Overclocking And Overvolting

quadomatic

DingooWiki Admin
Website
www.opendingoo.com
Now that Pandoras are in the wild, I was hoping someone would try to really push it, like those that have with the N900. Has anyone tried pushing the CPU to 1 GHz?

Also, I'm curious whether overvolting would provide any more overclocking potential.

Thoughts?

x68000 has been running smoothly at 850MHz, I believe he said that's where it's stable so he's probably tried higher with no luck. As for overvolting, that would help a bit but no one probably wants to try it atm as they just got their Pandas in the first place!

Try UNDERvolt but clock it to 1ghz (or 850mhz) with the undervolt.

Great success on N900. Talk to Elanzer (maybe Mali) for opinions on this.
I personally don't under volt, I just OC when needed.

Until we get the firmware that will allow us to change it to OPP5, I would be surprised if we hit 1Ghz. Just a guess, from previous reports.
N900 has auto voltage changing, we don't in the kernal (yet?)
What do you need to hack to get above the 900Mhz limit that OPT has placed in the frequency selector?

Did you post it here instead of software hack, due to hoping for some actual hardware hacks to gain speed?

Edit:
OPP5 is still in TI's spec, but maybe considered overvolting by OPT, don't know.

kingoddball said:
Try UNDERvolt but clock it to 1ghz (or 850mhz) with the undervolt.

Great success on N900. Talk to Elanzer (maybe Mali) for opinions on this.
I personally don't under volt, I just OC when needed.
The Pandora is undervolted by default. OPP3 is what the undervolted N900 runs at, too.

@quadomatic
I don't know what OPP stands for exactly, but it describes the core voltage the CPU is running at. Check the datasheet for more info.

Last edited by a moderator:
Does this void the warranty? :lol:

Started as a joke, but now it's a legitimate thought

Taking prior discussions into account, overvolting will void the warranty. IIRC, Jeff mentioned a pop-up warning to be displayed when overclocking exceeds safe limits, if you don't see a warning when moving the slider, everything should be fine. An overclocked CPU at OPP3 will just produce errors sometime, but nothing will happen to damage it. Overvolting is a different story.

puppydee said:
kingoddball said:
Does this void the warranty? :lol:

Started as a joke, but now it's a legitimate thought

Probably :)
I don't know, it's all hazy. <_< They may say that OPP5 is overvolting, just to stop people bugging them about what is ok to do, what if I blow the chip type questions......
But your probably just as likely (or not as it were) to damage it running at OPP3 as you are at OPP5.
Your actually running it out of TI's spec when you run it at 600Mhz at OPP3, 600Mhz is supposed to be ran at OPP5.
In the end it's up to OPT to decide what they consider to be ok, regardless of the actual chip specs.

skeezix said:
OPP3 900 ftw :)

jeff

Impressive :)
So we have 800, 850, 880 and 900 so far. I hope the second batch SoCs overclock equally well.

^ Give it time. Someone will compile a proper kernel to unlock OPP4 and OPP5. Don't expect it from the "official" devs, though.

been playing around with the clockspeed and 870Mhz is entirely stable, but 875Mhz is glitchy and tends to make emulators crash and revert back to the desktop.

Getting some impressive speeds!
Thought the thread in general was going to have the speeds in, more likely people will read it there instead of in hacking.
Those ARMS really are nice. Thanks for the update.

You notice any difference in battery meter?

Back