Pandora Phone? Openoffice? Amsn? Yes! :d

alerino

1. Install Extend Utils with Debian Sid, powered by Stuckie (thanks a lot, pal)
2. Then, enjoy almost 29000 programs and applications at choice
3. For a start, let's give OpenOffice, AMsn and Ekiga a try

BROffice (brazilian OpenOffice) takes 15 seconds to open, at 1 GHz (thanks to Jdbye' script) ;)
AMsn also works nicely

4954084026_e24335d471_z.jpg

thanks to Someguy99 for the screenshot shortcut, really good and handy

Now let's make a phonecall! Beware it's a low quality mobile video. I just tried calling my job's toll free number using a VoIP SIP account. You won't understand a word anyways, it's brazilian portuguese. I haven't tried a real phonecall (with me speaking) yet, it's just to show that we can do it!

4954083976_1fc03210f7_z.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Niiiice :) How well does OO actually perform? Its a bit of a pig, so cool to see. (And IIRC, its a java app, so that would ease a lot of java folks brains.)

jeff

skeezix said:
(And IIRC, its a java app, so that would ease a lot of java folks brains.)
Not. IIRC Some optional part uses java, but you can run OO without java.

Having OpenOffice on there is going to be a great asset for me. Abiword is more lightweight, but if I wanted to edit some of my essays or dissertation, then this'd be great. Now if anyone cares to see if Zotero will work with Firefox and OpenOffice on the Pandora?

Thanks for the info and videos.

Alerino said:
well, you've seen Openoffice in my video, it works nice, but only through Debian Extend atm
about Zotero, i installed it Firefox, it kinda works, but you know FF is a heavy hog, it's not fast and smooth as Chromium

check

4958865288_6cfc7f35fd.jpg

Thanks for testing that out for me, that was very kind of you. Yes, both Firefox and OpenOffice aren't exactly fast-starting even on a desktop machine. However just knowing Zotero can run is very useful to me.

Dead1nside said:
both Firefox and OpenOffice aren't exactly fast-starting even on a desktop machine.

They are on mine. Get a SSD and you'll know what I mean.

They are on mine, and I'm just using a regular laptop HDD... :blink:

More on-topic, it's very interesting to see the VoIP stuff working so well - the audio quality sounds pretty good. I'll be interested to know how a proper call goes, Alerino.

Very nice :)

I probably still need to make the Debian stuff a bit more intuitive to use.. perhaps a default "Start Debian" button that expects stuff configured correctly to just run? That'd make it super easy to get started :)
Suppose that wouldn't be much different from some emulators and ports, where roms and data need to be put in their appdata folder for instance.. so should be easy to sort out too.. rather than fiddle with the (somewhat user hostile) Extend Utils stuff.

Thinking on having another look at this too.. what with all the stuff you've been up to!
I got tired of it as it didn't seem like anyone was actually using it, so marked it under a "fun curiosity hack" and effectively let it be, apart from helping people out with bug reports and things.

But yes, nice work :) I never actually had much of a chance to mess around with it much! Nice to see it is actually useful after all.

as far as the voip goes... My ownly curiousity is whether bluetooth headsets are functional yet (anywhere in Linux, let alone for the projects in question in this thread)... granted, I have no problem walking around with a standard (behind the head) headset with a rotating microphone... just bluetooth would be nicer since I have a stereo bluetooth headset w/ built in microphone I would prefer to use if possible... But all in all, having debian functional on the Pandora is an exceptionally nice feature to have... Still looking forward to that email from OP! :D

This sounds good, voip will be nice, and now can run all the programs that come in a debian repo... Right?

Sounds big news, good work!

Bluetooth headsets... - This is the best desktop guide I've seen: http://forums.overclockers.com.au/showthread.php?t=780054

It's UGLY. Nothing's automatic. I'd guess to do this automatically you'd have to run a daemon in the background that listens to libnotify or whatever it is that says "There's a new device on the system." Looks like there's some issues with the mic in Skype, but it might do the trick for you.

Edit: Oh, yeah, my headset doesn't seem to mix very well - listening to music and having something else trying to send sound to it. You may want to look at a software mixing library.

I think sound is one of the most broken things on Linux. The white bits of my left pinky nail for 1 sound system. Layer 1 would be the raw driver, telling the system what it supports. Layer 2 would be the layer I'd want to mess with. Dump a mono, stereo, or whatever stream to the sound device. Layer 2 would send the sound directly to the sound card if it supports the number of channels, sample rate, etc. It would only jump in if it had to. No HW mixing? Well it auto-magically jumps in and does software mixing, and your software's none the wiser. Sound card doesn't support that sample rate? Then up or downsample as needed. No device is locked BS unless I specifically turn off features - like soft mixing or re-sampling. It would have a relatively high priority, and would get out of the way if it detects the hardware supports what you're trying to do so it keeps latency low - important for gaming, phone calls, etc.

If you want something different you can build a layer 3 on top of layer two that does multimedia mixing, sound servers for streaming, etc., but I don't want to be forced to use this layer as invariably it would introduce latency - something deadly to games.

Back