Our New Machine, Pandora

Should this thread die?

• Yes, kill it now!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Maybe move it to off-topic?

• No, let it live until its natural death!

• Total voters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Happy Birthday Craigix! I realize it's 1.30 in the morning but I wanted to be the first to congratulate ;)

Everyboody chill!

It was beligerence like this that prompted a departure from the thread by the developing crowd a month ago.

There seem to be two crucial points:

1) Does GBP 199 include Uk VAT?
In my opinion, and basically any other UK-er, it makes no sense to quote any price whatsoever in GBP unless it does, since tax is always included over here. Considering it's a *99 price, I think we can probably take it that it does, which means it would be about USD 327 at the current exchange rate. It's a bit more than those $300 requirements, but just close enough that I think they might swallow the difference when the system comes out.

2) How much difference in price does the i.MX31 make?
This would still be a bloody good chipset, but it's nevertheless the difference between making handheld history, and making another good handheld. If using it would give us a price of approx GBP 190, then it's not worth it over here; even in $ it would be over $300 still. However, if it would be the difference to, say, GBP 175 (approximately the price of the GP32 after a year of being out, don't forget), then it might be just sufficient a difference to the US market to make it worthwhile. Otherwise, you'll alienate them anyway, so you might as well do it with something that they might decide they do actually want after some time as with something that has less "draw back" power.

Also, it's worth bearing in mind that Exophase has hinted that DS emulation might be possible on the OMSP system. Now that is something I'd very much like to see, although for obvious ethical reasons, not preferably for another 2-3 years. The difference it would make to DosBox emulation would also be potentially critical...

Exophase said:
God Ginrai said:
I can see how some of the recent posts are hard on the ones who wouldn't pay $400, but how is mine? I was just explaining WHY that $400 is actually worth it.

-God Ginrai
I was more referring to the people basically telling him that if he doesn't like it he can leave ;P

Ah, ok, good to hear.

naples39 said:
God Ginrai said:
$400 is not that much when you take the whole of things into consideration. Do the math.

-God Ginrai
Again, you're asking the wrong question. The question isn't how many things it can do, the question is how many MORE things can it do that the GP2X can't, and whether that is worth throwing down another $400 just for those extra things. If it's worth it to you great, but just because a few more systems isn't worth $400 to me doesn't make me bad at math.

Firstly, you were comparing the new system to the PSP. You can't respond to me with a comparison to the 2X, that's just avoiding the fact that you shouldn't have mentioned commercial systems.

Second, I never said you were bad at math, I said you were neglecting to do the math, there's a large difference.

Eolair said:
Happy Birthday Craigix! I realize it's 1.30 in the morning but I wanted to be the first to congratulate
Seriously? HAPPY BIRTHDAY CRAIG!

-God Ginrai

Last edited by a moderator:
I think most people are also forgetting the PSP was sold at a loss. Licensing was its cash cow. There would be no such thing for this device so the console must be priced well enough to be profitable to craigix and co.

Knowing that the 199 includes VAT, I could probably deal with $327. I'd just have to work up my life savings again. :lol:

And happy birthday!

(Even if no one knows me yet, lol.)

$332 is alright, though there are still a couple of questions... what would the price difference be for i.mx31 and what would be included with the device at $332 dollars. Will it come with built in programs like organizer/web browser? Thats ends up being a pretty sweet price for an open linux umpc with gaming controls.

Alex. said:
sam fisher said:
This is being made by a UK company. Pay UK prices or just fuck off, simple as that. "I want, I want" doesn't always lead to "I get". You are like a spoilt child demanding constant spoiling.
I specifically remember Craig saying that it's not necessarily produced in the UK, but whatever.

Still Craigix will have to sell at UK prices to make a profit. It's no point him making $50 profit which is a measly £25. I spend more than that on food in one week.

Oh, Happy Birthday Craig.

Another thing to consider... I wonder how much press an OMAP3 gaming/PDA device would get compared to one built around the i.MX31? I think an OMAP3 handheld might generate a lot of interest in the tech world. Not just among the super geeks like us ;)

One problem is that there won't be much "wow software" in the beginning to show it off with. I assume test boards will be sent out to the elite gp2x coders that are willing to get some software ready before launch. If you go with the OMAP3430 you will need something that shows what it's really capable of.

sam fisher said:
It's no point him making $50 profit which is a measly £25. I spend more than that on food in one week.

And that's relevant how? More than one unit would supposedly be sold... in one week.

Alex. said:
sam fisher said:
It's no point him making $50 profit which is a measly £25. I spend more than that on food in one week.

And that's relevant how? More than one unit would supposedly be sold... in one week.

That's pretty damn funny! :lol: :lol: :lol:

And yeah, I was thinking about a poll too - but I'm too lazy to set one up myself. First we need to know what the price differential is on the overall packages for each chipset. Any guesses?

Completely, randomly guessing, with no facts what so ever, but:

MMSP2+ - £129
i.MX31 - £149
OMAP - £199

If the price ends up being $345ish (or even up to 400) I would still buy it, though it would take me ages to save up (seeing as I am a wimpy high school student with no constant income source).

Also, I have just one request for the new system that I don't think has been brought up: make sure that the speakers can get loud without getting distorty. I noticed this a couple days ago when I cranked a few programs up to their max volumes. >_<

That's great knowing that the price included VAT. ^_^ It's an even better deal for me at around $330.

-God Ginrai

EDIT: @Mr. Ksoft - distorty, that sounds neat. ;P

Javacat said:

MMSP2+ - £129
i.MX31 - £149
OMAP - £199
According to posts above the OMAP chip costs 50 euros so the price gap between a system with that and one with the i.MX31 cant be more than £30. :)

Turnip said:
Javacat said:

MMSP2+ - £129
i.MX31 - £149
OMAP - £199
According to posts above the OMAP chip costs 50 euros so the price gap between a system with that and one with the i.MX31 cant be more than £30. :)

Actually, we really have no idea how much it costs. The person who mentioned 50 euros said it was likely to cost 50+ euros, but we can't know how much it is for sure. But my guess would be that the i.mx31 price would probably be around £159, seeing as there was something that was missing from the i.MX31 that was in the MMSP2+ chip, was it the TV-out? It's been so many pages I can't remember. ^_^;

-God Ginrai

quartercast said:
Alex. said:
sam fisher said:

That's pretty damn funny! :lol: :lol: :lol:

And yeah, I was thinking about a poll too - but I'm too lazy to set one up myself. First we need to know what the price differential is on the overall packages for each chipset. Any guesses?

I think Craigx should create the poll, or atleast someone who can make it an official poll.

Most people will just ignore a poll that you or I created. If Craigx and co feel that he could use the information from a poll, I'm sure he would create one.

My opinion: $400 is a lot, but I've been saving for a while, and I'm going to ask for it for Christmas (if by some stroke of fate it's out by then). I'd be happier if it was an OMAP3430 because then I'd be able to show my friends how powerful it is compared to their wimpy PSPs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back