Our New Machine, Pandora

Should this thread die?

• Yes, kill it now!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Maybe move it to off-topic?

• No, let it live until its natural death!

• Total voters

Status
Not open for further replies.
JamineBourne said:
I just had an idea (not saying that it's the greatest; I just want feedback). Could you physically replace the analog sticks with bigger versions of the "mouse ball" that's in a Blackberry Pearl? I don't know if that would be "better" or not, but think it might be more comfortable than analog sticks if they were below the Start and Select buttons. Then again, it might just be a pain to use...

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
"eheu! tuus ancilla est flamma!" (Alas! Your slaver girl is on fire!)
That's basically a trackball, and it probably would be a pain to use.

Eolair said:
javaJake said:
The PSP is one marvelous example - a smooth glossy look
... that looks horrible the moment you touch it ;)

I hope we don't get a finger print magnet like the PSP. "Show room car shine" only looks great as long as you don't touch the finish. But not touching is kinda impossible on a handheld. So if it's going to be black, it should be matte black.

I completely agree, I have the Black DS Lite, and it drives me crazy that I can see all my fingerprints on it. T_T

-God Ginrai

Last edited by a moderator:
I will suggest once again, rubberized+chrome finish ( Gizmondo style ), or anodized aluminium... And if not that, matt black or grey plastic, no gloss, no prints :)

We should make this machine look as good as it will perform.

X-Code said:
Craig, could you please tell us what materials will be used for the case?

Also, please, tell us how many shoulder buttons / triggers it'll have.

I like asking questions, even if I don't get them answered :lol:

BTW. I'll be donating, but can't do it for another day or three ( no cash available ;) )

EDIT: Donation made, my bank account is a little more red than before :D
Hi :)

For the case we are looking at a PSP style mix of metal and plastic. If we want to price to stay the right side of £200 we can't go too crazy with the case.

It has 2 shoulder buttons like the GP2X/GP32, we don't want to bloat this thing too much.

I'll post a link to the analogue nubs we are taking a look at later too.

Craig

craigix said:
Hi :)
It has 2 shoulder buttons like the GP2X/GP32, we don't want to bloat this thing too much.
Craig
:( do you think it will be really hard to fit in the equivalent of PS1 L2/R2 buttons on the back indented as in my design? that would give the correct amount of buttons and needn't bloat the thing at all.
I say it with respect, I think that would be a lot better than just 2 shoulders for a few reasons already stated.
I intend to donate regardless, but I guess I wont bother posting the upgraded design I did later on then?

kind of sad :(

EDIT: I assumed Craig was asking for donations toward the console- I opened the link after I'd finished reading the new posts here.. oops sorry! of course I'll sponsor you regardless of how many buttons is on a friggin console! just to clear that up..

It would be the perfect machine with the 4 shoulder buttons / triggers, I agree... But I also do think that if the other buttons are well placed, we may not need them ;)

Would be nice to see the sketches for the original beast design, if there are any yet :)

Would dual shoulder buttons like this be a bad idea? At least it wouldn't make the device any thicker.

dualshouldershm6.jpg

Rivroner said:
It´s horrible o_O
Sorry, i have to tell you. :p :D
You could be right. :lol:

Eolair said:
I wanted to see what a metal casing would look like but I think I went slightly overboard with this one :p

fallouthb2.jpg

Larger image

Very nice! :) I like rock-solid designs and this thing looks, like It also can be used for self-defense. :lol:
Metal Case, Metal Buttons, thats it. I hope, a Metal case is not that much expensive compared to plastic.
Oh, I think these Multimedia bottom buttons ar a little bit to much for the Handheld. Less is more like mentioned before. ;)

Pardon my noobish question, but how possible is that we could have good media player on this thing, one that would play .mkv?
It's really hard to encode mkv that has many soundtracks and subtitles.

lol, I like how everyone is ignoring craigix. :rolleyes:

First off, I wouldn't mind a plastic case, but PLEASE not glossy. It would be really nice if it had the same matte finish that the good Logitech controllers have.

As for shoulder buttons, why do we even need 4? How many PSX games actually had a useful function for all of them? Plus, if this system has 6 face buttons, it would be a more efficient approach anyways. At least if they all fit. :lol:

zaffercharles said:
:( do you think it will be really hard to fit in the equivalent of PS1 L2/R2 buttons on the back indented as in my design? that would give the correct amount of buttons and needn't bloat the thing at all.
One problem with having indents like that is it takes away space on the inside of the console that would be needed for fitting the board, etc. (save goes for a console with round sides) Although boxy is not necessarily as good looking, it's way better for fitting the internal components.

EDIT: I assumed Craig was asking for donations toward the console- I opened the link after I'd finished reading the new posts here.. oops sorry! of course I'll sponsor you regardless of how many buttons is on a friggin console! just to clear that up..

Craig was asking for donations for his run. Details of that are in THIS thread. :) Edit: Oh, I think maybe you found this link and that was what you were referring to. ;)

prairiefire said:
One problem with having indents like that is it takes away space on the inside of the console that would be needed for fitting the board, etc. (save goes for a console with round sides) Although boxy is not necessarily as good looking, it's way better for fitting the internal components.
Yes not to sound a smartass but I had thought of that, and I don't claim to know how to position all the internals. But at the same time, the console is going to be pretty wide considering the widescreen, so there should be room for what these would take. Plus it doesn't have to be round, the pic wasn't really a serious design plan just to show the triggers.

Having had a PS1 from launch and massing around 80-90 games for it, I have to say that quite a lot of games used most of the buttons.. and a lot used all four shoulders.
I don't have examples in mind right now but if you really want me to I could look up a few names.

Eolair I like the rugged look on that modded Retrocade! lol looks like you could use it in the shot-putt too!
your shoulder idea would work, but then it surely wouldn't be as comfortable as 2 trigggers on the back. You could simply rest your fingers underneath them when not in use giving stability in your hands.

Eolair said:
javaJake said:
The PSP is one marvelous example - a smooth glossy look
... that looks horrible the moment you touch it ;)

I hope we don't get a finger print magnet like the PSP. "Show room car shine" only looks great as long as you don't touch the finish. But not touching is kinda impossible on a handheld. So if it's going to be black, it should be matte black.

I agree that matte black doesn't attract fingerprints in quite the same way a gloss finish does, but a matte finish will inevitably become a glossy finish around the action buttons unless a really really good plastic can be found that can resist the wear caused on the device surface by using the buttons.
craigix said:
For the case we are looking at a PSP style mix of metal and plastic. If we want to price to stay the right side of £200 we can't go too crazy with the case.

I'll post a link to the analogue nubs we are taking a look at later too.
Don't go crazy with the case, but do keep it stylish (as in elegant, not gaudy). :)
Sorry to hear about the shoulder buttons, I really do think 4 would have made a difference and could have been implemented in a way so as not to bloat the design - Eolair's example is looking good and usable.

zaffercharles said:
Having had a PS1 from launch and massing around 80-90 games for it, I have to say that quite a lot of games used most of the buttons.. and a lot used all four shoulders.
I don't have examples in mind right now but if you really want me to I could look up a few names.

Most of the later Square/Enix games come to mind. Chrono Cross, Xenogears, Breath of Fire IV, just to name a few that many people (myself included) will be wishing to play once PSX emulation matures on it... I'm sure there are more good examples out there.

cappuchok said:
zaffercharles said:

Most of the later Square/Enix games come to mind. Chrono Cross, Xenogears, Breath of Fire IV, just to name a few that many people (myself included) will be wishing to play once PSX emulation matures on it... I'm sure there are more good examples out there.
I've played tons of PS1 RPGs on an emulator mostly using an old MS Sidewinder gamepad that has 6 face buttons and 2 L/R buttons. Mapping the back L/R buttons to the top corner face buttons worked well every time. Those buttons are used, but they just aren't used a lot. Since the device will have a keyboard there will always be lots of buttons for when you need them. Not having those as shoulders isn't going to hurt a majority of games. People are acting as if you need 4 shoulder buttons to emulate PS1 at all when in reality it barely makes a difference.

People aren't acting as if they need those buttons, they are only suggesting that having them would be better than not having them.

Craig has already stated that it will have two shoulder buttons, I for one know that it's enough as we have plenty other extra buttons available... It'll just mean that PSX gaming won't feel quite the same, but it will be equally controllable.

When I bought my first PSX I was shocked by the number of buttons and triggers, this will be the same, only need to adapt to the new button positions :lol:

Exophase, you don't need 4 shoulders to emulate and play the games no, but going back to my first ever post, if this console is to be used not only for 2D but 3D games also it just seems like a natural progression to add everything we need to do it right. I'd have been happy with fullspeed 2D capability but as it is obviously more why not upgrade the controls to suit? Maybe I'm wrong but I think a lot of people would be attracted to this if it had perfect controls.
I know that for some the fun of playing old game systems on a handheld is enough regardless of the shortcomings but there are a lot more prospective customers that would want it able to do everything perfect. Don't hold resentment to that fact just accept it. We want it to do well don't we? (that last comment wasn't directed at you particularly, everyone in general.)
I suppose to a degree I'm one of them. 2 shoulders wont put me off buying but it seems a shame not to kit it out to do comfortably what we are expecting it to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back