of the subject we are talking). Also, it was stated that "mods don't require source code", using "don't" not "don't always"... so a point of fact is made there, that mod don't require source code, not that they don't "always". Back to basics, we are talking HL.

This turns out, it seems, to be inaccurate. Observe:

'wiimario' said:
I have a mod for half life so I think that the source code was just released

'wiimario' said:
I what is a source code I'm doing a mod for quake 2

The OP is talking from the point of view of someone who has A MOD for Half-Life and is modifying Quake 2 themselves. I think it is quite likely that they are not modifying the Quake 2 code, though that is an assumption. So the OP is talking much more generically about mods to games, or at least games based on id game engines rather than only Half Life games. They specifically aeem to indicate that as they are producing a mod for Quake 2 they do not understand what more is needed for Half Life to be Pandora-portable. The missing component is, of course, the source code for Half Life.

Consider the following questions with yes/no answers only:

Do you need the source code to make a mod using id game engines? No.

Do you need the source code to port a game to the Pandora (i.e. not running under emulation)? Yes

The (full, complete, not partial) source code is, in a rather simple way, not REQUIRED to mod a game or to make a "Mod" of an id game such as the OP has experience of but IS required to make a port to the Pandora.

'BackAssward' said:
HL mods so far are code modifications (9 years later and counting).

Really? ALL HL mods are source code mods? Even way back to the original Sven Co-op back in 1999? (two single player maps and the game configured to allow NPCs in the game). Impressive. There's a LOT of HalfLife mods out there for such a sweeping statement I'd have thought!

http://www.moddb.com/games/half-life/mods]http://www.moddb.com/games/half-life/mods[/url]

alone appears to list 365 mods. Darned impressive community if you ask me!
No one in any HL community considers a new map a mod (it's dishonest to even suggest that). A mod is a modification to how it works (a map is an addition to the available gameplay, not a mod). Even the developers wouldn't consider that a mod, and only an ass would argue as such.

wiimario clearly has a language issue, but also indicated knowledge of source code. There is a partial HL source code available (partial only to those who know it is partial) a fact that many here didn't know, denied, and acted arrogant about. It was said that no source was available, that is arrogant to say when you are wrong. The poster has a reason to be confused with HL availability based on the posts here, and only an ass would support that confusion, and deny the reason.

Ass.

I'm not sure how HL works, but for Quake I, (and later Quakes, I think), the game logic was written in a scripting language called "QuakeC" (whereas the game engine itself was coded in regular C/C++) - a little googling suggests that HL uses a language that has evolved from QC

ID released the source to all the logic QuakeC bits (since you could modify that to modify the gameplay) long before they released the source for the proper engine (which you needed to port the game to other platforms, or add features not supported by QuakeC)

Likewise, I presume, all the QC guts for HL are available, for modders to play with, but not the actual engine code.

benjymous said:
I'm not sure how HL works, but for Quake I, (and later Quakes, I think), the game logic was written in a scripting language called "QuakeC" (whereas the game engine itself was coded in regular C/C++) - a little googling suggests that HL uses a language that has evolved from QC

ID released the source to all the logic QuakeC bits (since you could modify that to modify the gameplay) long before they released the source for the proper engine (which you needed to port the game to other platforms, or add features not supported by QuakeC)

Likewise, I presume, all the QC guts for HL are available, for modders to play with, but not the actual engine code.

You are probably right, and I tried to mention it a few times (maybe not as technical as you). I can modify all the monsters, weapons, (and create new ones). Compile the hl.dll and client.dll, but the hl.exe isn't part of what I have. We have entirely new .cpp and .h files that compile into our binaries, but I am sure I couldn't create an entirely new copy of HL (or the hl.exe) if I wanted to.

I tried to say this earlier.

'BackAssward' said:
No one in any HL community considers a new map a mod (it's dishonest to even suggest that). A mod is a modification to how it works (a map is an addition to the available gameplay, not a mod). Even the developers wouldn't consider that a mod, and only an ass would argue as such.
I just searched google on "half life mod" mate, I didn't make the HalfLife sites or invent modding OR say that just a map is a mod (though clearly it IS a modification of the original game).
It was said that no source was available,

Was it? Quote please. It seems to me that you're not being any more accurate than those who say you need the source to HalfLife to port it, and that the HalfLife source has not been released.

Ass.

It's you that signed off with that mate, not me.

Request. Don't call me dishonest, please. It seriously riles me on a very deep level.

Monk said:
'BackAssward' said:
...mods don't require source code. They're just mods. Trust us - there's no source. You're not going to see HalfLife unless someone gets Valve themselves to port it.

It's interesting that you think my posts were directed at you. Some sort of issue, a professional might say. You may also want to check my references before you call me out on them. Also, what rises you up is in no way a concern of mine. You mean nothing to anyone else online, ass, ass, ass (was that enough to rile you up? grow some balls Nacie)) Dishonest, liar, poster who makes posts based on feeling not intelligence. Knee jerk poster with no intellectual honesty.

As for a rely to your posts, you must have skipped my posts. I have already responded (maybe you are too dumb to see that). More intellectual attacks, you must be reeling :p.

You're still incorrect about mods REQUIRING source code. They don't, not at all. You could make a large single-player campaign that just uses new character models, new scripting, new maps, etc. Any well-designed game is programmed in such a way that this is so. Otherwise, all of the artistic people on the development team would also need to know how to code in order to do their work and test it out. I'm assuming HalfLife is this way as well. As I did, some people were probably replying to "I'm programming a mod, so the source code must have been released" from this sort of level. Games like Neverwinter Nights allow you to make an entire new campaign without TOUCHING the source, as all of the game data is stored in various modules and script files that are totally separated from the source and engine.

Also, what you need to port a game is the source for the engine. This is surely not available. (If it was, you'd be able to recompile hl.exe, for example.) You are given an API which you use to make the engine do things, but you don't have the source for it. The engine source is what is needed for someone to port it. I think it's somewhat implied that this is what people mean when they say that there's no "source". Source code is only useful in this context when it allows us to port the game. I feel like you bitching out people who said that there is no source is somewhat unfounded, because you're removing "there's no source" from the context of the question.

EDIT: By the way BackAssward, that post of mine you're quoting was directed at the OP, not you. I didn't realize there was a second page when I replied (and so didn't tailor it to the posts that were there).

Vorporeal said:
You're still incorrect about mods REQUIRING source code. They don't, not at all. You could make a large single-player campaign that just uses new character models, new scripting, new maps, etc. Any well-designed game is programmed in such a way that this is so. Otherwise, all of the artistic people on the development team would also need to know how to code in order to do their work and test it out. I'm assuming HalfLife is this way as well. As I did, some people were probably replying to "I'm programming a mod, so the source code must have been released" from this sort of level. Games like Neverwinter Nights allow you to make an entire new campaign without TOUCHING the source, as all of the game data is stored in various modules and script files that are totally separated from the source and engine.

Also, what you need to port a game is the source for the engine. This is surely not available. (If it was, you'd be able to recompile hl.exe, for example.) You are given an API which you use to make the engine do things, but you don't have the source for it. The engine source is what is needed for someone to port it. I think it's somewhat implied that this is what people mean when they say that there's no "source". Source code is only useful in this context when it allows us to port the game. I feel like you bitching out people who said that there is no source is somewhat unfounded, because you're removing "there's no source" from the context of the question.

EDIT: By the way BackAssward, that post of mine you're quoting was directed at the OP, not you. I didn't realize there was a second page when I replied (and so didn't tailor it to the posts that were there).

I never said mods required code modifications. I said all HL mods I knew of (and HL2) mods *were* code modifications. That in this context, those talking of mods didn't know what they were talking about.

You also said emphatically that the HL source wasn't released (we can argue semantics all you want, that was your point). And you were wrong. That a mod (well, over generalizing here) didn't need source code. That it was "just a mod".

Man, I don't see why people can't admit what they posted was categorically wrong. Saying there is no source code, as an assumption, without checking it out, is a dishonest post. Regardless of how much source code there is (and there is enough for some to think there is all of it). To post as if *you know wtf you are talking about* when you are making assumptions out your ass... no, no, no... you cannot defend that without lying, being dishonest, or just protecting your ego.

You obviously missed something in my post. CONTEXT. It's quite important in understanding what people say. If we're talking about the portability of HL, by saying there's no source, what you're supposed to get out is that the code required to port the game is not available. Whether there's some stuff available to write a mod with is unimportant.

Vorporeal said:
You obviously missed something in my post. CONTEXT. It's quite important in understanding what people say. If we're talking about the portability of HL, by saying there's no source, what you're supposed to get out is that the code required to port the game is not available. Whether there's some stuff available to write a mod with is unimportant.

That does not give you an excuse to lie about what you know. You *lied* about what you know.
Vorporeal said:
...mods don't require source code. They're just mods. Trust us - there's no source....

That was a blanket statement about mods, and about source code. Neither were right (and lets not get into semantics, the statement was clear.) Let me repeat "no" source code". Mods don't require them.

Absolutely wrong on both points, made like you were an authority on it. If mods don't require it, then no mod does (logic).

And "no source" means "none", which is also an assumption based falsehood that you wont own up to.

PoisonedV said:
looks at us fighting on the internet.
about half life mods.

As much as we've had our disagreements. I am arguing about people being honest to themselves and the rest of us. HL has become secondary.

You're being a bitch over pure language. I'm discussing the nature of conversation and implication. You're the one being totally unnecessary in the name of being right.

_cute_kitten.jpg

Aww, look at that kitten. That kitten is so cute! What do you think, is this kitten cute, or what?

Vorporeal said:
You're being a bitch over pure language. I'm discussing the nature of conversation and implication. You're the one being totally unnecessary in the name of being right.

I'm talking about intent in one's words. You were categorically wrong, but pursue this because you must have the last words. You assumed much, can't admit it, and pursue some more. You didn't know what the hell the poster meant when he talked of source code (sdk), you posted as if you we some sort of authority (and were wrong). And now you justify it with semantics and projection.

You responded to a side question, not the topic one, yet you act like I am the one off topic. Like I'm the one responding to the off topic matters. Must be nice to live in your world.

Edit: For some reason, I feel I am posting in Jaun-Claud Van-Damn's voice (not a good thing to project). Could fix the english, just too drunk and tired to humor the forum basement dwellers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back