Our New Machine, Pandora

Should this thread die?

• Yes, kill it now!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Maybe move it to off-topic?

• No, let it live until its natural death!

• Total voters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Calm it down people (You know who you are), There is no need for all this childish behaviour. At least try to act just a little bit civilized, And not drag this thread through the dirt.

People carrying on as if they themselves are directing this project, Arguing like silly children hoping they will influence the outcome of the final design, When this sort of behaviour is usually the first thing to put people off listening to the views, Idea`s and suggestions of people like that.

Take this as a warning. If you are going to be more civilized, Then nothing more will be said.

Trooper

migo said:
Moxie said:
Putting a Dvorak layout on the *inator would be an excellent way to make sure only three people in the world bought it. It's as good an idea as making the firmware text be in Lojban - "Come on, it's a prefectly logical langue! Very effective! You'll learn the basics in, say, 2 weeks!".
You've got a pretty low opinion of the human race.

Nope, I've got a realistic opinion of the human race. How long has the Dvorak layout been around? For about 70 year now, right? Go into an ordinary computer store. See any Dvorak keyboards? Go into an ordinary office. See any Dvorak keyboards? Nope. Apart from us nerds, nobody even knows what a Dvorak keyboard is. You asked earlier, in what I suppose was meant as a rethorical question: "Wouldn't people want a machine with a more efficient keyboard layout", or something to that effect. And the answer, even though I know one shouldn't answer rethorical questions, is a resounding NO! People don't want that. They havent wanted that for the last 70 years, at least.

It will, of course, be a no-brainer to redefine the keyboard in software so you can have any layout you want, and maybe it will even be possible to move keycaps around if one likes, but a Dvorak layout as a standard? Nope, the people has already spoken on that one.

Last edited by a moderator:
To help you all calm down, I've devised a simple haiku. Learn it, and when in doubt, repeat until calm.

Craigs device will stun
Give the man time to perfect
Just stop worrying

EvilDragon said:
fusion_power said:
Yes, ED is making the Design of the Device, AFAIK he has finished the Renderings. This stuff will be also used to print Flyers with the Device in original Size. Then, the Flyers are sent to the sponsors. And only AFTER the sponsors have confirmed the design, we users will see results. So I think the whole story could take a while.
Not exactly. The sponsors / donators (whatever you may call the guys who help us out by believing in this project :)) don't confirm anything, it's just that we want them to see something before everybody else does.

:) A lot of donators are users here anyways ;)

Yes. :) With "sponsors" I meant the "official guys" that support your project. And with "donators" I meant the Users who donated for Craigix and this Leukemia research thing.

Oh, funny and useless discussion about the keyboard Layout. I never heard of "Dvorak" before. :lol: And afaik, the Keyboard will be 100% QUERTY (with an option to have all QUERTZ letters available I hope).
Better we discuss more interesting things here. ^_^

jmetal88 said:
hlide said:
imec said:
The misquote is the only funny thing I have read in awhile (well, in this thread at least). Calm down, QWERTY is much more common than Dvorak. Honestly, I don't know how you can expect that layout to be adopted when such a minute percentage of the people buying this device will even use it. Maybe you could rip the keys out and change them around, and use software to remap the keys. Honestly, not very many people want Dvorak, it doesn't matter how superior it is. Most people are used to QWERTY, therefore QWERTY is a much wiser decision.

No, the most common layout is AZERTY !! ;P

Not where I'm from. Of course, for all I know, you could be joking. Hard to tell over the internet, even with that smiley, as someone pointed out to me a few months ago.

of course i'm joking ! or rather i'm ironical. This war about QWERTY/DVORAK is pretty ridicule and quite unsatisfactory for us french anyway since we commonly have a third layout which is AZERTY (why on earth do we have a third layout !?). Honestly, I wouldn't buy this device for just its keyboard. So yes i'm drawing my tongue with a malicious grin : hey guys ! we want AZERTY too !

DeadlyDad said:

Your an idiot. QWERTY RULZ!!!1!!1!

Your an idiot. Dvorak RULZ!!!1!!1!

'Nuff said? Seriously, guys, what is the point of arguing? What it all comes down to is this:
  • Dvorak is better than QWERTY*. It was designed to be.
  • For all its faults, QWERTY is still the standard, simply because it is used by far more people than Dvorak.
  • Tastes great/less filling
What I propose is that a latex/whatever sleeve be produced that has alternate key layouts, and can simply be slipped over the keyboard portion of the unit, a la Viziflex Seels. (And no, marketing it as a 'Keyboard Kondom' would NOT be a good idea.)

So there you go; you could have any keyboard layout you want, any time you want, for (probably) less than ten bucks. On with the next specious scrap!

*Substitute 'Windows' for 'QWERTY' & 'Linux' for 'Dvorak' - same tired, old arguments.

That has to be the best post I've seen the past 4 or so pages. Also, I like the sleeve idea, if it will work well.

@atomicthumbs - I wanted to know if I could be given editing rights to the wiki. I would like to make a section for requested systems to be emulated, suggested emus for porting, suggested features for each emulator, etc. I figure by doing this, I can do something productive to keep me busy until new info is released, as well as make a little checklist for porting emus and such that may be useful later on. (I wouldn't do this on the main page of the wiki, tho'. I would do it on a seperate page. My username on it is God Ginrai, just like on here.

-God Ginrai

I've just noticed that some places are selling "Simplified Dvorak" keyboards. Is that another layout? So we have "Traditional Dvorak" and "Simplified Dvorak" ? Whats the difference?

Sounds like even if the 'nator was Dvorak (which it's not going to be), it could still be wrong, as it could be simplified instead of traditional (and vice versa).

Nova said:
To help you all calm down, I've devised a simple haiku. Learn it, and when in doubt, repeat until calm.

Craigs device will stun
Give the man time to perfect
Just stop worrying
Cool... they've added a TASER?
:D

God Ginrai said:
I wanted to know if I could be given editing rights to the wiki.
You can tell by signing in, and double-clicking anywhere in the article. AFAIK, atomicthumbs only restricted edit rights to [strikeout]anonymous[/strikeout] registered users.

Edit: What can I say? I'm tired. ;) (see above edits)

Xhorder said:
Cool... they've added a TASER?
:D
Will people please stop asking for ridiculous features! please!! If you want a taser you'll have write the device drivers for yourself. end of!

javaJake said:
God Ginrai said:
I wanted to know if I could be given editing rights to the wiki.
You can tell by signing in, and double-clicking anywhere in the article. AFAIK, atomicthumbs only restricted edit rights to anonymous users.

Oh, I was under the impression that he had restricted rights to only himself.

-God Ginrai

God Ginrai said:
@atomicthumbs - I wanted to know if I could be given editing rights to the wiki.
Anybody who signs up for an account on BluWiki has editing rights.

Anyone can edit it as long as they don't vandalize it and they aren't Turnip (asshole).

Goobers said:
I think that the keyboard should be redesigned as an arse attachment
And we should have the analog sticks as an optional accessory. Who'll need those?

hlide said:
of course i'm joking ! or rather i'm ironical. This war about QWERTY/DVORAK is pretty ridicule and quite unsatisfactory for us french anyway since we commonly have a third layout which is AZERTY (why on earth do we have a third layout !?). Honestly, I wouldn't buy this device for just its keyboard. So yes i'm drawing my tongue with a malicious grin : hey guys ! we want AZERTY too !
If you're french and that you can't type on an AZERTY keyboard with a QWERTY layout, turn in your leet card. Real nerds know the QWERTY layout, even if they've never touched a QWERTY keyboard before ;)

By the way, it wasn't necessary to mention you're french, we kind of could tell from the way you phrase your sentences ;)

Moxie said:
migo said:
Moxie said:
Putting a Dvorak layout on the *inator would be an excellent way to make sure only three people in the world bought it. It's as good an idea as making the firmware text be in Lojban - "Come on, it's a prefectly logical langue! Very effective! You'll learn the basics in, say, 2 weeks!".
You've got a pretty low opinion of the human race.

Nope, I've got a realistic opinion of the human race. How long has the Dvorak layout been around? For about 70 year now, right? Go into an ordinary computer store. See any Dvorak keyboards? Go into an ordinary office. See any Dvorak keyboards? Nope. Apart from us nerds, nobody even knows what a Dvorak keyboard is. You asked earlier, in what I suppose was meant as a rethorical question: "Wouldn't people want a machine with a more efficient keyboard layout", or something to that effect. And the answer, even though I know one shouldn't answer rethorical questions, is a resounding NO! People don't want that. They havent wanted that for the last 70 years, at least.

You can't want something you don't know about, it's not that people prefer QWERTY, it's just that it's the only thing they know. It's similar to comparing an original GameBoy to the GP2X or DS. The gameboy made sacrifices in graphics capabilities in order to have good battery life, QWERTY makes sacrifices in efficiency in order to avoid keys jamming. Now we have high capacity batteries making the compromises less necessary, and we no longer use typewriters so a layout that avoids jamming is no longer necessary. The GameBoy is comparatively much more widely used, with over 100,000,000 sales, compared to newer generation systems, but you don't see people prefering the GameBoy over the DS - that's on account of the fact that they know what the DS is.

It will, of course, be a no-brainer to redefine the keyboard in software so you can have any layout you want, and maybe it will even be possible to move keycaps around if one likes, but a Dvorak layout as a standard? Nope, the people has already spoken on that one.

That was the original question; "can it have the layout switched or come with a better one by default" - the debate started when people thought having Dvorak was ridiculous in itself and there shouldn't be the option to even switch it.

Squidge said:
I've just noticed that some places are selling "Simplified Dvorak" keyboards. Is that another layout? So we have "Traditional Dvorak" and "Simplified Dvorak" ? Whats the difference?

Sounds like even if the 'nator was Dvorak (which it's not going to be), it could still be wrong, as it could be simplified instead of traditional (and vice versa).
Traditional and Simplified are the same. Just different names. It was originally called simplified, because the layout was less complex than QWERTY. The traditional distinction came in when right and left handed Dvorak layouts were made for people with only one hand.

migo said:
That was the original question; "can it have the layout switched or come with a better one by default" - the debate started when people thought having Dvorak was ridiculous in itself and there shouldn't be the option to even switch it.

Can you supply a quote for that one? I don't remember a single person saying that...

migo said:
You can't want something you don't know about, it's not that people prefer QWERTY, it's just that it's the only thing they know. It's similar to comparing an original GameBoy to the GP2X or DS. The gameboy made
Apart from you can immediately change from an original Gameboy to the GP2X or DS without any learning curve. Compare that to 2+ months* for a new keyboard layout.

* - taken from a typical message on the Colemak forum - "My learning experience was about 3 days straight (10-12 hours /day) after that, I could type in Colemak, albeit a bit slowly. Within 2 months I was back to my normal typing speed."

migo said:

I don't think anyone is saying that Dvorak is ridiculous in itself - it's only ridiculous as a default, if only from a marketability standpoint. The sad truth is that a non-qwerty as default would make the device less attractive to buyers, especially when they'll not be typing for long periods on it, in all liklihood, and worse still, typing on QWERTYs in between (e.g. at the office), thus slowing a slow learning curve even more.

But it's always been part of the way it'll be set up (by virtue of running Linux) that you'll be able to swap the layout to a non-default non-qwerty one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back