Our New Machine, Pandora

Should this thread die?

• Yes, kill it now!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Maybe move it to off-topic?

• No, let it live until its natural death!

• Total voters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nachician said:
This is probably a stupid question.
No, it really isn't, and ignore the people who tell you it is. Someone needs to post a link to this Wiki in a sticky so people like yourself don't have to be in this sort of uncomfortable situation.

Here's where you should go for all the information. Then come back here and discuss it with us. :)
http://pandora.bluwiki.com/

Last edited by a moderator:
Nachician said:
This is probably a stupid question. But reading 327 pages to find the answer may be a little boring, so I'm just gonna ask: Is there an approximate release date? I want to know if I should buy a F-200 or wait for this.
Adjust your board settings, and there's only 123 pages to read to find your answer ;)

Expect it somewhere around April time next year.

EvilDragon said:
Don't worry, colors and the keyboard itself are not fixed yet.
We are still looking for a good, reliable and easy-to-use keyboard. The one in the rendering is inaccurate.
Same goes for the DPad :) There needs a lot of testing to be done to make it perfect :)
yay

The design of the the machine looks shit, i was expecting so much more but what do you expect from budget company.
DS rip off , i might buy it but only if the specs are to be believed not because of its looks.
Its an ugly beast and you lot had the bollocks to say the giZ was ugly ;)

zaffercharles said:
Still I may prefer a normal look with a slideout keyboard, and something to cover the screen able to totally flip around and click to the back of the console.

That box is 5" wide, about the same as Pandora I guess.

But I wanted 4 shoulder buttons/ two that see-saw up and down for the PSX emulation :( and it looks like there's plenty of room for that- how much can that cost really for the benefit?
fakepandora1rk8.th.jpg

slide out keyboard and a rotatable screen to configure into a tablet style handheld would be sweeeeeet.

however I dont think there would be room for 4 shoulder buttons. maybe we could have six buttons instead of four buttons on the right kinda like the sega saturn or something. that would work....

chris_r said:
I think the keys on the keyboard should match the colour of the case. Having grey keys on a white console just makes the keyboard stick out needlessly.

Also I think maybe tapering the keys like on an actual keyboard, probably a bit more like the keybaord on a laptop, will make each key slightly more defined and make the keyboard slightly easier to use.

As for the name, is pandora a codename or the finalised name because I don't think it suits a console
"I'm just playing zelda on my pandora"
"I'm going to take my pandora on the train with me"
"No it's not a ds, it's a pandora"
YES! the keys need to all be the same color!!!! such an important issue! also yeah the name pandora kinda sounds.... strange...

supaimposter said:
The design of the the machine looks shit, i was expecting so much more but what do you expect from budget company.
DS rip off , i might buy it but only if the specs are to be believed not because of its looks.
Well, I remember one of the designers saying that he was brushing up the render before the name was even released. So, this might be a very early concept for all we know.... It doesn't look that bad, but it doesn't look fantastic. I was imagining a much more GP2X-look, than an ultra-mobile laptop one.

supaimposter said:
i might buy it but only if the specs are to be believed not because of its looks.
Well, yes, I much prefer the machine to impress on specs over impressing on looks :)

The gizmondo is butt ugly. Compared to this, compared to the gp2x...Compared to a Vtech laptop :)

The N-gage and the gizmondo might battle it out for the title of "ugliest handheld".

You have lost the concept of a design for a handheld machine, this is why you should get professionals in to do the job.
This could have been the turning point for homebrew machines but as it is its just another micro laptop.....boring.
Never reach mass market with this machine the design is crap i dont care what anyone says

supaimposter said:
You have lost the concept of a design for a handheld machine, this is why you should get professionals in to do the job.
This could have been the turning point for homebrew machines but as it is its just another micro laptop.....boring.
Never reach mass market with this machine the design is crap i dont care what anyone says
I think a slide out keyboard would fix that pretty easily.

You have got to be joking, if i pull this ugly thing out my psp/ds owning mates are gonna take the piss real bad.
Pay a real designer to come up with a prototype coz belive me you lot have no idea.
You may very well know what makes a handheld machine tick but when it comes to the exterior you have no idea.
CRAP!

sorry for the insults.......but im so disapointed , thought this would be a time when someone would try something new but no we get a small laptop that can play homebrew.........yipeeee

Huh. I had a dream the other night about the Craiginator (Sorry, dev dudes, but I just can't get behind the name 'Pandora'. You might as well call it the 'Puu'. <GBEG>) 2 (Yeah, I know, but in my defense I didn't even know about the Craiginator until its design had been finalized.) after seeing this picture:
CraiginatorLcd2.jpg

In my dream, that wasn't the screen - it was the whole unit. Here is a bit about it:
  • No external controls except for the power switch. Everything is done by the touchscreen or attached device. Perfect for when you only need a PDA.
  • The only ports, besides SD, are USB
  • Each side has one USB port, with registration holes on each side of it and a lip so that C32X2 specific devices, which have sliding teeth that are retracted by squeezing when inserting/removing, can be securely locked into place. (Said devices will also work fine with regular USB ports, but won't lock into place.)
  • Charged from computer USB port or AC/USB adapter/charger.
Here are some of the devices I came up with:
  • Media Player Controller: (Comes with main unit) Consists of standard media buttons (Play/pause/etc.) and headphone jack. Buttons in single row, with headphone jack tucked under and in line with buttons for slim design. When inserted into one of the short sides of the C32X2, it is short enough not to cover the stylus hole. Switch on unit allows choosing between regular headphones & earphone/mike for use with phone headset. (Comes with 2.5mm to 3.5mm adapter) When placed in a USB port, system sees two devices: a HID (i.e. the buttons), and a sound card. (Because audio is moved off of main unit, it can be made that much smaller)
  • Gaming controller: Essentially a PSX SIXAXIS controller with the center portion cut out and a USB jack and port in each 'cut' surface. The two halves can rotate a certain amount to allow changing the controller's angle relative to the screen. (detents keep them from rotating accidentally) Locks to back of unit as well as USB port for more strength. While each is a HID, a driver combines the inputs so that software sees a single, virtual HID. By making the two halves physically separate, not only does it make a smaller package when not in use, but they can be attached in either landscape or portrait mode. Also, attaching (for example) the left one only when using the stylus will give you directional scrolling control and a good grip. Also included is an adapter that fits between the two halves and connects the jack on one half to a port on the other. The second half combines the signals from both halves and sends them a USB B port in the adapter, thus allowing it to work as a standard PC USB HID gamepad.
  • A/V Interface: Standard A/V outputs on one long side. Has three USB ports on other sides matching location of main unit's. Includes rigid 'U'-shaped USB jumper for connection to main unit. Stackable. Includes a removable, reversible, hinged bracket that locks to the main unit and transforms it into a clamshell setup. Comes with remote. System sees it as USB video card, sound card, & HID.
  • Keyboard: A basic USB mini keyboard. Has four USB ports matching location of main unit's. Includes a removable, hinged bracket that locks to the main unit and transforms it into a clamshell setup.
  • Battery Pack: Locks to back of main unit/keyboard/etc. Has four USB ports matching location of main unit's. Includes rigid 'U'-shaped USB jumper for connection to main unit. Stackable. Can be used to charge any USB device. Is recharged with same AC/USB adapter that comes with main unit.
  • HD Unit: 2.5" HD to USB adapter. Has four USB ports matching location of main unit's. Includes rigid 'U'-shaped USB jumper for connection to main unit. Stackable.
All interfaces are USB based for the following reasons:
  • USB is a well known, multi-platform standard, which makes developing hardware/software much easier.
  • Transparently stackable
  • All devices (With the proper drivers) will work with the C32X2 and PC's/Macs, thus helping to make sure that retailers won't reject it for fear of being stuck with useless peripherals if it doesn't sell well.
  • Many current driverless devices, like USB keyboards, etc., will be simply plug-n-play. Linux drivers for many others are available.
  • You only need to buy devices that you really need, and can leave any that you have bought, but don't need, at home.
  • Devices can be placed in any port, allowing maximum flexibility. For example, you could stack the A/V Interface & HD Unit (With all your ROMs), run a cable to the main unit with the Gaming Controller attached, and then attach three USB gamepads for four-player MAME mayhem on your HDTV. WOOT!

DeadlyDad said:
Huh. I had a dream the other night about the Craiginator (Sorry, dev dudes, but I just can't get behind the name 'Pandora'. You might as well call it the 'Puu'. <GBEG>) 2 (Yeah, I know, but in my defense I didn't even know about the Craiginator until its design had been finalized.) after seeing this picture:
CraiginatorLcd2.jpg

In my dream, that wasn't the screen - it was the whole unit. Here is a bit about it:
  • No external controls except for the power switch. Everything is done by the touchscreen or attached device. Perfect for when you only need a PDA.
  • The only ports, besides SD, are USB
  • Each side has one USB port, with registration holes on each side of it and a lip so that C32X2 specific devices, which have sliding teeth that are retracted by squeezing when inserting/removing, can be securely locked into place. (Said devices will also work fine with regular USB ports, but won't lock into place.)
  • Charged from computer USB port or AC/USB adapter/charger.
Here are some of the devices I came up with:
  • Media Player Controller: (Comes with main unit) Consists of standard media buttons (Play/pause/etc.) and headphone jack. Buttons in single row, with headphone jack tucked under and in line with buttons for slim design. When inserted into one of the short sides of the C32X2, it is short enough not to cover the stylus hole. Switch on unit allows choosing between regular headphones & earphone/mike for use with phone headset. (Comes with 2.5mm to 3.5mm adapter) When placed in a USB port, system sees two devices: a HID (i.e. the buttons), and a sound card. (Because audio is moved off of main unit, it can be made that much smaller)
  • Gaming controller: Essentially a PSX SIXAXIS controller with the center portion cut out and a USB jack and port in each 'cut' surface. The two halves can rotate a certain amount to allow changing the controller's angle relative to the screen. (detents keep them from rotating accidentally) Locks to back of unit as well as USB port for more strength. While each is a HID, a driver combines the inputs so that software sees a single, virtual HID. By making the two halves physically separate, not only does it make a smaller package when not in use, but they can be attached in either landscape or portrait mode. Also, attaching (for example) the left one only when using the stylus will give you directional scrolling control and a good grip. Also included is an adapter that fits between the two halves and connects the jack on one half to a port on the other. The second half combines the signals from both halves and sends them a USB B port in the adapter, thus allowing it to work as a standard PC USB HID gamepad.
  • A/V Interface: Standard A/V outputs on one long side. Has three USB ports on other sides matching location of main unit's. Includes rigid 'U'-shaped USB jumper for connection to main unit. Stackable. Includes a removable, reversible, hinged bracket that locks to the main unit and transforms it into a clamshell setup. Comes with remote. System sees it as USB video card, sound card, & HID.
  • Keyboard: A basic USB mini keyboard. Has four USB ports matching location of main unit's. Includes a removable, hinged bracket that locks to the main unit and transforms it into a clamshell setup.
  • Battery Pack: Locks to back of main unit/keyboard/etc. Has four USB ports matching location of main unit's. Includes rigid 'U'-shaped USB jumper for connection to main unit. Stackable. Can be used to charge any USB device. Is recharged with same AC/USB adapter that comes with main unit.
  • HD Unit: 2.5" HD to USB adapter. Has four USB ports matching location of main unit's. Includes rigid 'U'-shaped USB jumper for connection to main unit. Stackable.
All interfaces are USB based for the following reasons:
  • USB is a well known, multi-platform standard, which makes developing hardware/software much easier.
  • Transparently stackable
  • All devices (With the proper drivers) will work with the C32X2 and PC's/Macs, thus helping to make sure that retailers won't reject it for fear of being stuck with useless peripherals if it doesn't sell well.
  • Many current driverless devices, like USB keyboards, etc., will be simply plug-n-play. Linux drivers for many others are available.
  • You only need to buy devices that you really need, and can leave any that you have bought, but don't need, at home.
  • Devices can be placed in any port, allowing maximum flexibility. For example, you could stack the A/V Interface & HD Unit (With all your ROMs), run a cable to the main unit with the Gaming Controller attached, and then attach three USB gamepads for four-player MAME mayhem on your HDTV. WOOT!

I wouldnt like that design much...... honestly I like that clamshell design alot. its just that everything looks so crammed onto the bottom. it would be more effective if the keyboard could slide out and the gamer controls were on top of everything.

Please pay a proper concept designer to come up with something, nothing against you but its like getting a brick layer to do an oil painting.

supaimposter said:
Please pay a proper concept designer to come up with something, nothing against you but its like getting a brick layer to do an oil painting.
You know what, I can see were your going, and you're probably right. I imagined the Pandora to be a handheld system with a design similar to the PSP or GP2X, but it looks like an ultra-mobile laptop. I already have a laptop, and I don't enjoy gaming on it. I wanted a system that felt responsive and sturdy in the hands, and no, that's definitely not the Nintendo DS. I imagined that the Pandora would have been like the extremely well made Wireless Logitech controllers for the PS2, but I can't see how you can possibly get responsive controls out of this design. Honestly, controls are extremely important, almost as important as power. I agree that a professional concept designer should probably be hired at this point.

supaimposter said:
Y'know, I'm so sick of handhelds that sacrifice functionality for looks and design. I couldn't give a flying you-know-what for how it looks, as long as it PLAYS well.

Besides, this is no uglier than the DS (in fact, it is very very similar), which is the best-selling and best-playing handheld avilable.

btw four shoulder buttons would be fantastic if they fit -- perhaps two of them can be smaller, like on the Xbox360 pad?

Wow -

Pretty impressive. I have to say, yes, the keyboard looks a bit unsightly but everything else looks to be a dream. I can't imagine having all that functionality compressed into a clamshell case (with usb host out of the box). I am so excited :) The clamshell works brilliantly for watching videos, etc, I even prefer it for gaming, as it allows you to change the viewing angle independent of you hands position.

Very excited to say the least.

aphexpusher said:
DeadlyDad said:
-----8<-----
-----8<-----
I wouldn't like that design much...... honestly I like that clamshell design a lot. its just that everything looks so crammed onto the bottom. it would be more effective if the keyboard could slide out and the gamer controls were on top of everything.

'Nuff said? It also wouldn't be difficult to make a keyboard bracket that locked to the bottom of the main unit and slid out. That was kind of the idea behind my design - Want more/new features? Just add them!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back