Our New Machine, Pandora

Should this thread die?

• Yes, kill it now!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Maybe move it to off-topic?

• No, let it live until its natural death!

• Total voters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tobriand said:
Any other applications? Are there any SDIO bluetooth or GPS cards?
pretec and toshiba produce bluetooth SDIO cards.
good news for me, bad news for the N810 ;)

So...will support for bluetooth SDIO cards be included in the default kernel/distro? will there be bluetooth GUI tools out of the box? and a nice browser with gecko or webkit? and flash?

questions, questions :)

Last edited by a moderator:
this design is not appealing. its fat as hell. also the keyboard is gonna be hard to use. since they are all flat and right next to each other. also the placement of the analog sticks looks very uncomfortable. the machine's specs are freakin amazing. and im sure we are all looking forward to what this machine can do but personally I think Ill wait until some guy decided to gut the machine and put it inside a better casing. this machine does not look very attractive at all either. I have been lurking around for a while becuase I have been pretty psyched about this whole concept. too bad these early pics are downright dissapointing.... <_<

aphexpusher said:
this design is not appealing. its fat as hell. also the keyboard is gonna be hard to use. since they are all flat and right next to each other. also the placement of the analog sticks looks very uncomfortable. the machine's specs are freakin amazing. and im sure we are all looking forward to what this machine can do but personally I think Ill wait until some guy decided to gut the machine and put it inside a better casing. this machine does not look very attractive at all either. I have been lurking around for a while becuase I have been pretty psyched about this whole concept. too bad these early pics are downright dissapointing.... <_<
lol, I just read someone who said it was too skinny.

aphexpusher said:
O M G. That design ROCKS! You think a clamshell is not 'stylish' in 2008? Go lie down in front of a train.

The clamshell is the perfect design for a device that goes with you - protects the controls and screen. BIG kudos to craigix for this very smart move.

The controls are all reachable by your thumbs - this is not a EEE pc size device. USE BRAIN. That screen is 4" so with total dimensions you will be able to hold it easily and reach all needed gaming controls, plus you can set it on a surface and poke away at the keyboard like a mini-laptop. Again, perfect.

Dual SD? Way too cool. 2x Full size SD means that unlike the 1x mini (micro) sd N810 you can drop all your big games on 1 SD and all your media on a frequently swapped 2nd SD. Again, bullseye.

Stylus for the flip-up screen? Not a problem if they have enough stiffness in the hinge.

'Not very attractive'?!? Go buy an iphone and G T F O.

pupnik said:
aphexpusher said:
O M G. That design ROCKS! You think a clamshell is not 'stylish' in 2008? Go lie down in front of a train.

The clamshell is the perfect design for a device that goes with you - protects the controls and screen. BIG kudos to craigix for this very smart move.

The controls are all reachable by your thumbs - this is not a EEE pc size device. USE BRAIN. That screen is 4" so with total dimensions you will be able to hold it easily and reach all needed gaming controls, plus you can set it on a surface and poke away at the keyboard like a mini-laptop. Again, perfect.

Dual SD? Way too cool. 2x Full size SD means that unlike the 1x mini (micro) sd N810 you can drop all your big games on 1 SD and all your media on a frequently swapped 2nd SD. Again, bullseye.

Stylus for the flip-up screen? Not a problem if they have enough stiffness in the hinge.

'Not very attractive'?!? Go buy an iphone and G T F O.

just giving my honest opinion. the clamshell design is fine but I wish you could somehow slide the screen on top of everything cuase I imagine it would be kinda hard to hold up with one hand and use a stylus in the other. carpel tunnel sucks. anyways you are insanely fanboyish. A little criticism too much for this thread? plus Im under the assumption that this is a render and not the final design. I figure since my opinion might actually have an impact here than I might as well give my two cents on where my cash is going. I mean they do want to hear what we like and dont like right?

Aha i've had my GP2x for almost half an hour and its still unopened, simply because of the leaflet that fell out adverising this!
Personally, I love it, renders always look crappier than in the flesh, if this has a price lower or matching the EEE PC, i'll probably invest in one :)

also maybe we could see a hold button for the keyboard or something? a little button somewhere so that the keyboard can be turned off so that we dont accidently touch one of the keys whilst trying to bust out some insane combo or something. regardless of what is done I would just hate if the keyboard got in the way of me enjoying my games and mashing away at the game pads and analog sticks.

aphexpusher said:
also maybe we could see a hold button for the keyboard or something? a little button somewhere so that the keyboard can be turned off so that we dont accidently touch one of the keys whilst trying to bust out some insane combo or something. regardless of what is done I would just hate if the keyboard got in the way of me enjoying my games and mashing away at the game pads and analog sticks.
Unless the game has defined keyboard input, I fail to see how it would matter -- it just won't respond to keypresses.

GunPei2X said:
aphexpusher said:
Unless the game has defined keyboard input, I fail to see how it would matter -- it just won't respond to keypresses.

ah. I see. that makes a lot of sense.

I think in the white it looks quite retro... like an oric or a newbrain - (oh god showing my age again) But as a machine aimed at a more general market I think it should have a few more curves and look a bit more elegant... although the DS is pretty square and you can't get one for love nor money again!!.

I'd love to see it in aluminium like a macbook - whoops there goes the budget!

when do we get to pre-order señor craigix?

Honestly and truthfully, I don't like the design personally. I'd like to see it in action though as it's hard to tell from the render what the end product will really be like...

If it were up to me (and I'm sure there's enough users to support another design like this) I'd rather have the machine without the keyboard in a non clamshell design, with the controls to the left and right of the screen (similar to the PSP, GP2X etc.)

IMHO this looks like a small UMPC, rather than a handheld gaming device...

Wow!! It looks great and clamshell is currently most desired product out there from what ive read and need. Only thing i cant see will there be a slot to carry the pen for the touch screen?. Also on keyboard i think it would be preferable to have, tab, and maybe a ctrl keys.

But awesome work guys cant wait to get my hands on one of these :)

Merry Christmas and new years to you all!!

teggun said:
Honestly and truthfully, I don't like the design personally. I'd like to see it in action though as it's hard to tell from the render what the end product will really be like...

If it were up to me (and I'm sure there's enough users to support another design like this) I'd rather have the machine without the keyboard in a non clamshell design, with the controls to the left and right of the screen (similar to the PSP, GP2X etc.)

IMHO this looks like a small UMPC, rather than a handheld gaming device...
I was thinking the same, although from this bit of fun I had this morning, I reckon it might work better than we first thought. Still I may prefer a normal look with a slideout keyboard, and something to cover the screen able to totally flip around and click to the back of the console.

That box is 5" wide, about the same as Pandora I guess.

But I wanted 4 shoulder buttons/ two that see-saw up and down for the PSX emulation :( and it looks like there's plenty of room for that- how much can that cost really for the benefit?

fakepandora1rk8.th.jpg

I think the keys on the keyboard should match the colour of the case. Having grey keys on a white console just makes the keyboard stick out needlessly.

Also I think maybe tapering the keys like on an actual keyboard, probably a bit more like the keybaord on a laptop, will make each key slightly more defined and make the keyboard slightly easier to use.

As for the name, is pandora a codename or the finalised name because I don't think it suits a console
"I'm just playing zelda on my pandora"
"I'm going to take my pandora on the train with me"
"No it's not a ds, it's a pandora"

chris_r said:
I think the keys on the keyboard should match the colour of the case. Having grey keys on a white console just makes the keyboard stick out needlessly.
Seconded.

Don't worry, colors and the keyboard itself are not fixed yet.
We are still looking for a good, reliable and easy-to-use keyboard. The one in the rendering is inaccurate.
Same goes for the DPad :) There needs a lot of testing to be done to make it perfect :)

This is probably a stupid question. But reading 327 pages to find the answer may be a little boring, so I'm just gonna ask: Is there an approximate release date? I want to know if I should buy a F-200 or wait for this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back