Our New Machine, Pandora

Should this thread die?

• Yes, kill it now!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Maybe move it to off-topic?

• No, let it live until its natural death!

• Total voters

Status
Not open for further replies.
YakumoFuji said:
while we are adding shit, can I get a couple of spartan 3e 1000k chips added? that would make emus really kick ass.

i mean, if were adding all this extra other useless shit, why not add something worthwhile?? :)

that would seriously ROCK and be unique amongst handheld gaming devices.
Why add FPGAs when for the most part emulators can be done fine the old fashioned way? As has been stated already in the thread, there would be no efficient way to make the FPGAs interface with onboard memory, and using FPGAs gives you much less flexible emulators anyway.

Look at the "Gameport", a handheld that uses FPGAs only to handle old platforms that can easily be done well enough with a normal CPU (actually, don't know if anything became of this.. the website seems down).

Besides that, writing for FPGAs has got to be pretty hard. Then again, I'm not an engineer.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, another quick Design impression, I played around with non-round button forms. Could be seperate the design from other devices if it's using diamond-shaped buttons...maybe...

handhelddesign4dt3.png

(yes, there is no Analog-Stick, its just an scribble! :p )

fusion_power said:
Could be seperate the design from other devices if it's using diamond-shaped buttons...maybe...
But the shoulders aren't diamonds! It's loopholes like these that could bury this project in lawsuits :rolleyes:

Squidge said:
atomicthumbs said:
or, it could use the case as the antenna
and what is it going to use as the ground plane?

The Earth. You don't always need a specific ground plane, take a look at whip antennas mounted on people's houses, or on portable ham radios (or walkie-talkies).

Glory to the homebrew gaming empire!

Being a phone would put this in a different category. It would either be an incredible gaming/internet/media system, or a huge crappy phone. :p

I wanted to see what a metal casing would look like but I think I went slightly overboard with this one :p

fallouthb2.jpg

Larger image

Eolair said:
I wanted to see what a metal casing would look like but I think I went slightly overboard with this one :p

fallouthb2.jpg

Larger image

You need to move the Start and Select Buttons above that right Analog, tho' ;P

-God Ginrai

God Ginrai said:
I completely disagree. I have a PSP and using that analog nub is bad enough but it is also extremely uncomfortable with the way it is positioned. It is pretty much where you suggest the right analog stick should be and trust me it is not fun to get a cramp every five minutes you use the analog stick. Also, I have an idea for the analog sticks. First of all, and I'm pretty sure they are but I can't exactly remember, they had better be sticks and not nubs because the nub on the PSP sucks. Second of all, we need to think of a way for the analog sticks to exist without having them make the craigulator bulge out in your pocket. I was thinking maybe they could start slightly indented in a little crater kind of like what someone suggested for the triggers on the back. That might be a little bit awkward though if they go too far in so maybe the analog stick could be detachable for when you want to put it in your pocket. Then there could be a place to put the detached analog sticks. I'm not sure if I like that, I'm just thinking out loud here.

mavsman4457 said:
God Ginrai said:
I completely disagree. I have a PSP and using that analog nub is bad enough but it is also extremely uncomfortable with the way it is positioned. It is pretty much where you suggest the right analog stick should be and trust me it is not fun to get a cramp every five minutes you use the analog stick. Also, I have an idea for the analog sticks. First of all, and I'm pretty sure they are but I can't exactly remember, they had better be sticks and not nubs because the nub on the PSP sucks. Second of all, we need to think of a way for the analog sticks to exist without having them make the craigulator bulge out in your pocket. I was thinking maybe they could start slightly indented in a little crater kind of like what someone suggested for the triggers on the back. That might be a little bit awkward though if they go too far in so maybe the analog stick could be detachable for when you want to put it in your pocket. Then there could be a place to put the detached analog sticks. I'm not sure if I like that, I'm just thinking out loud here.

You wanna talk about cramps, try having those start and select buttons be heavy-use buttons, like A and B, whereas, with them above the stick, you won't have that problem. Think about it, how many FPSes will be on this system? Because that's really the main reason that right analog would even be there, aside from some PS1 games. (If I remember correctly, the PS1 didn't make very heavy use of the Dual Analogs, although I could be wrong, seeing as how I never owned one) By moving those 2 buttons above the right analog, you'll have a lot less people bitching about needing six buttons.

-God Ginrai

God Ginrai said:
mavsman4457 said:
God Ginrai said:

You wanna talk about cramps, try having those start and select buttons be heavy-use buttons, like A and B, whereas, with them above the stick, you won't have that problem. Think about it, how many FPSes will be on this system? Because that's really the main reason that right analog would even be there, aside from some PS1 games. (If I remember correctly, the PS1 didn't make very heavy use of the Dual Analogs, although I could be wrong, seeing as how I never owned one) By moving those 2 buttons above the right analog, you'll have a lot less people bitching about needing six buttons.

-God Ginrai

That is true, of course since I would rather play PS1 with two comfortable analog sticks and then use X and O or [] as A and B than play N64 with A and B as start and select then I'd rather have the analog stick higher but that's just my preference. And you are right that not very many PS1 games use the right analog stick but I think sports games do and I'm not really sure I just know I like PS1 more than N64 and would rather have to cope with bad N64 controls than bad PS1 controls. Also, I've kind of gotten used to playing N64 with a "C-stick." It will probably just be decided by Craig's personal preference though. Couldn't you play with A and B as X and [] or O? What does everyone else think should be higher, the stick or start and select? Oh yah and this is a quick question for Craig, is there going to be a limit for how big of an SD card we can use? I sure hope not because I want to get an 8gb card but then soon 16gb and 32gb cards are coming out that would be great to use when the prices drop from $700!!!

mavsman4457 said:
God Ginrai said:
mavsman4457 said:
God Ginrai said:

-God Ginrai

That is true, of course since I would rather play PS1 with two comfortable analog sticks and then use X and O or [] as A and B than play N64 with A and B as start and select then I'd rather have the analog stick higher but that's just my preference. And you are right that not very many PS1 games use the right analog stick but I think sports games do and I'm not really sure I just know I like PS1 more than N64 and would rather have to cope with bad N64 controls than bad PS1 controls. Also, I've kind of gotten used to playing N64 with a "C-stick." It will probably just be decided by Craig's personal preference though. Couldn't you play with A and B as X and [] or O? What does everyone else think should be higher, the stick or start and select? Oh yah and this is a quick question for Craig, is there going to be a limit for how big of an SD card we can use? I sure hope not because I want to get an 8gb card but then soon 16gb and 32gb cards are coming out that would be great to use when the prices drop from $700!!!

I'm the other way around, I'd rather have better N64 emu than PS1, especially if the only things that really takes the hit are sports games, because I generally don't like those. Also, I despise the C-stick with a divine passion, and it is completely and utterly horrible trying to play a game like OoT with the C-stick.

-God Ginrai

I just had an idea (not saying that it's the greatest; I just want feedback). Could you physically replace the analog sticks with bigger versions of the "mouse ball" that's in a Blackberry Pearl? I don't know if that would be "better" or not, but think it might be more comfortable than analog sticks if they were below the Start and Select buttons. Then again, it might just be a pain to use...

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
"eheu! tuus ancilla est flamma!" (Alas! Your slaver girl is on fire!)

javaJake said:
Ravnos said:
Personally, I don't think it needs a metal case, but if it's going to be that expensive it does need to look and feel expensive.
Same feelings here. I definitely would like it to look nice. But, besides the added weight, technical difficulties, and cost, a metal case isn't necessary for a really nice look. The PSP is one marvelous example - a smooth glossy look, with clear buttons (shoulder buttons included). All this using plastic, as far as I know.

I recommend they leave the metal casing as a low-to-medium priority item if they can get an alternative design that looks just as nice.

Yeah, it's definitely possible to make a device look and feel expensive and well-built even using plastic. The latest generation of Pavilions (the Dragon for example) have a really nice plastic case (I'm sure it's metal underneath, though, as it's a laptop, but the plastic is what you see) with a hard glossy finish and those nice "tatoos" underneath. Coupled with good-looking LED indicators, I can see such a design being a winner.

Also, glad to hear this won't be a cellphone.

Craig, could you please tell us what materials will be used for the case?

Also, please, tell us how many shoulder buttons / triggers it'll have.

I like asking questions, even if I don't get them answered :lol:

BTW. I'll be donating, but can't do it for another day or three ( no cash available ;) )

EDIT: Donation made, my bank account is a little more red than before :D

javaJake said:
The PSP is one marvelous example - a smooth glossy look
... that looks horrible the moment you touch it ;)

I hope we don't get a finger print magnet like the PSP. "Show room car shine" only looks great as long as you don't touch the finish. But not touching is kinda impossible on a handheld. So if it's going to be black, it should be matte black.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back