Our New Machine, Pandora

Should this thread die?

• Yes, kill it now!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Maybe move it to off-topic?

• No, let it live until its natural death!

• Total voters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dvorak discussion is ridiculous. Dvorak is for touch typing. And not even Microsoft or Nokia could pull it off selling a handheld with dvorak. Do you honestly think an unknown device like the Craiginator could? People want what they're used to. It would be a disaster. If you absolutely want dvorak then plug in a usb dvorak keyboard.

atomicthumbs said:
chris_r said:
the domain has been registered
Time to play "guess-the-name"!

I don't think chris_r is "in the know", more than he is just inferring from what he's heard. Nonetheless, it would be interesting to see if you can do a WHOIS search with an owner name instead of a domain. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
javaJake said:
I don't think chris_r is "in the know", more than he is just inferring from what he's heard. Nonetheless, it would be interesting to see if you can do a WHOIS search with an owner name instead of a domain. :)
I'm not :p He just quoted the post where I translated what ED said on the german forums

Stealth Bagel said:
shut up oh my god shut up shut up
Hallelujah! The last thing we need around here is a Dvorak zealot. Who cares if Dvorak is faster, fool, don't make yourself be another DaveC. Stop feeding the troll people, just call him an idiot.

javaJake said:
If the moderators were paying attention, there is a very real chance of banning here. According to the rules linked in my signature, none of this behavior is allowed in the least.
Who cares.

fusion_power said:
Yes, ED is making the Design of the Device, AFAIK he has finished the Renderings. This stuff will be also used to print Flyers with the Device in original Size. Then, the Flyers are sent to the sponsors. And only AFTER the sponsors have confirmed the design, we users will see results. So I think the whole story could take a while.
Not exactly. The sponsors / donators (whatever you may call the guys who help us out by believing in this project :)) don't confirm anything, it's just that we want them to see something before everybody else does.

:) A lot of donators are users here anyways ;)

Last edited:
A_SN said:
javaJake said:
If the moderators were paying attention, there is a very real chance of banning here. According to the rules linked in my signature, none of this behavior is allowed in the least.
Who cares.

Well, I'd think the moderators would. ;)

Anyway, 'nuff said. If the moderators care, then they'll take care of it from here.

EvilDragon said:
fusion_power said:
Yes, ED is making the Design of the Device, AFAIK he has finished the Renderings. This stuff will be also used to print Flyers with the Device in original Size. Then, the Flyers are sent to the sponsors. And only AFTER the sponsors have confirmed the design, we users will see results. So I think the whole story could take a while.
Not exactly. The sponsors / donators (whatever you may call the guys who help us out by believing in this project :)) don't confirm anything, it's just that we want them to see something before everybody else does.

:) A lot of donators are users here anyways ;)

So we will not see any photos/concept drawings until Christmas or by the end of this year? :(

migo said:
And what are you basing this on? Do you actually have a handheld with a keyboard? I do. Most of them suck, the few that have a good design still suffer from the QWERTY layout.
It's called a standard. We could force everyone to relearn a complete new keyboard layout, but why should we? Some people can do 70, 80, 100+ wpm on a qwerty keyboard. Why force them back down to 10wpm by changing the keyboard layout.

Lets take a look at some forum posts on the Colemak message board (which is supposed to be a standard thats much easier to learn than dvorak):

My learning experience was about 3 days straight (10-12 hours /day) after that, I could type in Colemak, albeit a bit slowly.

Within 2 months I was back to my normal typing speed.

I don't see any point in spending two months of slow typing when I can type fast enough for my needs NOW, and certainly don't wish to waste 12 hours a day just to remember what keys to press to get the result I want.

migo said:
Did you even take a look at what you posted?
<blah blah blah>
Zzzzzz.... Sorry, I started to reply to your message, but just fell asleep part way through.

So I decided to include this instead:

nsun20l.jpg

imec said:
The misquote is the only funny thing I have read in awhile (well, in this thread at least). Calm down, QWERTY is much more common than Dvorak. Honestly, I don't know how you can expect that layout to be adopted when such a minute percentage of the people buying this device will even use it. Maybe you could rip the keys out and change them around, and use software to remap the keys. Honestly, not very many people want Dvorak, it doesn't matter how superior it is. Most people are used to QWERTY, therefore QWERTY is a much wiser decision.

No, the most common layout is AZERTY !! ;P

atomicthumbs said:
Dead Ghost said:
So we will not see any photos/concept drawings until Christmas or by the end of this year? :(
Where did you get that idea?

Yeah it'll be at least May before something (anything!!) is released.

Your an idiot. QWERTY RULZ!!!1!!1!

Your an idiot. Dvorak RULZ!!!1!!1!

'Nuff said? Seriously, guys, what is the point of arguing? What it all comes down to is this:
  • Dvorak is better than QWERTY*. It was designed to be.
  • For all its faults, QWERTY is still the standard, simply because it is used by far more people than Dvorak.
  • Tastes great/less filling
What I propose is that a latex/whatever sleeve be produced that has alternate key layouts, and can simply be slipped over the keyboard portion of the unit, a la Viziflex Seels. (And no, marketing it as a 'Keyboard Kondom' would NOT be a good idea.)

So there you go; you could have any keyboard layout you want, any time you want, for (probably) less than ten bucks. On with the next specious scrap!

*Substitute 'Windows' for 'QWERTY' & 'Linux' for 'Dvorak' - same tired, old arguments.

hlide said:
imec said:
The misquote is the only funny thing I have read in awhile (well, in this thread at least). Calm down, QWERTY is much more common than Dvorak. Honestly, I don't know how you can expect that layout to be adopted when such a minute percentage of the people buying this device will even use it. Maybe you could rip the keys out and change them around, and use software to remap the keys. Honestly, not very many people want Dvorak, it doesn't matter how superior it is. Most people are used to QWERTY, therefore QWERTY is a much wiser decision.

No, the most common layout is AZERTY !! ;P

Not where I'm from. Of course, for all I know, you could be joking. Hard to tell over the internet, even with that smiley, as someone pointed out to me a few months ago.

My HTC TYTN II uses a QWERTY keyboard, and it's the best i have come across on a hadheld. The default TomTom onscreen keyboard is ABCDE which I had to change to Qwerty as it was taking waaaay toooo long to type in where i wanted to go ... !

I think that the keyboard should be redesigned as an arse attachment, as it seems that most of the talk about them so far has come from that area- cut out the middleman.

I think that we should stop talking about the keyboard now, because some people are inevitably going to be disappointed whichever form it takes. This was/is a friendly community guys. Lets all hug and make up.:)

I must say that I'm pretty excited about the possibilities of this new machine. I think it will be brilliant in the music field. It would make an excellent configurable MIDI/OSC controller ideal for live performance and VJ. I've already got plans to link it to Ableton Live, Quartz Composer, VVVV, Processing etc.

Other than games and web browsing, what use are you guys/gals going to put it to?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back