Is The 166mhz Memclock Locked/changeable?

mali

-
Website
Visit site
I wonder if the memory speed on OMAP is accessible somehow. I've read, that it runs at a fixed 166MHz. Is anyone going to try to alter the the corresponding registers on the chip directly, to experiment with memory overclocking?

For example, I used Anton Tomov's pocket hack master on my Pocket PCs and changing mem clock had much more effect on performance than overclocking the CPU. Anton also implemented an enhanced scaling engine that allowed changing of mem/CPU clock depending on system load.
It seems, that memory bandwith is always a bottleneck on handhelds.

Because of the fact, that OMAP has shared memory, altering memclock would have a large influence on system and gaming speed.

Is an expert out there, who could comment on the possibilities, please?

I'm also interested in this, but mostly to see how far it could be underclocked.

I'm curious to see what the minimum functional clock speed of the SoC and memory is, for playing MP3s or videos and just for when the device is idle.

It'll have DDR333, so pushing it higher could be pushing your luck with the memory (if it's possible). For reference, GP2X has PC133 SDRAM, so that didn't get in the way of the standard 240MHz that almost everyone can get.

Memory bandwidth won't be as much of a bottleneck as it is on most PocketPCs because unlike them Pandora has a decent amount of L2 cache. I think the memory bandwidth/latency to CPU bandwidth/latency ratio possibly won't be as bad as well.

EMiP said:
I'm also interested in this, but mostly to see how far it could be underclocked.

I'm curious to see what the minimum functional clock speed of the SoC and memory is, for playing MP3s or videos and just for when the device is idle.

Considering that the kernel will automatically underclock (and undervolt) when idle, I'm not sure how useful this would be?

Last edited by a moderator:
Back