Overclocking And Overvolting

Vitel said:
60, I guess.

The worlds first 1Ghz Pandora? Wow.

Has anyone found out what sort of battery (worst case) we will get with 800Mhz?

PS: Mine runs Mupen stable at 850, but crashes at 860. I've only done a short test as I seem to get very good performance at 800, which hopefully won't b0rf the CPU.... :eek:

Last edited by a moderator:
^ Regular overclocking is no problem, cause it's at OPP3. Btw, urjaman's Pandora was the first retail Pandora to hit 1000MHz ;)

this is sweet. Do you think this will ever be officially supported in a hotfix?

mali said:
^ Does your kernel allow selection of all available voltage values? Which Vsel did you use for your 1050MHz?

edit:
Some info from Droid/Milestone
Code:
                     [max_vsel]
[frequ.] [stable] [possibly unstable] [probably unstable]
            >=                                <=
   550      56 (original setup)      
   800      48          46 .. 44              42
   1000     60          58 .. 56              54
   1100     64          62 .. 60              58
*  1200     76          74 .. 70              68
*  1330                   84

*: Always unstable in some CPU's! Will damage CPU on prolonged use.
According to OMAP3430 datasheet, max_vsel up to 66 should be acceptable.
Above 80 will certainly severly damage the CPU on long-term scale.
The most appropriate and stable settings seem to be
either 800 MHz or 1000 MHz at max_vsel of 56 to 60.
Vcore=Vsel*12.5+600

I personally run my Milestone at 1000Mhz/60vsel and it runs flawless. It's a massive difference over 550Mhz (clearly!) but doesnt effect the battery life all that much imo, but it does autoscale anywhere from 125Mhz to 1000Mhz depending on load. I would assume the Pandora would be similar in overclock-ability.

1200Mhz was also fine, required more juice but no issues and again, battery life wasnt drastically reduced.

A little extra juice isnt going to kill the Pandora overnight, it probably will reduce the CPU's life time but I expect, even with overclocking, that would out live your personal use of the system.

is it possible to make a gui for this? maybe just a bash script? how would I go about building my kernel/applying the patch?

here's urjamans patch btw:
http://bugs.openpandora.org/index.php?getfile=44

Vitel said:
Nope, because overvolting voids your warranty.
It's technically not overvolting since it's already undervolted.

Jdbye said:
Vitel said:
OPP3 is *standard* voltage, not undervolted. OPP5 is available as a kind of "overdrive", which technically makes it overvolting.
It's like your car: standard speed is 80KM/h. It's designed so you can go faster, and the manufacturer isn't going to stop you, but that doesn't mean you can talk your way out of a ticket when you're pulled over for 50 over the limit.

WizardStan said:
Jdbye said:
Vitel said:
OPP3 is *standard* voltage, not undervolted. OPP5 is available as a kind of "overdrive", which technically makes it overvolting.
It's like your car: standard speed is 80KM/h. It's designed so you can go faster, and the manufacturer isn't going to stop you, but that doesn't mean you can talk your way out of a ticket when you're pulled over for 50 over the limit.
Someone mentioned it was designed to run at 600mhz at OPP5 earlier in this topic, I was going based on that, so sorry if I'm wrong. Though, is it safe to run it at 1ghz at OPP5? I'm tempted to try it out, and VisualBoyAdvance won't run Golden Sun at fullspeed in the world map even at 850mhz, Mupen64Plus could have use for higher overclocking too.

Jdbye said:
Someone mentioned it was designed to run at 600mhz at OPP5 earlier in this topic
That's the overdrive. TI officially rates it for 500Mhz at OOP3, and if you're feeling bold, 600Mhz at OPP5 with the understanding that this will cause damage to the CPU. Standard is to run it at 500Mhz in OPP3.

Jdbye said:
Though, is it safe to run it at 1ghz at OPP5? I'm tempted to try it out
Define safe. Texas Instruments says that anything over 500Mhz at OPP3 is out of spec and can therefore be considered "unsafe", but I don't think there's anyone who hasn't hit at least 700Mhz without a problem. Increasing the voltage to OPP5 will definitely reduce the life of the CPU drastically (depending on how you measure it) but that's a problem for years down the road, and shouldn't (grain of salt, IANAL and all that) cause it to die just by trying it. The typical worst case scenario is that it just crashes, you have to restart, and it reboots at standard voltage with standard clock speed, and you remember not to go that high again.
The real worst case is that volting to OPP5 and increasing the clockspeed increases the heat being given off enough that some connection somewhere gets just that little bit too hot and the whole thing dies. This is probably very unlikely, but the possibility of it is the reason OPT went off about overvolting voiding the warranty.

WizardStan said:
Jdbye said:
Someone mentioned it was designed to run at 600mhz at OPP5 earlier in this topic
That's the overdrive. TI officially rates it for 500Mhz at OOP3, and if you're feeling bold, 600Mhz at OPP5 with the understanding that this will cause damage to the CPU. Standard is to run it at 500Mhz in OPP3.

Jdbye said:
Though, is it safe to run it at 1ghz at OPP5? I'm tempted to try it out
Define safe. Texas Instruments says that anything over 500Mhz at OPP3 is out of spec and can therefore be considered "unsafe", but I don't think there's anyone who hasn't hit at least 700Mhz without a problem. Increasing the voltage to OPP5 will definitely reduce the life of the CPU drastically (depending on how you measure it) but that's a problem for years down the road, and shouldn't (grain of salt, IANAL and all that) cause it to die just by trying it. The typical worst case scenario is that it just crashes, you have to restart, and it reboots at standard voltage with standard clock speed, and you remember not to go that high again.
The real worst case is that volting to OPP5 and increasing the clockspeed increases the heat being given off enough that some connection somewhere gets just that little bit too hot and the whole thing dies. This is probably very unlikely, but the possibility of it is the reason OPT went off about overvolting voiding the warranty.
The impression I got was that OPP5 did more than just make it get a bit hotter - it actually causes it to degrade faster, like over volting a light bulb, or charging a battery too fast. Not the same as a cpu which just crashes if it gets too hot and is probably fine once it is cool again.

Actually OPP5 is not a single voltage, it's a range of voltages. Overclocking to 1GHz and testing till the lowest stable voltage is found might be relatively safe in the end if the respective CPU is of good quality.
Dynamight's experience with his Milestone should give a good indication what to expect. Going from vsel50 to vsel60 means an increase of 0.05V above stock voltage. People with "bad" CPUs might need more juice and it could get tricky, though.

edit:
According to the datasheet OPP5 is 1.2825V to 1.4175V

The patch sets voltage like this
Code:
OPP Volts VSEL
1   0.975 30
2   1.05  36
3   1.20  48
4   1.27  54
5   1.35  60
Or closest possible to up if it didnt match the 12.5mV scale exactly. Those values were http://processors.wiki.ti.com/index.php/OMAP3530_Power_Estimation_Spreadsheet <-there :p

And OPP according to this logic:
default=1
if >125Mhz then 2
if >250Mhz then 3
if >600Mhz then 4
if >720Mhz then 5

EDIT: Added VSEL to the table

please define: definitely reduce the life of the CPU drastically

we aren't talking "the smell of burning silicon in the morning" level reductions here aren't we?
could the system in theory be set up to burn itself up? like old athlons and pentiums with a crapy fan?
how long is the life of the cpu? if it's 20 years i don't care for a 90% reduction in life

has anyone killed an omap just by using unsupported software settings (pics or it didn't hapen)?

Yannick said:
please define: definitely reduce the life of the CPU drastically

we aren't talking "the smell of burning silicon in the morning" level reductions here aren't we?
could the system in theory be set up to burn itself up? like old athlons and pentiums with a crapy fan?
how long is the life of the cpu? if it's 20 years i don't care for a 90% reduction in life

has anyone killed an omap just by using unsupported software settings (pics or it didn't hapen)?
I dont know about how much the speed (being over 600) changes things, but at OPP5/600Mhz vs OPP3/500Mhz it means a drop from 100Khours (11 years) to 50K (6 years) of device life (continuosly at OPP5), or to 44K (5 years) with no restrictions of OPP levels. Also, you can still have your total 100Khours if you're operating across all OPPs and keeping time spent at OPP5 to less than 23Khours (2.62years). But nobody has specified how much worse things are when running at OPP5/1000Mhz or so because it according to TI it might not even work at all :p

The power chip has the ability to bump the voltage to 1.5V (or 1.45V, cant recall) over the OPP5 nominal of 1.35V (max 1.4175) (at OPP5),
but I doubt that will do any immediate damage, as absolute maximum is 1.6V, still I wont say its impossible.

urjaman said:
I dont know about how much the speed (being over 600) changes things, but at OPP5/600Mhz vs OPP3/500Mhz it means a drop from 100Khours (11 years) to 50K (6 years) of device life (continuosly at OPP5), or to 44K (5 years) with no restrictions of OPP levels. Also, you can still have your total 100Khours if you're operating across all OPPs and keeping time spent at OPP5 to less than 23Khours (2.62years). But nobody has specified how much worse things are when running at OPP5/1000Mhz or so because it according to TI it might not even work at all :p

The power chip has the ability to bump the voltage to 1.5V (or 1.45V, cant recall) over the OPP5 nominal of 1.35V (max 1.4175) (at OPP5),
but I doubt that will do any immediate damage, as absolute maximum is 1.6V, still I wont say its impossible.
s/device life/mean time to failure/, I assume.

so we are still talking about years here, nice.

I just saw this http://www.nokiaphones.net/nokia-n900-overclocked-up-to-1700-mhz/

alright, i'll wait some more for my pandora to come in.

Back