Our New Machine, Pandora

Should this thread die?

• Yes, kill it now!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Maybe move it to off-topic?

• No, let it live until its natural death!

• Total voters

Status
Not open for further replies.
zaffercharles said:
Exophase, you don't need 4 shoulders to emulate and play the games no, but going back to my first ever post, if this console is to be used not only for 2D but 3D games also it just seems like a natural progression to add everything we need to do it right. I'd have been happy with fullspeed 2D capability but as it is obviously more why not upgrade the controls to suit? Maybe I'm wrong but I think a lot of people would be attracted to this if it had perfect controls.
I know that for some the fun of playing old game systems on a handheld is enough regardless of the shortcomings but there are a lot more prospective customers that would want it able to do everything perfect. Don't hold resentment to that fact just accept it. We want it to do well don't we? (that last comment wasn't directed at you particularly, everyone in general.)
I suppose to a degree I'm one of them. 2 shoulders wont put me off buying but it seems a shame not to kit it out to do comfortably what we are expecting it to do.
But people only want 4 shoulders because the PS1 has them, not because games actually need that layout to run well. Saying that you need it to "do it right" doesn't really support anything to the contrary.

I don't think lacking the buttons will take away from PS1 emulation even in the slightest. For a controller it makes sense to have them there just because it's a convenient place to have more buttons without adding to the size of the controller in your hand. They're not there because the position augments playability in games, and the fact that games usually only use them for uncommon functions supports this.

Even though a lot of controllers are similar you're never going to have a design that has the same button placement as all of them. No one complains about not having 6 face buttons when emulating Genesis on GP2X, even though it's different from the 6 button controllers. You could even say the same thing about not having a "compatible" three button layout. Having 4 shoulder buttons is an obvious design comprimise and is superfluous given the keyboard, so why would it be added?

Last edited by a moderator:
I was just trying to think of the bigger picture. Anyone who has owned a GP32, GP2X or anything else modded to run open source software and emus will be fine with 2 shoulders- or most I guess, but newcomers?
maybe not. I don't mean to sound like a baby whining but this kind of opportunity, to state your ideas and opinions and have a chance to shape something you're interested in doesn't come often.
So I will keep on stating any points I see to argue this point until I've run out :)

I actually am not one who just wants this for PSX anyway, it would no doubt be cool, but think of reviewers would they like using a keyboard for functions? I don't want to have to have a keyboard slid out while playing console games, to me that seems a mess.

But there- I've made my points known and we are in disagreement.
I'll move on given noone other than X-Code and maybe one or two others not posting agree with me.

Exophase said:
No one complains about not having 6 face buttons when emulating Genesis on GP2X, even though it's different from the 6 button controllers.
I had considered complaining about it when the GP2X first came out, but knew it wouldn't get me anywhere. I always felt that the GP2X had far too few inputs :ph34r:

Vimacs said:
Craigix, are there any chances to get a metal casing? maybe two versions one with plastic one with metal?

I don't know if he's rich enough for that :ph34r:
:) If I thought there was a chance, I would have suggested 2 different versions, one 'full fat' and one for 2D - as I'd (again) be happy with newer mame, full SNES etc. Sound too much like XGP? :eek:

But who knows maybe there will be a chance of 2 casings?

X-Code said:
Could use a different tone non matt plastic, or even metal around the button areas, keeping the rest of the machine matt :)
There's an idea - sort of like the Thrustmaster Firestorm Dual Analog gamepads which definitely are very comfortable grip-wise and feel very well made thanks to the metal surfaces of the button areas (in fact the only reason I now mainly use a Saitek P990 is the right-side button layout which is better for Genesis/MAME emulators, the grip isn't all that comfortable compared to the Firestorm Dual Analog).

I'm convinced. Count one vote for metal surfaces for the button areas and matt plastic for the rest of the device body, and rubberized grip surfaces on the back.

Please can it not have rubber grips? Non of the propper console makers use rubber grips. They feel terrible.

I vote for an all brushed alu or stainless steel case.

Failing that how about a special edition one with a metal case, buttons and joysticks for sale at launch at say £250?

I remember when there was word around about an aluminum-cased anniversary-edition GP2X. Sigh :(

Matte with metal around the buttons sounds awesome, if an all metal case would be going overboard.

As for 4 shoulder buttons, I don't even think PSP has 4, does it? And that has excellent PSX emulation...

Oh, and yeah, no rubber grip. That's just silly.

Nobody really needs 4 Shoulder Buttons. this could leed to Games for the new console that use these other 2 shoulder buttons. For me, 4 Shoulder Buttons just mean finger pain. Its hard enough to controll a game with 2 Thumbs, additional 2 Shoulders are tricky and then 4 Shoulders, maybe all at the same time?!?!? No way. ^^

craigix said:
For the case we are looking at a PSP style mix of metal and plastic. If we want to price to stay the right side of £200 we can't go too crazy with the case.

It has 2 shoulder buttons like the GP2X/GP32, we don't want to bloat this thing too much.

I'll post a link to the analogue nubs we are taking a look at later too.

When you say "PSP Style" I hope, you dont mean all this horrible glaring. The PSP is an Fingerprint-collector. And the Display glares like the GP2X one. I hope your new Handheld will have an Anti-glare screen so the World finaly has an Handheld with outdoor potential. :)

Oh, please, let the analogue nubs be better than tis strange thing at the PSP. ^^"""

I find my MK2 quite usable outside, as long as it's not under direct sunlight :)

fusion_power said:
For me, 4 Shoulder Buttons just mean finger pain. Its hard enough to controll a game with 2 Thumbs, additional 2 Shoulders are tricky and then 4 Shoulders, maybe all at the same time?!?!? No way. ^^
I know I said I'll let this rest, but I have to ask have you even seen my trigger pics a couple pages back? quite the opposite of uncomfortable I think.

It'd be so cool to have a port of OpenGTA on this new console when it's playable. I've just been playing with the viewer and it is incredibly cool.

Eolair said:
Would dual shoulder buttons like this be a bad idea? At least it wouldn't make the device any thicker.

dualshouldershm6.jpg
That`s just how the MadCatz RetroCon PS1 controller i have has it`s shoulder buttons arranged to keep it slim just like the original NES pad from which it`s based on.

http://archive.gamespy.com/e32003/screens/...z/retrocon1.jpg

CIMG0561.JPG

Trooper

Wow, this looks interesting. An NES Style Pad with dual analog and 4 Shoulder Buttons :lol: And I thought I've seen everything. ^^

zaffercharles said:
fusion_power said:
For me, 4 Shoulder Buttons just mean finger pain. Its hard enough to controll a game with 2 Thumbs, additional 2 Shoulders are tricky and then 4 Shoulders, maybe all at the same time?!?!? No way. ^^
I know I said I'll let this rest, but I have to ask have you even seen my trigger pics a couple pages back? quite the opposite of uncomfortable I think.

This trigger design was interesting. But because many people here want an Slide out Keyboard (me not) I couldn't figure out how this would fit into your design. ;)

Well, these Dual Triggers from the NES style pad could be an solution. Of course this had to be tested if it "feels" good and usable.

Well that's ok then :D and I'd prefer no slide out too but I'm not trying to force my will here. See what happens. Is there a slide out on Eolairs design?

damn that's ingenious! I hadn't noticed. that makes your design even more respectable than before!

sorry if I sound like an asskisser I mean it ;)

edit: plus I think that split shoulder button thing would work fine too if there's no room on the back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back