Can The Pandora Handle Yo Frankie?

rohezal

Advanced Member
yofrankie10.jpg

Yo Frankie is a blender based 3d jump and run and looks quite nice. Can it run on the pandora?

http://www.yofrankie.org/download/

Doubt so, but perhaps tuning down some of the effects and lowering textures and all that can be done to optimize it, yes perhaps.

The question isn't will it run, but rather, will it blend?
:lol:
I think the Pandora is capable of running it nicely so long as it's recompiled for ARM and doesn't rely on any unsupported libraries, etc.

Have you seen the 3D renders and such that the Pandora can pull out? They were early days as well!
I say it could be possible. If Doom3 (theoretically) is playable then this Yo Frankie could be too..
It does not look like much for than an xbox(orig) style game and I'm sure if it was compiled and optimised for the Panda it should be fine.. This is just a guess from an image.. Any details about the game?

Cube 2 looks higher res and that has the possibility of running..

The timeconsuming problem will be the translation to ogles.

There were two versions of Yo Frankie released. One used the Crystal Space game engine and the other used Blenders Game Engine. I'm not sure about Crystal Space on arm processors but Blenders Game Engine is still going to be a while before we see it on our pandoras.

http://www.sio2interactive.com/SIO2_Free_Open_Source_3D_Game_Engine_for_iPhone_and_iPod_Touch/SIO2_Free_Open_Source_3D_Game_Engine_for_iPhone_and_iPod_Touch.html

Here is an open-source 3d engine for the iphone, that already supports opengles an is based on blender, as I understand it.
Maybe a dev would like to take a look.

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like fun though!
How could you not like an evil looking little ratmolepossumhamsterthingy??
Whats the aim of the game?
yo-frankie-2-400x300.jpg

Just tried it on my PC, which has a GeForce 6200 (64MB of onboard RAM). With graphics on the lowest setting it was too choppy to feel worth playing, when in one of the levels.

My video card is terrible by PC standards, but quite a bit more powerful than an SGX535 at 110MHz. However, I can't for the life of me determine why it ran so poorly, when nothing rendered with graphics on low looked remarkably better than things I had seen on a GeForce 1 10 years ago. I could be vastly out of touch though, since I haven't played a current PC or console game in years.

Also, the analog control sucked :/ So did the music, I'm afraid. Just my opinion, of course.

For what it's worth, I only tried the Blender Game Engine version, so maybe the Crystal Space one is faster.

I read the title a little wrong. In my head I was like "What the hell is my frankie?"

I know there is an OpenGL wrapper for OGLES out there now, it could be possible if the API is used properly in the original Blender game engine player .. but I doubt we'll get it any time soon. Will take some work to get a player that will run *.blend games on the Pandora, and when it happens I bet we'll see more interesting games than Yo Frankie .. I played it a few times, it gets boring fast. Fun to show my 3 year old how much damage a squirrel can do to a sheep, though ..

Butterman said:
mcobit said:
http://www.sio2inter...iPod_Touch.html

Here is an open-source 3d engine for the iphone, that already supports opengles an is based on blender, as I understand it.
Maybe a dev would like to take a look.

Yeah, it's open source if you pay $120. :-/

You can download it for free, you only have to purchase the gamesamples. Scroll down on the Downloads-page.

Last edited by a moderator:
ran it on my PC with a Radeon X1900XT. I got like 2 fps ingame while looking at graphics i would expect from a Dreamcast. If this runs well on a Pandora then a PS2 emu will too.

Back