Our New Machine, Pandora

Should this thread die?

• Yes, kill it now!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Maybe move it to off-topic?

• No, let it live until its natural death!

• Total voters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Moxie said:
What? Is Sir Clive sponsoring this? :ph34r: :D
It looks like it, after all he's already got his hands on a prototype. ;)

SinclairABike-771352.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
realyst said:
<- Canadian

We have 500% higher mobile data rates then Rwanda thanks to our gov't encouraged monopolies.
I'd go into a lengthy tirade about why it's necessary in Canada to regulate the telecommunications industry, but I don't feel that energetic this morning. So please, feel free to move to the United States if you feel so hard done by... at least you'll have an opportunity to see what a "bargain" the mobile data rates in the US are.

sam fisher said:
atomicthumbs said:
MWeston said:
Don't forget that an all metal case would require a big ole external WiFi antenna (or two) to get those signals in and out. I for one don't want that. :)
or, it could use the case as the antenna

i dont think it works like that mate lol.

Somehow they still get mobile phones with metal casings to work. So I don't think that it would be impossible. Even this low budget sony ericsson phone has it:

GPD_45353_26_0_4000.png

But a metal casing would probably increase the price substantially...

Eolair said:
sam fisher said:
atomicthumbs said:
MWeston said:
Don't forget that an all metal case would require a big ole external WiFi antenna (or two) to get those signals in and out. I for one don't want that. :)
or, it could use the case as the antenna

i dont think it works like that mate lol.

Somehow they still get mobile phones with metal casings to work. So I don't think that it would be impossible. Even this low budget sony ericsson phone has it:

GPD_45353_26_0_4000.png

But a metal casing would probably increase the price substantially...

Id pay a bit more for a metal case. It would increase the life of the console apart from anything else so would be worth it. Plus it would make it look like a real quality piece of kit. Im not paying £199 for some plazzy effort.

Craig, could you please confirm if this going to be a phone?

Case: A dark brushed alu case would look great, would disipate heat better, and would offer nice grip.

Also Craig, please, please, please, confirm if this is going to have triggers or shoulder buttons.

:lol: Had to try... I don't think that it's going to be a phone, limiting bluetooth wouldn't make sense if it was, methinks.

I can't see any harm in having it as a phone if, like Vimacs says, it dosent cost much. It would mean you could connect to the www without attaching it to a moble or finding a wifi hotspot.

A microphone could also be used to supplement DS emulation, assuming DS emulation is possible.

Thinking about screen dimensions of the craigulator (800x480), a DS emulator could stack the DS screens at native resolution (256x192 each), or magnify the screen in a vertical mode.

I've never tried DS emulation on a PC though. Can anyone with more knowledge of the situation comment on the feasibility of DS emulation with OMAP processing? (For the purposes here, forget the possibility of Nintendo suing the pants off everyone involved ;))

Ravnos said:
Personally, I don't think it needs a metal case, but if it's going to be that expensive it does need to look and feel expensive.
You took the words right out of my mouth. If the OMAP3430 is chosen, the case design should reflect the quality of the internal components. :)

SD will be SDIO?

What kind of software people would want ?

This machine seems so complete...

I vote for voip.

Ravnos said:
Personally, I don't think it needs a metal case, but if it's going to be that expensive it does need to look and feel expensive.
Same feelings here. I definitely would like it to look nice. But, besides the added weight, technical difficulties, and cost, a metal case isn't necessary for a really nice look. The PSP is one marvelous example - a smooth glossy look, with clear buttons (shoulder buttons included). All this using plastic, as far as I know.

I recommend they leave the metal casing as a low-to-medium priority item if they can get an alternative design that looks just as nice.

Xmoon said:
I vote for voip.
VoIP will probably just be a matter of porting Gizmo Project (Linux version) to the new device... unless the requirements are too much:

ibstdc++5 or ibstdc++6
GTK+ 2.6 or higher
GConf2
ALSA

Yeah its got to look and feel real nice , i dont want to be on the train and feeling ashamed by pulling out some big ugly piece of shit when the geezer next to me is playing PSP/DS.
I know this might take some stick but the Gizmondo WS concept art was pretty cool , if this new machine looks half as good as that i'll be well happy.
Hopefully the biuld Quality will be as good as the original giz :)

while we are adding shit, can I get a couple of spartan 3e 1000k chips added? that would make emus really kick ass.

i mean, if were adding all this extra other useless shit, why not add something worthwhile?? :)

that would seriously ROCK and be unique amongst handheld gaming devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back