Our New Machine, Pandora

Should this thread die?

• Yes, kill it now!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Maybe move it to off-topic?

• No, let it live until its natural death!

• Total voters

Status
Not open for further replies.
DeadlyDad said:
aphexpusher said:
DeadlyDad said:
-----8<-----
  • Keyboard: A basic USB mini keyboard. Has four USB ports matching location of main unit's. Includes a removable, hinged bracket that locks to the main unit and transforms it into a clamshell setup.
-----8<-----
I wouldn't like that design much...... honestly I like that clamshell design a lot. its just that everything looks so crammed onto the bottom. it would be more effective if the keyboard could slide out and the gamer controls were on top of everything.

'Nuff said? It also wouldn't be difficult to make a keyboard bracket that locked to the bottom of the main unit and slid out. That was kind of the idea behind my design - Want more/new features? Just add them!

I see what you are saying but for some reason it just seems like it would be fragile or something... ofc that is only assumption.. would have to see this unit for myself I guess....

Last edited by a moderator:
DeadlyDad said:
'Nuff said? It also wouldn't be difficult to make a keyboard bracket that locked to the bottom of the main unit and slid out. That was kind of the idea behind my design - Want more/new features? Just add them!
Somehow I think your design would be more bulky due to the amount of connections for each bit you want to add, fragile (can't just throw it on a bag without fear of one of the connections breaking), and cpu-heavy. Just imagine playing high-end emu such as N64, and it having to constantly talk USB to the sound addon & video addon, at the same time as polling the other usb devices.

How about a render so we can see what your saying rather than reading?

supaimposter said:
Please pay a proper concept designer to come up with something, nothing against you but its like getting a brick layer to do an oil painting.
If I give you a dollar, will you go away?

Just messin , it seems like you cant express an opinion without someone pissing their pants.
Atomic thumbs

Probably get a ban for that comment .......hey it was worth it.

DeadlyDad said:
Huh. I had a dream the other night about the Craiginator (Sorry, dev dudes, but I just can't get behind the name 'Pandora'. You might as well call it the 'Puu'. <GBEG>) 2 (Yeah, I know, but in my defense I didn't even know about the Craiginator until its design had been finalized.) after seeing this picture:
CraiginatorLcd2.jpg

In my dream, that wasn't the screen - it was the whole unit. Here is a bit about it:
  • No external controls except for the power switch. Everything is done by the touchscreen or attached device. Perfect for when you only need a PDA.
  • The only ports, besides SD, are USB
  • Each side has one USB port, with registration holes on each side of it and a lip so that C32X2 specific devices, which have sliding teeth that are retracted by squeezing when inserting/removing, can be securely locked into place. (Said devices will also work fine with regular USB ports, but won't lock into place.)
  • Charged from computer USB port or AC/USB adapter/charger.
Here are some of the devices I came up with:
  • Media Player Controller: (Comes with main unit) Consists of standard media buttons (Play/pause/etc.) and headphone jack. Buttons in single row, with headphone jack tucked under and in line with buttons for slim design. When inserted into one of the short sides of the C32X2, it is short enough not to cover the stylus hole. Switch on unit allows choosing between regular headphones & earphone/mike for use with phone headset. (Comes with 2.5mm to 3.5mm adapter) When placed in a USB port, system sees two devices: a HID (i.e. the buttons), and a sound card. (Because audio is moved off of main unit, it can be made that much smaller)
  • Gaming controller: Essentially a PSX SIXAXIS controller with the center portion cut out and a USB jack and port in each 'cut' surface. The two halves can rotate a certain amount to allow changing the controller's angle relative to the screen. (detents keep them from rotating accidentally) Locks to back of unit as well as USB port for more strength. While each is a HID, a driver combines the inputs so that software sees a single, virtual HID. By making the two halves physically separate, not only does it make a smaller package when not in use, but they can be attached in either landscape or portrait mode. Also, attaching (for example) the left one only when using the stylus will give you directional scrolling control and a good grip. Also included is an adapter that fits between the two halves and connects the jack on one half to a port on the other. The second half combines the signals from both halves and sends them a USB B port in the adapter, thus allowing it to work as a standard PC USB HID gamepad.
  • A/V Interface: Standard A/V outputs on one long side. Has three USB ports on other sides matching location of main unit's. Includes rigid 'U'-shaped USB jumper for connection to main unit. Stackable. Includes a removable, reversible, hinged bracket that locks to the main unit and transforms it into a clamshell setup. Comes with remote. System sees it as USB video card, sound card, & HID.
  • Keyboard: A basic USB mini keyboard. Has four USB ports matching location of main unit's. Includes a removable, hinged bracket that locks to the main unit and transforms it into a clamshell setup.
  • Battery Pack: Locks to back of main unit/keyboard/etc. Has four USB ports matching location of main unit's. Includes rigid 'U'-shaped USB jumper for connection to main unit. Stackable. Can be used to charge any USB device. Is recharged with same AC/USB adapter that comes with main unit.
  • HD Unit: 2.5" HD to USB adapter. Has four USB ports matching location of main unit's. Includes rigid 'U'-shaped USB jumper for connection to main unit. Stackable.
All interfaces are USB based for the following reasons:
  • USB is a well known, multi-platform standard, which makes developing hardware/software much easier.
  • Transparently stackable
  • All devices (With the proper drivers) will work with the C32X2 and PC's/Macs, thus helping to make sure that retailers won't reject it for fear of being stuck with useless peripherals if it doesn't sell well.
  • Many current driverless devices, like USB keyboards, etc., will be simply plug-n-play. Linux drivers for many others are available.
  • You only need to buy devices that you really need, and can leave any that you have bought, but don't need, at home.
  • Devices can be placed in any port, allowing maximum flexibility. For example, you could stack the A/V Interface & HD Unit (With all your ROMs), run a cable to the main unit with the Gaming Controller attached, and then attach three USB gamepads for four-player MAME mayhem on your HDTV. WOOT!

Ironically enough, the day after that picture was released, (the one of the screen, that is) I printed it out and showed it to one of my friends, and he told me that exact same idea. So it's pretty funny seeing it pop up about a month or so later. XD

-God Ginrai

I was wondering if this system would have a half way decent dac? I mean nothing top of the line but at least as good as the psp if not better.... mainly when I buy this thing Im going to probably be waiting patiantly for someone to dev sound applications for it. its possible that a lot of software will end up ported to this thing as well. I will likely line the unit out to an amplifier and fiddle with it like a hand held instrument. obviously in the mean time Ill be playing all my favorite emulators but Im sure sound synthesizers will eventually be usable on this thing. I mean linux has many many open source sound applications. Im sure at least one real time modular sound synthesizer program will make its way over. thats when my fun begins! B)

EDIT: also PLEASE HAVE A LINE IN! a mic port or something. PLEASE DO NOT ACTUALLY HAVE A MIC INSTALLED!!! and if you do have an optional line in! I would absolutely looooove to be able to hook in a good quality mic on this thing and sample whilst walking around the park or down the street or something. sounds like so much fun!

Hi all -

Long time lurker w/ a quick question. Given the recent wide exposure via Engadget, etc., and given that there is obviously a great deal of interest in Pandora right here on these pages alone (unless I'm misinterpreting 300+ pages :p ), how will the group be able to produce enough units to satisfy demand without months of backorders? When all is said and done, and with all of my excitement and hope that the wait may end sometime over the next six months, I'd just hate to find that the only way of making that dream come true is buying a "scalped" BNIB Pandora on Ebay for 3-4x the asking price. :eek:

Best,

RobbW

RobbW said:
Hi all -

Long time lurker w/ a quick question. Given the recent wide exposure via Engadget, etc., and given that there is obviously a great deal of interest in Pandora right here on these pages alone (unless I'm misinterpreting 300+ pages :p ), how will the group be able to produce enough units to satisfy demand without months of backorders? When all is said and done, and with all of my excitement and hope that the wait may end sometime over the next six months, I'd just hate to find that the only way of making that dream come true is buying a "scalped" BNIB Pandora on Ebay for 3-4x the asking price. :eek:

Best,

RobbW
The unit is £200, no offence to the designers or pandora fanboys (I see you already!!) not that many people are willing to pay twice the price of a DS/PSP for a similar machine, and many consumers who want something for email etc. will go for an eee. IMHO the system may sell well in the mainstream, but not that well.

aphexpusher said:
EDIT: also PLEASE HAVE A LINE IN! a mic port or something. PLEASE DO NOT ACTUALLY HAVE A MIC INSTALLED!!!
Why not both? I know that just having a microphone port would make that part completely useless for most people.

supaimposter said:
Just messin , it seems like you cant express an opinion without someone pissing their pants.
Atomic thumbs

Yeah you are such a victim aren't you. Just trying to express your innocent opinion and all the evil people in this thread that are totally convinced the pandora is god want to lynch you because you are such a free spirit. Come on... do you believe yourself? That is so weak.

It's not that we can't take criticism. Actually criticism is quite important as a lot has to be changed and the design is still not final. But you don't need to start insulting. Contribute something constructive... or shut the fuck up. Noone needs trolls. Same goes for all the other whiners. Criticism is well appreciated but I am sick and tired of people going apeshit over the pandora not being what they want. Blablabla why doesn't it have a built in fleshlight, why can't we add an inflatable usb life saving kit, why can't the pandora cut my cocain blabla...
Seriously, you haven't paid for it yet, so you have no right to demand. You can leave constructive comments but cut the fanboish whiny childish crap. The keyboard stays on, the hardware has been decided on and much thought has been put into it. Lots of suggestions from the community have been incorporated in the last months in this thread. If you didn't want a keyboard, maybe you should have mentioned that earlier. Lots of people want it.

Only thing we can work on now is the shell design. Keyboard and button layout, stuff like this. I and many others have said this over and over. So just brighten up you all...

supaimposter said:
Atomic thumbs

Anymore of that and you will be, And that was not an opinion, That was a joke gone too far.

In the short time you have posted here, ie today, since your long time away, You have not said a nice or positive thing in anyone of your posts.

Lighten up and be a bit more civilized, Please.

Trooper

supaimposter said:
sorry for the insults.......but im so disapointed , thought this would be a time when someone would try something new but no we get a small laptop that can play homebrew.........yipeeee
Well you do have your new Gizmondofloppieceofcrap for $99 to look forward to. You and the 5 other Jizdildo fanboiz can all sit around the campfire singing Coombaya and have a big circle jerk with them.

The rest of us will be playing with a REAL handheld.

By the way the renders are not final ;)

DaveC said:
supaimposter said:
sorry for the insults.......but im so disapointed , thought this would be a time when someone would try something new but no we get a small laptop that can play homebrew.........yipeeee
Well you do have your new Gizmondofloppieceofcrap for $99 to look forward to. You and the 5 other Jizdildo fanboiz can all sit around the campfire singing Coombaya and have a big circle jerk with them.

Wow, very good post. One o f the best in this whole thread. B)

imec said:
DaveC said:
supaimposter said:

Wow, very good post. One o f the best in this whole thread. B)

Yeah, that one definitely made me happy. lol

You know, do these people realize that this is far too small to be called a laptop in any sense of the word? It's like if someone called the DS a laptop. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back